Any ETA on the 6G conical from BrewDemon?

Vent, Rant, Chat or just talk about whatever is on your mind! Keep it civil though!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Brewbirds
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Re: Any ETA on the 6G conical from BrewDemon?

Post by Brewbirds »

I'm not trying to be negative Nina here but it does seem that all the folks out there producing fermenters, no matter the WOW factor from one to the next, do seem to "neglect" that temperature control is a huge factor for home brewers and what is available to overcome said issue is limited.

I'm an LBK > cooler > frozen bottle brewer still because budget negates options at the moment.

I liked the BD conical in theory on sight but wouldn't have bought one at first; when BB2 won one earlier I figured out that by turning a styrofoam ice chest on its side I could fit the conical, with airlock on it, and have room for frozen bottles so that I was able to use it for year around brewing.

Trying to do that for any larger fermenter seems way to difficult unless you start buying fridges and temp controllers etc. for all the larger gear.

This is still a happy hobby for me and BB2 but at some point when the budget kills the fun you realize there is a lot of real good beer being made in the craft world that makes very good beer cheaper to get than your own.

< insert see saw emoticon here>

Back Peddle Statement: Don't get me wrong; if it weren't for the entry level home brewing folks, like most of you, I wouldn't be here so I am very grateful for their ingenuity.

:cheers:
Sibling Brewers
LouieMacGoo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by LouieMacGoo »

I have never used any temperature control with any of my brewing. My basement stays right around 64* to 68* year round and I've never had any major temperature fluctuations. I can certainly see that the temp could be a concern in more southern climates but not here in Michigan. IMHO I don't think you can expect any company to take into consideration if someone is going to use their product in a cooler or ice chest or and old fridge or not. They are looking at how well the fermenter works for the beer that is being brewed and they really can't control the environment that it is put into.
Worrying can spoil the taste of beer more then anything else! ~ Charles Papazian

Find out more about Yeast, Hops, Grains and Cleaning & Sanitizing
Whats Brewing

Fermenting:

#40 - Citra-Nilla Cream Ale IPA - Brewed:9/20/15

Conditioning:
#39 - Dead Fly IPA - Brewed: 8/29/15 Bottled: 9/27/15
#38 - Apricot Hefeweizen (Colab w/Adam at SOL)- Brewed: 8/8/15

Drinking
#36 - Summer Wheat: Oberon Clone - Brewed: 7/11/15
#37 - Hickory Bourbon Honey Porter - Brewed: 7/18/15
#33 - Younger No. 1 Scottish Strong Ale - Brewed: 3/29/15
#28 - Hard Mulled Cider, Brewed 10/11/14 Kegged
#29 - Strawberry Lime Cider, Brewed/10/19/14 Kegged

Gone
#34 - Second Runnings IPA - Brewed: 3/29/15
#32 - Harvest Nugget Smash v2 (TBD) Brewed 11/27/14
#35 - Columbus Pale Ale - Brewed: 5/02/15
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

Even when my room temp is 68, my fermentations often would get to 74 without help and I start to notice off tastes.
I wish I had a basement. Dig 8" here and you get water.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
jimjohson
Brewer of the Month
Brewer of the Month

Post by jimjohson »

LouieMacGoo wrote:I have never used any temperature control with any of my brewing. My basement stays right around 64* to 68* year round and I've never had any major temperature fluctuations. I can certainly see that the temp could be a concern in more southern climates but not here in Michigan. IMHO I don't think you can expect any company to take into consideration if someone is going to use their product in a cooler or ice chest or and old fridge or not. They are looking at how well the fermenter works for the beer that is being brewed and they really can't control the environment that it is put into.

I agree, like I pointed out in my post just a few modifications and I'm in. I was happy they hit numbers I could work with. :banana: :banana:
"Filled with mingled cream and amber
I will drain that glass again.
Such hilarious visions clamber
Through the chambers of my brain
-- Quaintest thoughts -- Queerest fancies
Come to life and fade away;
Who cares how time advances?
I am drinking ale today."

Edgar Allan Poe
Chuck N
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by Chuck N »

Brewbirds wrote:I'm not trying to be negative Nina here but it does seem that all the folks out there producing fermenters, no matter the WOW factor from one to the next, do seem to "neglect" that temperature control is a huge factor for home brewers and what is available to overcome said issue is limited.

I'm an LBK > cooler > frozen bottle brewer still because budget negates options at the moment.

I liked the BD conical in theory on sight but wouldn't have bought one at first; when BB2 won one earlier I figured out that by turning a styrofoam ice chest on its side I could fit the conical, with airlock on it, and have room for frozen bottles so that I was able to use it for year around brewing.

Trying to do that for any larger fermenter seems way to difficult unless you start buying fridges and temp controllers etc. for all the larger gear.

This is still a happy hobby for me and BB2 but at some point when the budget kills the fun you realize there is a lot of real good beer being made in the craft world that makes very good beer cheaper to get than your own.

< insert see saw emoticon here>

Back Peddle Statement: Don't get me wrong; if it weren't for the entry level home brewing folks, like most of you, I wouldn't be here so I am very grateful for their ingenuity.

:cheers:
Do what I did:

Go to your local lumber/home improvement store and buy a sheet or two of 3/4" bead-board and custom build your own fermentation chamber (Styrofoam cooler) to fit whatever you're fermenting in. It won't look purty but it gets the job done.
Things men have made with wakened hands, and put soft life into
Are awake through years with transferred touch and go on glowing
For long years.
And for this reason some old things are lovely
Warm still with the life of forgotten men who made them.

― D.H. Lawrence
MadBrewer
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by MadBrewer »

Is the 6 gal Brew Demon conical just a larger version of the 3 gal conical (by design)?

