Burner, chiller, or beer gun?

Trying to figure out what equipment you need to get for your next brew? Have something cool to share? Do it here!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

What should I upgrade?

Burner
27%
Chiller
47%
Beer gun
No votes
Other
27%

Total votes: 15
MrBandGuy
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Burner, chiller, or beer gun?

Post by MrBandGuy »

My birthday is about a month away, so it's time to research hints to drop to my SWMBO. I'm pretty happy with my set up, but of course, feel like upgrades should be in order. I thought I'd turn to you all to debate out what you'd upgrade.

So, let's play a game! Pick one and give me why I should get it!

Burner-I currently use a cheapo turkey fryer that burns just fine. I'm eyeing a banjo burner thinking it'll be more efficient and faster.
Chiller-I have a basic chiller that works fine, but again, is a bit slow even with my whirlpool. I need to research more, but a jaded hydra design would be amazing to upgrade.
Beer gun- In currently use the "we don't need no stinkin' beer gun method. And I don't bottle to often.

I'm sure you fine folks will have lots of great advice. Thanks for narrowing my research!
Last edited by MrBandGuy on Sun May 01, 2016 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beer-lord

Re: Burner, chiller, or beer gun?

Post by Beer-lord »

I voted burner but it's almost a tie with a beer gun. I have to say my burner sips propane and is so quiet you literally have to look to see if its on.
The beer gun is just another nerdy gadget that keggers should have in their arsenal.
My birthday is about a month away but I just want a day off. Early birthday wishes to you!
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
BigPapaG
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by BigPapaG »

First of all, Happy Birthday early!

Secondly, I voted 'Other'...

Here's why...

By your own admission, you don't bottle much... So the beer gun is out...

Also, you are burnin' already, so if it ain't broke, don't fix it... The burner is out...

The chiller is a nice thought, but whether you chill slowly or more quickly you will still ave good beer.
True, you might save a little time, but it might cost more time in cleaning the new one...
It's an upgrade that might be nice but not necessary... Chiller is out!

Now, on the 'other'hand (pun intended), 'Other' allws you a myriad of options from bits and pieces that you don't already own to things non-beer related!

Wait, did I say that out loud? Sorry... Beer-Related!

Like, what are you doing for Fermentation Temp Contol, Kegging, Dedicated Beer Fridge, Freezer for a Keezer, Gift Card from the LHBS that could keep you stocked with ingredients for a year!

Just some thoughts while sipping a beer... :rolleyes:

:cool:
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

I rarely bottle too, and I find that simply turning down the pressure works fine. I voted chiller, though almost a tie for burner. I'm considering some upgrades too, and they may go together. Primarily I'd like the option of ten gallon batches. Which means a bigger pot. Which may mean a better chiller, or a better burner. But it's nowhere near my birthday! :)
Happy Birthday early. I hope you find the best present.
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

Given those options I would do the chiller. If it really chills down to 68 on 3 minutes that would be a nice time-saver and provide a great cold break for clear beers.
Inkleg
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Inkleg »

I voted chiller. I have seen the Hydra in action and it is AMAZING! Have been thinking of getting one myself. Though I LOVE my banjo burner, you might come across one of those on Craigslist or somewhere for a great price. Not so much with the Hydra.
Last edited by Inkleg on Mon May 02, 2016 6:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Naked Cat Brewery On Tap
Yazoo Sue Smoked Porter
Octoberfest
Le Petite Saison
Czech Pale Lager
A Toast to Big Fuzzy Russian Imperial Stout at 10%
Belgian Blond
Flower Power IPA
4 Kilts Clueless Belgian Strong
One Wort Two Yeast with Wyeast 2206
One Wort Two Yeast with WLP940
Shipwreck Saison
MadBrewer
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by MadBrewer »

When it comes to upgrades I look at what will help me make my beer better. Second to that are the things that can help make my brewing or process easier. With your options, I also vote chiller. A good chiller will cool your beer faster, clear your beer better and lock in hop character as well as help cool to cooler temps you may not have hit before.

A burner is a burner to me..as long as it boils wort im all good. The Beer Gun is a nice tool but I have one and I use the cheap and easy bottling wand/picnic tap filler 3 outa 5 times...because it works just fine. My personal beef with the beer gun is it doesnt come with everything you need to hook it up. You need to buy another $25 kit for the parts you need. Stupid not to just include them even if you have to charge a bit more.

But besides that Iike where what has been mentioned in regards to what else are you doing or not doing? Like mentioned, temp control especially. My "other" option would be a ph meter if you feel everything else in place and you want to look at trying something outside of what you already know or have been working with.
Brew Strong My Friends...
Pudge
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by Pudge »

From the items listed, I guess I'd go with the chiller... but I voted other. You're obviously boiling now and chilling via some method. I have a Banjo burner I rarely use anymore since our gas stove in the kitchen can manage a full wort boil. I have a Beer Gun I also rarely use. It's only real advantage is bottling for long term storage or competitions. I have been using the same old immersion chiller for years and love it.

