Back to Brewing, and Mishaps

Vent, Rant, Chat or just talk about whatever is on your mind! Keep it civil though!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Back to Brewing, and Mishaps

Post by John Sand »

Not as long as others report, but I haven't brewed for three months. Yesterday's batch was only the eighth this year. It was cool and very windy, but I had the time and ingredients. I made a Northern Brewer extract kit, Plinian Legacy. And in those three months I seem to have forgotten that things always go wrong. During the outdoor boil I went inside at times, to relax or prepare other steps. Twice the flame blew out. I do use a wind block of aluminum flashing, but it blew off. The second time I turned the heat way up to regain the boil, it almost boiled over. (I stayed outside for that, but did handle hops etc) After cooling, there were tiny brown flecks in the wort. I'm not sure if that is burned bits, or stuff that blew into the kettle. I did fish some leaves out. Afterward, while cleaning up, I left the hydrometer in plain water. It read 1.002, I never checked it after breaking my old one.
Well, compared to some past brew-days, this one was uneventful. At least I used the right hops.
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.
Beer-lord

Re: Back to Brewing, and Mishaps

Post by Beer-lord »

That's what makes brewing fun, right? :)
How many ounces of hops came in the kit (how many in the boil and how many dry hopped)? I've read they use different hops than Russian River but I've also read people love the kits.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

A lot of hops. 10ml hop shots+2.25oz pellets in the boil, 4oz hopstand, I think 5+oz dry hop in two doses.
Never mind, there it is.
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

It isn't brewing if something doesn't go wrong - right?

Sort of on topic......I'm going to be making a run to Russian River over Christmas break to pick up some Pliny. It's been too long.
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

Kealia wrote:It isn't brewing if something doesn't go wrong - right?

Sort of on topic......I'm going to be making a run to Russian River over Christmas break to pick up some Pliny. It's been too long.
Sure, brag about it why don't ya!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
PABs Brewing
Planning
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
Up Next
Men In Black
Dawg LB Steve
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Dawg LB Steve »

Kealia wrote:It isn't brewing if something doesn't go wrong - right?

You NEED to make it to Asheville AND bring some with you!!!
:cheers:
Back on topic Holy Hops Batman!!!
That is why I don't drink while brewing, I mess up enough without any help!
MONTUCKY BREWING
Currently brewing:

Next Up?
Kolsch?
Ginger Beer?
Traveling Red?
Yazoo Gerst Clone?
Peanut Butter Porter?

Currently Conditioning:
Cherry Mead
California Moscato

Currently enjoying:
Hardly Apple Cider on tap
Hardly Cherry Lime-Aid on tap
Oktoberfestive-Ale on tap
PGA Cider (Pear, Ginger, Apple) on tap 3rd Founders Cup 2016 King Of The Mountain on tap
Bottoms Up Brown on tap GOLD 2016 Ohio Brew Week Silver 2016 Ohio State Fair Silver 2016 Son of Brewzilla, Silver 2015 Son of Brewzilla, Bronze 2015 King Of The Mountain on tap
NITWIT BELGIAN STRONG ALE Banjo-Dawg RCE bottled
DAWG LB PALE ALE bottled
CITRA SLAPPED AMBER ALE bottle
MO FREEDOM SMaSH bottle
HOP TO IT IMPERIAL IPA bottle

Medal Count
Gold 3
Silver 5
Bronze 5
Actively brewing since December 2013
Tabasco
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by Tabasco »

John Sand wrote:Not as long as others report, but I haven't brewed for three months. Yesterday's batch was only the eighth this year. It was cool and very windy, but I had the time and ingredients. I made a Northern Brewer extract kit, Plinian Legacy. And in those three months I seem to have forgotten that things always go wrong. During the outdoor boil I went inside at times, to relax or prepare other steps. Twice the flame blew out. I do use a wind block of aluminum flashing, but it blew off. The second time I turned the heat way up to regain the boil, it almost boiled over. (I stayed outside for that, but did handle hops etc) After cooling, there were tiny brown flecks in the wort. I'm not sure if that is burned bits, or stuff that blew into the kettle. I did fish some leaves out. Afterward, while cleaning up, I left the hydrometer in plain water. It read 1.002, I never checked it after breaking my old one.
Well, compared to some past brew-days, this one was uneventful. At least I used the right hops.
Northern Brewer is a good choice for malt extract.
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

I have a bottle of Pliny for comparison when the time comes.
Another little question that arose: I re-hydrated and proofed my yeast for the first time. I used boiled and cooled water and some wort from the boil, likewise cooled to 100. Palmer says there should be a reaction after the wort is added, there wasn't. But I poured my hydrometer sample into the jar after decanting the yeast. This morning there was foam on that sample, so I guess the yeast was good.
Never mind, there it is.
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

Pliny is soooo much different when fresh so try to get another one to compare yours too when done. :)
PABs Brewing
Planning
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
Up Next
Men In Black
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

John Sand wrote:I have a bottle of Pliny for comparison when the time comes.
Another little question that arose: I re-hydrated and proofed my yeast for the first time. I used boiled and cooled water and some wort from the boil, likewise cooled to 100. Palmer says there should be a reaction after the wort is added, there wasn't. But I poured my hydrometer sample into the jar after decanting the yeast. This morning there was foam on that sample, so I guess the yeast was good.
Sounds fine to me. How long was the wort added to the yeast before pitching? If it was quick maybe there just wasn't time for the yeastie beasties to start chowing down.
kbenton00

Post by kbenton00 »

I brewed the same kit recently. I'm lucky enough to have an alehouse that I go to that has a new Pliny keg on tap every Monday so I could do a comparison. The Northern brew is a good beer but not the same as Pliny, at least according to my taste buds :).

Regards,

KB
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

Thanks guys.
Kealia, it was 1.5 hours before pitching. The foam is spreading atop the sample. I did not sanitize my hydrometer tube before testing, as I normally just discard the sample. But I think this is too soon for any wild ferment.
Kbenton, thanks for the input. I'll report my results.
BeerLord, Pliny is very difficult to get out here, basically only by trading a high cost. This bottle came from a California sailor friend. Maybe he'll bring more next time he visits.
Never mind, there it is.
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

kbenton00 wrote:I brewed the same kit recently. I'm lucky enough to have an alehouse that I go to that has a new Pliny keg on tap every Monday so I could do a comparison. The Northern brew is a good beer but not the same as Pliny, at least according to my taste buds :).

Regards,

KB
Are you Bay Area local?
kbenton00

Post by kbenton00 »

Kealia wrote:
kbenton00 wrote:I brewed the same kit recently. I'm lucky enough to have an alehouse that I go to that has a new Pliny keg on tap every Monday so I could do a comparison. The Northern brew is a good beer but not the same as Pliny, at least according to my taste buds :).

Regards,

KB
Are you Bay Area local?
Yep... out in Livermore.
Regards,
KB

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Inkleg
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Inkleg »

Oh sure! Go meet up with the new guy Ron and just leave the rest us waiting to shake your hand and give you a hug like an old friend. :p :lol:

By the way, Welcome kbenton00. You will come to learn we are just one big dysfunctional friendly family with beer involved. :clink:
Naked Cat Brewery On Tap
Yazoo Sue Smoked Porter
Octoberfest
Le Petite Saison
Czech Pale Lager
A Toast to Big Fuzzy Russian Imperial Stout at 10%
Belgian Blond
Flower Power IPA
4 Kilts Clueless Belgian Strong
One Wort Two Yeast with Wyeast 2206
One Wort Two Yeast with WLP940
Shipwreck Saison