No need for you, with MBU!

Vent, Rant, Chat or just talk about whatever is on your mind! Keep it civil though!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

GOF
Freshly Brewed
Freshly Brewed

Re: No need for you, with MBU!

Post by GOF »

It is strange. The sensible thing would be to grow the company as the customers grew. Supply their needs when they wished to expand their brewing options. Seem shortsighted to alienate those you sell to.
duff
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by duff »

What really boggles my mind about Mr. Beer is that they had an employee go on a podcast and talk about the 5 gallon system they are working on. Everybody was so excited to hear about it and they just started deleting questions about it. So here you are with a product that you could use to help create a more diverse user base but you won't even allow it to be talked about. And if you are developing a 5 gallon system why not let the people talk about what you can do with your future products.

It's like they want all there customers to either move on or never advance in their skills.
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

Brewing Gal wrote:NOW AIN'T THAT THE TRUTH!!!

After a 2 year hiatus from brewing (got married & had a baby) I go back to MR Beer. What a let down I actually cried!!! Where did my buddies go?
Go to the Assimilation page Brewing Gal and introduce your self to the borg. We are all here, mostly the same people that you knew on the MB forum. you will like it here. :)
Happy Hound Brewery

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison
FedoraDave
FedoraDave
FedoraDave

Post by FedoraDave »

berryman wrote:The MB company is still trying to market in the past, they had their hay day and they're not keeping up anymore. It doesn't take much to do a search on homebrewing to find a better way to make good beer. Lets face it if you brewed a MB batch as per, it might not be that great. They were selling lots of kits up front and really not too worried about repeat customers, one might do a few batches with them and quit, but there were always new customers to take their place and that's how they were making money.
I think that's true up to a point, Berry. But I look at my own experience, and I'm not so sure. I genuinely felt their Advanced Recipes were quite good, and I kept making them, even buying some recipes two or three times. I always prepared them as-is, and was rarely disappointed. It's true I preferred my own original AG recipes, for the reasons cited above (control over the product, quality of the product, and the pride of having done it all myself). But I didn't want to go AG every time I brewed, and having a couple of one-hour brew days was convenient.

When Coopers took over, the lack of more sophisticated recipes bothered me, and I dropped my Brew Club activity. Then the online community began falling apart, and it became clear they weren't going to invest in these things the way they had before the takeover. Fortunately, by this time, I was mature enough as a brewer to know I could move on, and Leigh was adept at building a new home for us, so I moved in.

I like it here.

Don't touch my stuff.
Obey The Hat!

http://www.homebrew-with-the-hat.com

Some regard me as a Sensei of Brewing
Fedora Brauhaus
Up Next:
King Duncan's Porter
Fermenting/Conditioning
Littlejohn's Ale -- Crown Top Pale Ale
Drinking:
Ottertoberfest
FedoraDave
FedoraDave
FedoraDave

Post by FedoraDave »

berryman wrote:
Brewing Gal wrote:NOW AIN'T THAT THE TRUTH!!!

After a 2 year hiatus from brewing (got married & had a baby) I go back to MR Beer. What a let down I actually cried!!! Where did my buddies go?
Go to the Assimilation page Brewing Gal and introduce your self to the borg. We are all here, mostly the same people that you knew on the MB forum. you will like it here. :)
Welcome back to The Borg, Brewing Gal!

Forgive me for not remembering you, though. Were you Brewing Gal on the MB site, too? This is the problem with getting old, my memory is shot.
Obey The Hat!

http://www.homebrew-with-the-hat.com

Some regard me as a Sensei of Brewing
Fedora Brauhaus
Up Next:
King Duncan's Porter
Fermenting/Conditioning
Littlejohn's Ale -- Crown Top Pale Ale
Drinking:
Ottertoberfest
jimjohson
Brewer of the Month
Brewer of the Month

Post by jimjohson »

RickBeer wrote:They make a lot more profit per unit direct to consumer vs wholesale.

true, but if it had not been on the shelves I wouldn't have one. as it would not have been there when swmbo was lookin for my Christmas gift so I wouldn't be brewing today. wonder how many lost sales for no reason other than they want every dime from the kits. seems to me to be a poor business plan. how ever I make no claims to the understanding of high finance.
"Filled with mingled cream and amber
I will drain that glass again.
Such hilarious visions clamber
Through the chambers of my brain
-- Quaintest thoughts -- Queerest fancies
Come to life and fade away;
Who cares how time advances?
I am drinking ale today."

Edgar Allan Poe
Brewbirds
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Brewbirds »

I don't know why, as I follow this thread, I can't stop thinking about Chia Pets that infamous go to last minute Christmas gift.

Maybe I'll see if there is a forum for introducing new types of sprouts so it can be used year round once the ads go off the air the day after Christmas (and the CEO leaves for his castle in Switzerland for the rest of the year). :p
Sibling Brewers
BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

Did you guys notice too that the Technical Issues Thread on the MB Forum mysteriously disappeared right before Christmas? It's pretty obvious they didn't want the influx of new users that typically show up after Christmas to read about what was really going on in there.
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by RickBeer »

BlackDuck wrote:Did you guys notice too that the Technical Issues Thread on the MB Forum mysteriously disappeared right before Christmas? It's pretty obvious they didn't want the influx of new users that typically show up after Christmas to read about what was really going on in there.
Due to technical issues? :laugh

It's pretty clear that technically they are out of their league. The forum hasn't improved, major forum features like messaging, signatures, and now Search don't work. One has to wonder if Coopers cut their staff/budgets so much they can't remedy things, or if the technical guru(s) quit, or if their third party quit, or what.

In short - I think Coopers doesn't have a freakin' clue how to make money over the internet, nor is it a priority for them. Their own site is a piece of garbage.

