Saving in Qbrew

Share an all grain or partial grain recipe that you like or want to get feedback from the Borg.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

mtsoxfan
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Saving in Qbrew

Post by mtsoxfan »

I've been using Qbrew, because it's free.... I have saved, or so I thought, several recipes. I went to review, and I can't open.
Is there someone who uses Qbrew out there who can give me details on how to save? I'm sure I'm missing something dumb...
My options are saving it to *all files or to qbrew, which is what I saved it to.
DirtRacer
Brew Master
Brew Master

Re: Saving in Qbrew

Post by DirtRacer »

Save as the QBrew file type and also make sure that when saving it, it is being saved in the QBrew file folder and not say "My Documents" or some other one. Then it should always be there for when you want to load it. There's a chance that what you saved before was saved into some other file. Saving a recipe should automatically save it as a ".qbrew" but I'm not sure what it would save it as if "All files" was selected.

EDIT: Another thing you can try is click on File and move the cursor over Open Recent and see if anything shows up in that. Any recently saved/modified/opened recipes should show up there for quicker finding no matter where they had been saved.
Good judgment comes from experience, which comes from poor judgment.
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by RickBeer »

Saving to Qbrew is just the file type, not the location, as noted by DirtRacer. If you open QBrew, click on File, Save As, and it should show you the location, which likely will be Local Disk C:, Program Files (x86), QBrew. That's where all the files are saved. The file name you pick has to be unique, or it will tell you that you are overwriting another file.

If you know roughly what you called the files you saved, you can find them easily by clicking the Windows logo on the bottom left corner, then typing a little of the name in the search box. Right click on the file you want, left click on Properties, and it will tell you in the Target box where the file is located. Cancel out, then simply use File Explorer to move the files where you want them. Or, open them and then do File Save As and navigate to the proper location to save them - but that will leave you with two copies in two locations.
I have over 9,000 posts on "another forum", which means absolutely nothing. Mr. Beer January 2014 Brewer of the Month with all the pomp and circumstance that comes with it...

Certificate in Brewing and Distillation Technology

Sites to find beer making supplies: Adventures in Homebrewing - Mr. Beer - MoreBeer
My Beer - click to reveal
Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone
Irish Hills Red - I call this "Ann Arbor Red"
Mackinac Island Red - I call this "Michigan Red"
Oatmeal Stout - I call this Not Fat, Stout - Oatmeal Stout

Bottled 5 gallons of Ann Arbor Red on 4/18/17. Bottled 5 gallons of Michigan Red on 5/8/17.

Brewed in 2017 - 22.13 gallons (19.91 in 2012, 48.06 in 2013, 61.39 in 2014, 84.26 in 2015,46.39 in 2016)
Brewed in lifetime - 282.14 gallons
Drinkable beer on hand -  13.58 cases, with 6.11 cases ready in May and early June.
Average cost per 12 pack through all beer brewed - $6.27(ingredients only)
Root Skier
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Post by Root Skier »

I'm using Brewtoad.com now (although it doesn't have the Mr. Beer HME's). I like that I can save it online for free and edit recipies from my desktop (which won't boot at the moment), laptop, tablet or phone.
Roots Brewing
Drinking
3. MB Wild Wheat ~6.5%
4. MB Girls & Boysenberries ~7%
5. MB El Diablo Blanco 8.1% 'Hop Jump' 
8. Wheat Pale Ale (1st 5g brew, 7.5%)
9. Hard Apple Cider (12.1%)
Conditioning
11. Winter Ale (1.070 OG)
Fermenting
Mr. Frankenale
Secondary
(empty)
 Planning
12. Blackberry Wheat

Follow Root's Brewing on Untapp'd.
https://untappd.com/RootsBrewing
mtsoxfan
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by mtsoxfan »

Thanks guys... I always saved to qbrew as the file type, and saved it on desktop for ease of finding it. When I open it says windows can't open this file.
I just looked and found one, if I can't find the others, I will just redo.... inputting info is easy, finding it is another story, until now.... :whistle: Thanks.
DirtRacer
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by DirtRacer »

When you try to open them and it tells you windows can't open the file type, see if it gives you the option of selecting a program to open the file with. If so, you can select QBrew and then it should remember QBrew for that file type next time you try to open one.
Good judgment comes from experience, which comes from poor judgment.
FedoraDave
FedoraDave
FedoraDave

Post by FedoraDave »

No advice here, since my cat has more computer savvy than I do, but just my own personal experience.