The single best thing I have ever done for my beers is strict temp control during fermentation. Being able to ferment at an exact temp with no fluctuations was a huge step forward. My vote is in that direction and maybe even towards a kegging system of sorts. Cleaning and sanitizing bottles (not to mention Beer Gun if you get one of those) is time consuming. Bottling day was an event. Kegging is a matter of minutes and takes up a much smaller footprint in the long run.
ScrewyBrewer
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by ScrewyBrewer »

Not to just pile on what the others have already said but, definitely treat yourself to some fermentation temperature control goodies, you will thank yourself for doing so.
ezRecipe 'The easy way to awesome beer!'

'Give a man a beer and he'll waste an hour, teach him to brew beer and he'll waste a lifetime'
Jon
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by Jon »

If you go with a chiller, you can drastically speed up chilling by using your current chiller as a pre-chiller in a bucket of salted ice water. You should be able to hit lager temps in the summer in no time!
Inkleg
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Inkleg »

Now that others have mentioned about fermentation temperature control. How are you controlling fermentation temps now? That along with proper yeast pitch rates will make the biggest change for the better with your beers.
Naked Cat Brewery On Tap
Yazoo Sue Smoked Porter
Octoberfest
Le Petite Saison
Czech Pale Lager
Belgian Blond
Flower Power IPA
Shipwreck Saison
Dawg LB Steve
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Dawg LB Steve »

I went with chiller, I bought last spring the Jaded Cyclone CF and have done what Jon had mentioned, used my immersion chiller as a pre-chiller on those hot humid July/August brew days. Got it down to 110 or so with the CF and then came in with the pre-chill and helped get it down quicker. It shortened my brew day and very easy to clean.
MONTUCKY BREWING
Currently brewing:

Next Up?
Kolsch?
Ginger Beer?
Traveling Red?
Yazoo Gerst Clone?
Peanut Butter Porter?

Currently Conditioning:
Cherry Mead
California Moscato

Currently enjoying:
Hardly Apple Cider on tap
Hardly Cherry Lime-Aid on tap
Oktoberfestive-Ale on tap
PGA Cider (Pear, Ginger, Apple) on tap 3rd Founders Cup 2016 King Of The Mountain on tap
Bottoms Up Brown on tap GOLD 2016 Ohio Brew Week Silver 2016 Ohio State Fair Silver 2016 Son of Brewzilla, Silver 2015 Son of Brewzilla, Bronze 2015 King Of The Mountain on tap
NITWIT BELGIAN STRONG ALE Banjo-Dawg RCE bottled
DAWG LB PALE ALE bottled
CITRA SLAPPED AMBER ALE bottle
MO FREEDOM SMaSH bottle
HOP TO IT IMPERIAL IPA bottle

Medal Count
Gold 3
Silver 5
Bronze 5
Actively brewing since December 2013
alb
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by alb »

I voted burner. Wort will cool by itself overnight in a sealed keg in the basement with no adverse consequences. I do that a lot and so far all has been well. But a good burner will save time on brew day as well, and a good boil is crucial to making good wort.
Proprietress, The Napping Hound Tavern
serving marvelous food and magnificent beers from
Fool's Gold Brewing Co.
MrBandGuy
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by MrBandGuy »

Come on guys, surely you know me? Or not. I should post more. Anyway...

I'm well past fermentation temp control, using a Johnson controller on a wine fridge. I maintain 6 kegs on a two tap dedicated fridge in my brew room. I BiaB 5G batches in a 10 G pot. I'm really looking to shave some time off my brew day, so I targeted chiller and burner as things that can save a bit of time and trouble. I'm cool with what I have, but, you know, treat yo self.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the input. I have never explored my water, so a Ph meter might be worth considering. And maybe the Water book to learn a bit more.

Anyone have any thoughts on the Anvil line? They have an intriguing burner, made by Blichmann, but $50 less. I also feel like the Hydra would make a drastic improvement to my time (but it's a bit pricey, huh?).
Inkleg
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Inkleg »

Inkleg wrote:I voted chiller. I have seen the Hydra in action and it is AMAZING! Have been thinking of getting one myself. Though I LOVE my banjo burner, you might come across one of those on Craigslist or somewhere for a great price. Not so much with the Hydra.
With the new information thats come to light, please see the above quoted post. :D :clink:
Naked Cat Brewery On Tap
Yazoo Sue Smoked Porter
Octoberfest
Le Petite Saison
Czech Pale Lager
Belgian Blond
Flower Power IPA
Shipwreck Saison