I did a Search just now for a rather hard-to-find term on the Mr. Beer forum:
beer.JPG
beer.JPG (17.67 KiB) Viewed 706 times
I have over 9,000 posts on "another forum", which means absolutely nothing. Mr. Beer January 2014 Brewer of the Month with all the pomp and circumstance that comes with it...

Certificate in Brewing and Distillation Technology

Sites to find beer making supplies: Adventures in Homebrewing - Mr. Beer - MoreBeer
My Beer - click to reveal
Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone
Irish Hills Red - I call this "Ann Arbor Red"
Mackinac Island Red - I call this "Michigan Red"
Oatmeal Stout - I call this Not Fat, Stout - Oatmeal Stout

Bottled 5 gallons of Ann Arbor Red on 4/18/17. Bottled 5 gallons of Michigan Red on 5/8/17.

Brewed in 2017 - 22.13 gallons (19.91 in 2012, 48.06 in 2013, 61.39 in 2014, 84.26 in 2015,46.39 in 2016)
Brewed in lifetime - 282.14 gallons
Drinkable beer on hand -  13.58 cases, with 6.11 cases ready in May and early June.
Average cost per 12 pack through all beer brewed - $6.27(ingredients only)
Brewbirds
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Brewbirds »

RickBeer wrote:
BlackDuck wrote:Did you guys notice too that the Technical Issues Thread on the MB Forum mysteriously disappeared right before Christmas? It's pretty obvious they didn't want the influx of new users that typically show up after Christmas to read about what was really going on in there.

It's pretty clear that technically they are out of their league. The forum hasn't improved, major forum features like messaging, signatures, and now Search don't work. One has to wonder if Coopers cut their staff/budgets so much they can't remedy things, or if the technical guru(s) quit, or if their third party quit, or what.

In short - I think Coopers doesn't have a freakin' clue how to make money over the internet, nor is it a priority for them. Their own site is a piece of garbage.

beer.JPG

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Sibling Brewers
Brewbirds
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Brewbirds »

You JJ you make a great point there. I remember when I got "The Kit" for Christmas I was extremely skeptical about it making good beer and I didn't even open it at first.
With the intention of returning I jumped on the internet to investigate and found the Borg.
As a lurker I found enough information to convince to keep the kit and give it a try. So I registered to the old site and with the help of all the great mentors started on a new adventure.

There is such a sense of enthusiasm here that lurkers can be made comfortable enough to want register so they can join the party.

This forum takes doubt and confusion off the table.
Sibling Brewers
DaYooper
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by DaYooper »

It just boggles the mind. When you buy another company, it is usually for two reasons. First ala Microsoft, to buy out your competition and then "integrate it" (aka shutter the doors and windows). The other is to actually gain some synergies between the two companies so as a whole it is stronger than its parts. Coopers in theory made a wonderful decision purchasing Mr. Beer since there was no cross competition between the two plus Coopers could then cut out the old malt company and keep all the profits (hmmm, did they just buy Mr. Beer ONLY to sell them malt???).

In theory all they had to do is change some of the labels on their supplies and dump it on the Mr. Beer site as a way to naturally progress into a larger scale. With the forum (as it was), it was simple to LISTEN and see what people want and then go out and get it for them. Hmmm, next progression for most is steeping grains? Well duh, start selling them. Although I buy everything locally that I can, not everyone has a LHBS that is convenient. It would be very easy for them to learn and grow with their customers. Shoot, with a whole new group of newbie brewers every year and a huge mailing list, it would not be that difficult to slowly become sort of a Northern Brewer.

But, perhaps the margins are so high on their extracts they simply are happy and profitable doing the ole' pump-n-dump and churning their customers. Its either that, or the people now running the show aint that smart (or running around confused).
Silverleaf Vineyard & Winery / Old Mission Hops Exchange / Porchside Vineyard / The North York Brewing Company
Yankeedag
THE BEER NONG
THE BEER NONG

Post by Yankeedag »

yeah, we need a like button... :banana:
The Nong Brewery defines "Fermentation" as: Making "Rot" a Good Thing

:borg: Welcome to the BeerBorg Information Center. You will be assimilated. Resistance is Quite Futile: WE have BEER.
jimjohson
Brewer of the Month
Brewer of the Month

Post by jimjohson »

Brewbirds wrote:
RickBeer wrote:

beer.JPG

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
can't find beer on Mr Beer site? I thought Coopers bought them not Budweiser. :muahaha:

actually as long as it has been and the (that I can see) lack of anything getting fixed.(even obamacare is makin' some headway) I don't believe the whole "technical issues" thing. I suspect your seeing exactly what they paid for, and I doubt seriously it ever will be "fixed"
"Filled with mingled cream and amber
I will drain that glass again.
Such hilarious visions clamber
Through the chambers of my brain
-- Quaintest thoughts -- Queerest fancies
Come to life and fade away;
Who cares how time advances?
I am drinking ale today."

Edgar Allan Poe
Wings_Fan_In_KC
Wings_KC
Wings_KC

Post by Wings_Fan_In_KC »

Hey, Duckie, no I didn't cuz I don't go there anymore/
Last edited by Wings_Fan_In_KC on Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm A Friggin' Hop Grenade !!
Crazy Dog Brewing
22.50 Gallons Brewed in 2014

Jan 6th: HCCD Mod II
Jan 27th: Diablo IPA Mod
Feb 18th: Pilothouse Pilsner Mod II
Mar 13th: Witty Monk Witbier Mod II
Moved in June disupting my brewing and pipeline
July 19th: OVL Mod II
Late Aug: Bewitched Amber Ale Mod
Oct: High Country Canadian Mod III
Nov: St Pat's Irish Stout/Vanilla Porter Mod