I use QBrew, also, just so I can formulate recipes. I tried saving them, but somehow the names got mixed up, so when I went to open what I thought was Crown Top Pale Ale, I'd see the bill for Amber's Amber Lager, or some such. I don't know if it was the program doing this, or something I did, but I still hand-write my recipes in a composition notebook. I often print out the QBrew information before I close the program, but that's just so I have a hard copy of what I did on the computer.

I want to be sure I can still make beer when the Internet Apocalypse occurs and we're all thrust into the Dark Ages.
Obey The Hat!

http://www.homebrew-with-the-hat.com

Some regard me as a Sensei of Brewing
Fedora Brauhaus
Up Next:
Old Smokey Amber Ale
Fermenting/Conditioning
100 Years War IPA -- Rocking Chair Orange Wheat -- Ottertoberfest
Drinking:
South Ferry Steam Beer
wollffy
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Post by wollffy »

Hello people, I just downloaded qbrew. But
I am a total newb and do not know how to use it yet.
Are there instructions on its use out there? Or do you veterans have the time for a tutorial?
Thanks ahead.
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by RickBeer »

wollffy wrote:Hello people, I just downloaded qbrew. But
I am a total newb and do not know how to use it yet.
Are there instructions on its use out there? Or do you veterans have the time for a tutorial?
Thanks ahead.

http://www.thescrewybrewer.com/2010/09/ ... lator.html
I have over 9,000 posts on "another forum", which means absolutely nothing. Mr. Beer January 2014 Brewer of the Month with all the pomp and circumstance that comes with it...

Certificate in Brewing and Distillation Technology

Sites to find beer making supplies: Adventures in Homebrewing - Mr. Beer - MoreBeer
My Beer - click to reveal
Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone
Irish Hills Red - I call this "Ann Arbor Red"
Mackinac Island Red - I call this "Michigan Red"
Oatmeal Stout - I call this Not Fat, Stout - Oatmeal Stout

Bottled 5 gallons of Ann Arbor Red on 4/18/17. Bottled 5 gallons of Michigan Red on 5/8/17.

Brewed in 2017 - 22.13 gallons (19.91 in 2012, 48.06 in 2013, 61.39 in 2014, 84.26 in 2015,46.39 in 2016)
Brewed in lifetime - 282.14 gallons
Drinkable beer on hand -  13.58 cases, with 6.11 cases ready in May and early June.
Average cost per 12 pack through all beer brewed - $6.27(ingredients only)
wollffy
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Post by wollffy »

Thanks RickBeer. I'll see what I can do.
FedoraDave
FedoraDave
FedoraDave

Post by FedoraDave »

Screwy scores again!

Wollffy, you might want to bookmark Screwy's site. There's a lot of great information there. I use the priming calculator on every bottling day. It's a great site.
Obey The Hat!

http://www.homebrew-with-the-hat.com

Some regard me as a Sensei of Brewing
Fedora Brauhaus
Up Next:
Old Smokey Amber Ale
Fermenting/Conditioning
100 Years War IPA -- Rocking Chair Orange Wheat -- Ottertoberfest
Drinking:
South Ferry Steam Beer
wollffy
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Post by wollffy »

FedoraDave wrote:Screwy scores again!

Wollffy, you might want to bookmark Screwy's site. There's a lot of great information there. I use the priming calculator on every bottling day. It's a great site.
Already done Dave, thanks