Ralph's Summertime Pale Ale

Share an all grain or partial grain recipe that you like or want to get feedback from the Borg.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Gymrat
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Ralph's Summertime Pale Ale

Post by Gymrat »

I am going to cool my wort to 165, then throw my hops in for a half hour stand. After experimenting on several brews I find this maximizes my flavor/aroma balance to my liking when doing hop stands. I am going to use BRY-97 yeast. But it doesn't exist in the beersmith database.

BeerSmith 2 Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Ralph's Summertime Pale Ale
Brewer: Roger
Asst Brewer: Ralph The Wonderdog
Style: American Pale Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 5.70 gal
Post Boil Volume: 5.20 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.00 gal
Bottling Volume: 5.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.047 SG
Estimated Color: 5.6 SRM
Estimated IBU: 63.6 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 72.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
7 lbs Brewer's Malt, 2-Row, Premium (Great Wes Grain 1 77.8 %
2 lbs Munich 10L (Briess) (10.0 SRM) Grain 2 22.2 %
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - First Wort 60.0 min Hop 3 24.8 IBUs
2.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 4 16.3 IBUs
2.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 60.0 Hop 5 22.5 IBUs

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 9 lbs
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Mash In Add 12.25 qt of water at 162.7 F 152.0 F 60 min
mtsoxfan
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Re: Ralph's Summertime Pale Ale

Post by mtsoxfan »

Do you find you get a stronger aroma/flavor doing it this way? Or is it something different?
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

My last 2 beers I've started the 20 minute hop stand at 180. I've read recently that anything you do between 200 and 160 is good but after 160 it really decreases.
I don't see BRY-97 in the updated ingredients offered on the Beersmith site but open the yeast tab and then click on the home tab and there will be an icon to add new yeast. You can get any info you need from the yeast packet or the yeast website.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

I found more info on hopstanding to share though other things I've read have a few conflicts with this but like Roger, I'm still finding my way thru it.
Three temperature profiles that seem to be popular among homebrewers are just off boil range 190–212 °F (88–100 °C), the sub-isomerization range 160–170 °F (71–77 °C), and a tepid hop stand range 140–150 °F (60–66 °C). The 190–212 °F (88–100 °C) range will allow essential oils with higher flashpoints an easier time to solubulize into the wort and also will allow some alpha acid isomerization to occur with the best estimates of between 5–15% utilization. Some homebrewers will keep their kettle burner on low to keep the temperature of the wort elevated above 200 °F (93 °C) during their extended hop stands which would better emulate the conditions in commercial whirlpools. A hop stand in the 160–170 °F (71–77 °C) range will basically shut down the alpha acid isomerization reaction and the lower temperatures will reduce the vaporization of the essential oils. Homebrewers can use their wort chillers to bring the wort down to this range before adding the knockout hops or they can add a second dose of knockout hops. The 140–150 °F (60–66 °C) range will once again reduce vaporization of the low flashpoint oils, but may take longer to get the same amount of essential oils extracted.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
Up Next
Men In Black
Gymrat
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Gymrat »

Beer-lord wrote:My last 2 beers I've started the 20 minute hop stand at 180. I've read recently that anything you do between 200 and 160 is good but after 160 it really decreases.
I don't see BRY-97 in the updated ingredients offered on the Beersmith site but open the yeast tab and then click on the home tab and there will be an icon to add new yeast. You can get any info you need from the yeast packet or the yeast website.
I found steeping my hops in anything over 170 brings out too much bitterness. I am after flavor and aroma and I seem to get both when I toss my hops in at around 165. By the end of the half hour the temp is closer to 140.
Gymrat
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Gymrat »

mtsoxfan wrote:Do you find you get a stronger aroma/flavor doing it this way? Or is it something different?
I definitely get more flavor with a hop stand starting at 165. I also get more aroma than I got doing dry hopping with 2oz of hops. I don't know why I don't lose the aroma through the blow off tube but I don't.
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

Roger, I think I agree with you but I'm guessing that for an IPA, the higher temps are better and for pale ales, the lower. At least, that's what I seem to grab from the millions of topics I've read on the net.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
Up Next
Men In Black
Gymrat
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Gymrat »

Paul I think it depends on whether or not you like the bitter bite. Some people do, and for them the higher temp is better. I dont like it in any of my beers including IPAs. So I always go with the lower temp.
woody
Freshly Brewed
Freshly Brewed

Post by woody »

gymrat, I can't agree with you more on your take with the hop stand at lower temps. for the longest time I did late additions or some at flame out, then one batch I was not thinking and forgot to add my flame out hops, so added them after cool down had begun and low and behold baam . it was what I was looking for all along.
jeremy0209

Post by jeremy0209 »

I'd like to chime in regarding hop stands, if I may. Earlier this year, I brewed an all hop stand IPA....no boil hops, just 6 oz at knockout (4 oz Cascade, 1 oz Columbus, 1 oz Simcoe) for 30 minutes, stirring every 5-6 minutes. I also did a keg hop of 1 oz Columbus and 1 oz Cascade. On paper, it was 71 IBU (Rager?), but it didn't drink like 71 IBU. It seemed more like 50 IBU with a whole lot of hop flavor and aroma. The bitterness was there and it was firm, but it was also not biting. I thought it was fantastic. It scored a 36 in the first round of the NHC. It's definitely a technique worth exploring and experimenting.
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

Jeremy, that is VERY interesting to me! I've seen recipes that start at 10 and add a large flame out then a good amount of hops for a 30 minute hop stand but not like you describe.
What temperature did you start adding the hops for the hop stand? The recipe I'm talking about started the hop stand at 180 and pretty much stirred non stop for 30 minutes.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
Up Next
Men In Black
BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

Jeremy...I'm interested in this too. But I guess I should welcome you to the forum first, so....welcome aboard!!! I would like to suggest that you start a new thread on this topic in the Advance Techniques section as I feel there might be quite a bit of interest on this. Starting a new thread would keep Gymrat's topic on point also.

Looking forward to following the info Jeremy!!!
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
Gymrat
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Gymrat »

Welcome Jeremy
Gymrat
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Gymrat »

I kegged this beer yesterday. It finished at 1.010. That BRY-97 really kicked ass. I don't know if I mentioned this but my OG was 1.060. Which is really high for 9lbs of grain. My volume was a little low, I was shy about a half a gallon from topping the keg, but that doesn't seem like enough to take what was expected to be a 1.050 beer to 1.060. The sample tasted just right for an APA. It was pretty close to balanced with the scale leaning toward the hoppy side. It will be a good refreshing summer beer albeit one with 6.8% ABV.