Pumpkin Chocolate Porter

Share an all grain or partial grain recipe that you like or want to get feedback from the Borg.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

MattKnox

Pumpkin Chocolate Porter

Post by MattKnox »

So I brewed a Chocolate Porter a few months back and it turned out exceptional. It was kind of a knock off of Yuengling Porter with a little spin. I am currently fermenting a basic pumpkin ale but got to thinking about a chocolate pumpkin porter. Sounds delicious in theory and just gives me the thoughts of evil style sleepy hallow/headless horseman. So this is what I am thinking.

2.5 gal batch

3.5 2 row
6 oz flaked maize
4 oz 80L
4 oz black malt
4 oz chocolate malt
1 can pumpkin (mash)

secondary with cocoa nibs

Munich Lager

What you guys think? I am leaving out the spices just cause I want the chocolate to come through more. That very very slight hint of pumpkin is what I'm thinking to come through.
MattKnox

Re: Pumpkin Chocolate Porter

Post by MattKnox »

Sorry I forgot to add bitter w/ .25 cascade, flavor/aroma hallertau or liberty .40
Ibasterd
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by Ibasterd »

I like the idea of a pumpkin porter. So much so that I just brewed one yesterday, minus the chocolate. Mine is a bit of an experiment and can't wait to try it. Good luck with yours.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk
What is best in life?" "To crush your enemies -- See them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women!"
MadBrewer
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by MadBrewer »

I always thought a Pumpkin Porter would be good. The Chocolate adds another level. I guess it would be a fine balance to get all the different flavors in there without one taking over the others. Sounds good.
Brew Strong My Friends...
Ibasterd
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by Ibasterd »

MadBrewer wrote:I always thought a Pumpkin Porter would be good. The Chocolate adds another level. I guess it would be a fine balance to get all the different flavors in there without one taking over the others. Sounds good.
You're the one that gave me the idea for a pumpkin porter. Thanks!

MattKnox, did you brew this yet?

What is best in life?" "To crush your enemies -- See them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women!"
MadBrewer
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by MadBrewer »

Ibasterd wrote:You're the one that gave me the idea for a pumpkin porter. Thanks!
I don't think I'll get around to one this year but next year for a Pumpkin Ale I'm going to maybe try a Pumpkin Porter or an Imperial Pumpkin Ale. Like the one from Southern Tier...a big, sweet, matly high abv Pumpkin Ale but not heavy on the spices.
Brew Strong My Friends...
MattKnox

Post by MattKnox »

Ibasterd wrote:
MadBrewer wrote:I always thought a Pumpkin Porter would be good. The Chocolate adds another level. I guess it would be a fine balance to get all the different flavors in there without one taking over the others. Sounds good.
You're the one that gave me the idea for a pumpkin porter. Thanks!

MattKnox, did you brew this yet?

Not yet. Gotta wait for my fermenter clears up in a week or two. I may change this to an ale. Not 100% sure yet, but I would like it to be ready for halloween
HerbMeowing
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by HerbMeowing »

Crime against nature.
Homebrew will get you through times of no money
Better than money will get you through times of no homebrew

- apologies to the Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers