Question about the Conicals

Take a minute to introduce yourself to the Borg and tell us what's brewing. You can ask questions here too!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

joechianti
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Question about the Conicals

Post by joechianti »

When I browse the Brew Demon site, I see the 3 gallon conical fermenter, but I can't seem to find the 6 gallon conical. All I find is a 6 gallon kit with a large, "squarish" white jug. I look at the replacement parts and still only see the 3 gallon conical. Does anyone here happen to know if there really is a 6 gallon conical or only a 3 gallon conical and a 6 gallon "jug" fermenter?
gwcr

Re: Question about the Conicals

Post by gwcr »

Right now there is only the 3 gallon conical. They are developing a 7 gallon conical. Don't know the release schedule on it, but I am very interested in checking it out.
Fermenting: Bucket 1 - Fresh Squeezed IPA; Bucket 2 - Empty

Kegged: Keg 1 - Irish Red; Keg 2 - Cream Ale; Keg 3 - Amber Ale; Keg 4 - APA; Keg 5 - Empty; Keg 6 - Empty; Keg 7 - Empty
The reason why the above list is so small Home Theater Build
Yankeedag
THE BEER NONG
THE BEER NONG

Post by Yankeedag »

So am I. Even though I'll be moving down under, depending on cost, I might get a few of them. Now the 7 gallon verson I could see needing a drain spigot. The 3 gallon, meh, not so much.
The Nong Brewery defines "Fermentation" as: Making "Rot" a Good Thing

:borg: Welcome to the BeerBorg Information Center. You will be assimilated. Resistance is Quite Futile: WE have BEER.
joechianti
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by joechianti »

Yankeedag wrote:So am I. Even though I'll be moving down under, depending on cost, I might get a few of them. Now the 7 gallon verson I could see needing a drain spigot. The 3 gallon, meh, not so much.
YD, are you taking all the brewing equipment you already have with you to Australia? Or are you gonna travel light and start over when you get there?
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime

Post by FrozenInTime »

He's leaving his conicals with me when he comes through here next month.

I believe BD said they are developing the bigger conical with bottom (trub dump) valve, due out somtime in 2014.
Life is short, live it to it's fullest!
joechianti
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by joechianti »

FrozenInTime wrote:He's leaving his conicals with me when he comes through here next month.

I believe BD said they are developing the bigger conical with bottom (trub dump) valve, due out somtime in 2014.
Cool. Thanks for the info. I've been sitting on the fence between getting a 6.5 gallon pail and just keep splitting a fiver between 2 LBK's. But a 7 gallon conical might be just the thing to push me to move up. Nice deal on YD's equipment. I bet there's some good stuff there.
Yankeedag
THE BEER NONG
THE BEER NONG

Post by Yankeedag »

FrozenInTime wrote:He's leaving his conicals with me when he comes through here next month. :arrow: :uwish:

My son will get what I don't take with me. :borg:

:borg: Welcome to the BeerBorg Information Center. You will be assimilated. Resistance is Quite Futile: WE have BEER.
joechianti
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by joechianti »

Yankeedag wrote:
FrozenInTime wrote:He's leaving his conicals with me when he comes through here next month. :arrow: :uwish:

That's great that your son likes to brew. My sons love to drink, but haven't yet found the motivation to brew. To be fair, they all have small kids running all around, so that can be a consideration.
Yankeedag
THE BEER NONG
THE BEER NONG

Post by Yankeedag »

joechianti wrote:
Yankeedag wrote:

That's great that your son likes to brew. My sons love to drink, but haven't yet found the motivation to brew. To be fair, they all have small kids running all around, so that can be a consideration.
He has built in Minons! teach them to help

BrownstotheBone
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Post by BrownstotheBone »

All I know is I want one.

My only problem right now is I don't have a fridge yet to control the fermentation temperature. Using a cooler now. (where the LBK fits)

Once I get a fridge and a Johnson controller I will need at least 3. If you know what I mean...
Inkleg
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Inkleg »

BrownstotheBone wrote:Once I get a fridge and a Johnson controller I will need at least 3. If you know what I mean...
All ready planning ahead. Yep, you're done for. :lol:
Naked Cat Brewery On Tap
Yazoo Sue Smoked Porter
Octoberfest
Le Petite Saison
Czech Pale Lager
A Toast to Big Fuzzy Russian Imperial Stout at 10%
Belgian Blond
Flower Power IPA
4 Kilts Clueless Belgian Strong
One Wort Two Yeast with Wyeast 2206
One Wort Two Yeast with WLP940
Shipwreck Saison
joechianti
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by joechianti »

BrownstotheBone wrote:All I know is I want one.

My only problem right now is I don't have a fridge yet to control the fermentation temperature. Using a cooler now. (where the LBK fits)

Once I get a fridge and a Johnson controller I will need at least 3. If you know what I mean...
Great point. That's one reason that's kept me using LBK's so long is how they fit so nicely in a cooler for temp control. I know we can use a large tub with frozen water bottles to keep a pail cool. Just not sure how to keep a conical cool. I'm sure someone on the Borg will figure out a way.
BrownstotheBone
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Post by BrownstotheBone »

Inkleg wrote:
BrownstotheBone wrote:Once I get a fridge and a Johnson controller I will need at least 3. If you know what I mean...
All ready planning ahead. Yep, you're done for. :lol:

Head over heels, hook, line and sinker and mama, we're all crazy now.

Not really liking the 12/12 swap out of ice week after week though. It only takes one slip up (forget before work in the early morning) and a 90 degree day and the temps will go wacky. (summertime anyway)

That's why I want a fridge big enough for a few Brew Demon conicals, or a carboy somewhere down the line. Yep, planning ahead! :idea:
jimjohson
Brewer of the Month
Brewer of the Month

Post by jimjohson »

joechianti wrote:
BrownstotheBone wrote:All I know is I want one.

Great point. That's one reason that's kept me using LBK's so long is how they fit so nicely in a cooler for temp control. I know we can use a large tub with frozen water bottles to keep a pail cool. Just not sure how to keep a conical cool. I'm sure someone on the Borg will figure out a way.
when i got my stc-1000 controller built i was planning on rotating lbks then i got an ale pail. things grew. now i got 2 ale pails and 1 lbk in the chamber. :muahaha:
"Filled with mingled cream and amber
I will drain that glass again.
Such hilarious visions clamber
Through the chambers of my brain
-- Quaintest thoughts -- Queerest fancies
Come to life and fade away;
Who cares how time advances?
I am drinking ale today."

Edgar Allan Poe
FedoraDave
FedoraDave
FedoraDave

Post by FedoraDave »

Nothing against BrewDemon, but while I intend to start ordering HMEs and recipes from them when I need, I doubt I'll be getting anymore fermenters. I have 3 LBKs, and only use two of them at a time. Getting an LBC would only be gilding the lily, AFAIC.

I also am not sure about racking with these. Right now, I use an auto-siphon, even with my LBKs. I don't know if that would work as well with the conical, and I really don't want to go the spigot/hose route.
Obey The Hat!

http://www.homebrew-with-the-hat.com

Some regard me as a Sensei of Brewing
Fedora Brauhaus
Up Next:
Old Smokey Amber Ale
Fermenting/Conditioning
100 Years War IPA -- Rocking Chair Orange Wheat -- Ottertoberfest
Drinking:
South Ferry Steam Beer