"Specs: Without its base the fermenter stands approx. 23 inches tall and 12 3/4 inches wide. With the base it stands approx. 27-28 inches tall and 15 1/2 inches wide."

What gives the larger version the extra height with the base? The base on the 3 gal doesn't add any height. Does the base on the 6 gal version leave a gap between the bottom of the conical and the floor? Is there any improvements to the 6 gal version to incorporate yeast dumping from the bottom?
Brew Strong My Friends...
jimjohson
Brewer of the Month
Brewer of the Month

Post by jimjohson »

MadBrewer wrote:Is the 6 gal Brew Demon conical just a larger version of the 3 gal conical (by design)?

"Specs: Without its base the fermenter stands approx. 23 inches tall and 12 3/4 inches wide. With the base it stands approx. 27-28 inches tall and 15 1/2 inches wide."

What gives the larger version the extra height with the base? The base on the 3 gal doesn't add any height. Does the base on the 6 gal version leave a gap between the bottom of the conical and the floor? Is there any improvements to the 6 gal version to incorporate yeast dumping from the bottom?

good question, I was assuming it would be a simple matter of sawing the legs off at the appropriate height. Though (having never seen the 3g version, just pics) I wonder how adding legs wouldn't add to the height. The cone touch the shelf/floor in the 3g version?

Edgar Allan Poe
MadBrewer
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by MadBrewer »

@Jim, yeah with the 3 gal version the bottom of the conical is level pretty much with the bottom of the legs. So I'm curious if the 6 gal version is the same or if the extra height when the stand is attached is an indication that the conical will be raised from the floor/shelf level leaving room to attach a valve for yeast dumping if it's not already included in the design of the 6 gal.

Here's the 3 gal:

Dawg LB Steve
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Dawg LB Steve »

I'm pretty sure Sam mentioned somewhere else on the Borg that they were making provisions for a dump valve as an option. :clink:
MONTUCKY BREWING
Currently brewing:

Next Up?
Kolsch?
Ginger Beer?
Traveling Red?
Yazoo Gerst Clone?
Peanut Butter Porter?

Currently Conditioning:
Cherry Mead
California Moscato

Currently enjoying:
Hardly Apple Cider on tap
Hardly Cherry Lime-Aid on tap
Oktoberfestive-Ale on tap
PGA Cider (Pear, Ginger, Apple) on tap 3rd Founders Cup 2016 King Of The Mountain on tap
Bottoms Up Brown on tap GOLD 2016 Ohio Brew Week Silver 2016 Ohio State Fair Silver 2016 Son of Brewzilla, Silver 2015 Son of Brewzilla, Bronze 2015 King Of The Mountain on tap
NITWIT BELGIAN STRONG ALE Banjo-Dawg RCE bottled
DAWG LB PALE ALE bottled
CITRA SLAPPED AMBER ALE bottle
MO FREEDOM SMaSH bottle
HOP TO IT IMPERIAL IPA bottle

Medal Count
Gold 3
Silver 5
Bronze 5
Actively brewing since December 2013
Sparrow
Freshly Brewed
Freshly Brewed

Post by Sparrow »

Yep, bottom dump valve pictured in this thread viewtopic.php?f=18&t=2940&p=45779&hilit ... lve#p45779
jimjohson
Brewer of the Month
Brewer of the Month

Post by jimjohson »

Well I hope that 23" includes the dump valve. I was sure planning on shortening the legs until it was just off the shelf. If not, perhaps I can find a "plug" for the hole

Edgar Allan Poe
MadBrewer
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by MadBrewer »

Sounds like this will be too tall for my fermentation fridge I use right now. But this would be something good for over the winter when I am needed to apply a little heat to a fermenter for ale temps. Especially if the price is right and the yeast dump feature works well. I will be keeping my eyes on this and my ears open.

Thanks for posting more info about it.
BrewDemon
Corp. Supporter
Corp. Supporter

Post by BrewDemon »

Our 7 gallon fermenter is on its way for final testing. Can't wait to get my hands on this beast! If all goes well, it should be ready for sale before the end of the year. I will know for sure in a week…we should have the price by the end of the month. Cheers!
Attachments
IMG_1958.JPG
IMG_1958.JPG (116.99 KiB) Viewed 2420 times
LouieMacGoo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by LouieMacGoo »

Oh man you are such a tease Sam! That picture is very intriguing.
Worrying can spoil the taste of beer more then anything else! ~ Charles Papazian

Find out more about Yeast, Hops, Grains and Cleaning & Sanitizing
Whats Brewing

Fermenting:

#40 - Citra-Nilla Cream Ale IPA - Brewed:9/20/15

Conditioning:
#39 - Dead Fly IPA - Brewed: 8/29/15 Bottled: 9/27/15
#38 - Apricot Hefeweizen (Colab w/Adam at SOL)- Brewed: 8/8/15

Drinking
#36 - Summer Wheat: Oberon Clone - Brewed: 7/11/15
#37 - Hickory Bourbon Honey Porter - Brewed: 7/18/15
#33 - Younger No. 1 Scottish Strong Ale - Brewed: 3/29/15
#28 - Hard Mulled Cider, Brewed 10/11/14 Kegged
#29 - Strawberry Lime Cider, Brewed/10/19/14 Kegged

Gone
#34 - Second Runnings IPA - Brewed: 3/29/15
#32 - Harvest Nugget Smash v2 (TBD) Brewed 11/27/14
#35 - Columbus Pale Ale - Brewed: 5/02/15
BrewDemon
Corp. Supporter
Corp. Supporter

Post by BrewDemon »

LouieMacGoo wrote:Oh man you are such a tease Sam! That picture is very intriguing.
Hopefully…we will be giving one away here very soon! And it also comes in amber:)