Gotta replace all my LBKs

Vent, Rant, Chat or just talk about whatever is on your mind! Keep it civil though!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

FedoraDave
FedoraDave
FedoraDave

Re: Gotta replace all my LBKs

Post by FedoraDave »

RickBeer wrote:Scratches should be visible, no?
They might be very small, which would make them hard to see, especially in the brown LBK. They'd still be harborage for microscopic nasties, though.
Obey The Hat!

http://www.homebrew-with-the-hat.com

Some regard me as a Sensei of Brewing
Fedora Brauhaus
Up Next:
King Duncan's Porter
Fermenting/Conditioning
Littlejohn's Ale -- Crown Top Pale Ale
Drinking:
Ottertoberfest
packerduf
Freshly Brewed
Freshly Brewed

Post by packerduf »

I'm at the point where I prefer glass carboys, despite the obvious risks. I currently use four; 6.5gal, 6-gal, 5-gal, and 3-gal. The 3-gallon glass carboy is fairly easy to haul around, Dave. I think you'd be quite happy with it.
I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.
dbrowning
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by dbrowning »

I don't believe there is an infection in the LBK that cant be cleaned
Personally believe your problem is something else
haerbob3
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by haerbob3 »

Dave have you tried bleach bombing your LBKS? That is the only thing I can think of that may help. I would do as you are doing. Replacement is the only way to be sure that the infection is gone.
im Leben Geduld ist eine Tugend
in Brau-es ist eine Anforderung

in life patience is a virtue
in brewing it is a requirement

You are stronger than you think you are!!!!
~~Andy Wesley 1973 -- 2013
FedoraDave
FedoraDave
FedoraDave

Post by FedoraDave »

dbrowning wrote:I don't believe there is an infection in the LBK that cant be cleaned
What, then? I'm not being snarky, I'm honestly asking. Because I've done everything I can to narrow it down, and I'm sure it's because they're infected. I don't want to bleach bomb, though. Too much chance of residual aromas/flavors getting into future brews. Frankly, I think it's time to rotate these out and start with new ones. It's not a cost; it's an investment.
Obey The Hat!

http://www.homebrew-with-the-hat.com

Some regard me as a Sensei of Brewing
Fedora Brauhaus
Up Next:
King Duncan's Porter
Fermenting/Conditioning
Littlejohn's Ale -- Crown Top Pale Ale
Drinking:
Ottertoberfest
duff
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by duff »

dbrowning wrote:I don't believe there is an infection in the LBK that cant be cleaned
I have gotten rid of all my LBKs because after a while they develop a smell that I just can't get out. The one I bleached after it developed a smell absorbed the smell of bleach and I was not able to get rid of the bleach smell. I don't know if it is just micro scratches that develop on the inside of the LBK or what it is but it does seem that the plastic on the LBKs start to retain certain things after a while. If it is retaining smells I am sure it can retain an infection.
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

FedoraDave wrote:
What, then? I'm not being snarky, I'm honestly asking. Because I've done everything I can to narrow it down, and I'm sure it's because they're infected. I don't want to bleach bomb, though. Too much chance of residual aromas/flavors getting into future brews. Frankly, I think it's time to rotate these out and start with new ones. It's not a cost; it's an investment.
FWIW, bleach bomb is fine, just rinse 3 times and then let it completely air dry. I've never had a problem with it. I bleach my 740ML PET bottles sometimes when they get a film buildup, since I can't scrub them with a brush safely.
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

I also found that it not worth taking chances with infected plastic. Even an ale pail costs less than a batch might.
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.
Tabasco
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by Tabasco »

haerbob3 wrote:WOW that blows Dave. For me the solution has been to replace my buckets every year. This year I saved the old ones for doing sours in.
I should do that, they're cheap enough.
MadBrewer
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by MadBrewer »

Dave, what about a used corny keg in good shape? They can be found for under $50. They make for a good fermenter, they are stainless steel so they are easy to clean and sanitize. And for peace of mind they are not glass. I use a Pinlock keg as a fermenter from time to time. It's the only larger fermenter I can fit into my small fermentation fridge...it's more for my smaller batches. A larger bucket or carboy doesn't fit. So I rack to a clean and sanitized keg, aerate and seal it up. I connect tubing to the "in" disconnect and run that down to a container of starsan. Ferment away.
Brew Strong My Friends...
goblin

Post by goblin »

dave, how long have you had your lbks? how many batches?

personally i do not mind the foamers. i just wait until it goes liquid again. :lol:

thats just me, i make it, i drink it, if possible.

the 3 or 6 gallon carboys cant hurt

brewon
GOF
Freshly Brewed
Freshly Brewed

Post by GOF »

A new LBK is $10. I can get a fermenting bucket locally for under $15. If the equipment is suspect it is not prohibitively expensive to replace it. Get a new fermenting container and give it a try.
Chuck N
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by Chuck N »

I remember a while back ago (quite a while ago) Eric, from the "old forum", mentioned something about once a certain kind of infection got into the plastic of the LBK - or any plastic fermenter I'm assuming - it's in there for good.
Things men have made with wakened hands, and put soft life into
Are awake through years with transferred touch and go on glowing
For long years.
And for this reason some old things are lovely
Warm still with the life of forgotten men who made them.

― D.H. Lawrence
The_Professor
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by The_Professor »

I just did the exact same thing a month or so ago, FedoraDave.
All of my kegs were getting older and I lost a batch of beer due to a small leak that I didn't notice until I went to move the keg.
I have used the kegs to lager my lagers because the fit nicely into the fridge, but I have suspected the airlock holes that work fine for primary fermentation are not good for a secondary with little active fermentation.

So I bought a couple 3 gallon Better Bottles. I just used one as a secondary and it worked fine.

I usually use a 3.5 gallon bucket to ferment 3 gallon batches. Since I ferment in an insulated half closet I had to use tubing out of the top of the Better Bottle and tape the airlock on the side to lower the clearance a little. I haven't tried to fit the Better Bottles in my fridge yet, but I think it is doable.
BrewDemon
Corp. Supporter
Corp. Supporter

Post by BrewDemon »

Beerlabelman wrote:No more plastic for me. I have 2 glass big mouth bubblers. 1 - 6.5 gallon & 1 - 5 gallon. Still use my LBK's as bottling buckets. My BDC's got really smelly & always had an odor, so they were tossed.
This hobby is the best. There's always something new to try. :cheers:

Beerlabelman, it sounds like you may have had one of our early versions…we have made a few changes since then. Call or send me a private message and I would be happy to send you a new one. Do you still have the stand?