Pennsylvania news

Vent, Rant, Chat or just talk about whatever is on your mind! Keep it civil though!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Pennsylvania news

Post by bpgreen »

looks like Pennsylvania may be loosening up.

I wish that meant there's hope for Utah.
brewnewb
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Re: Pennsylvania news

Post by brewnewb »

It's such a PITA here. Gotta go to ABC store to buy wine. Even worse - can't buy a 6 pack of beer except for a bar. Some specialty places sell it now but a few years ago it was case only at a beer dist. Thank goodness I live 10 miles from OH.

I grew up in WV. We'd buy beer at 7 - 11 in the morning heading out to go fishing. Wal Mart and Kmart had beer sections.

I'm glad I brew. Beer on tap 99% of the time at home. I took up wine making too. We have 15 gallons bottled and 5 ready to bottle on July 1.

Stupid PA rules.
Thirsting For Knowledge
The_Professor
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by The_Professor »

Perhaps Utah will allow the "secret underwear" stores to sell six packs. I wonder which would be more popular.
RayF
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by RayF »

It will be very nice to have more options and less running around. Now if we can just convince Giant Eagle to let you pay for ice in the same isle as beer I would be good to go! :give:
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

The_Professor wrote:Perhaps Utah will allow the "secret underwear" stores to sell six packs. I wonder which would be more popular.
Nobody I know of that wears the sacred undies would touch a beer. Mountain dew sure... but beer.. no.

So... unless they are using beer to lure non-sacred undie wearing heathen folks in to try to convert them into sacred undie wearing folks, I think this would be a flop LOL.
Jon
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by Jon »

brewnewb wrote:It's such a PITA here. Gotta go to ABC store to buy wine. Even worse - can't buy a 6 pack of beer except for a bar. Some specialty places sell it now but a few years ago it was case only at a beer dist. Thank goodness I live 10 miles from OH.

I grew up in WV. We'd buy beer at 7 - 11 in the morning heading out to go fishing. Wal Mart and Kmart had beer sections.

I'm glad I brew. Beer on tap 99% of the time at home. I took up wine making too. We have 15 gallons bottled and 5 ready to bottle on July 1.

Stupid PA rules.
PA beer laws were part of why I started brewing! That, and saving money on beer. When I still lived in Pittsburgh, it did help with not having to go to the beer distributor as much...and I'm pretty sure it just meant I drink more beer, not that I spent less money overall!
brewnewb
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Post by brewnewb »

RayF wrote:It will be very nice to have more options and less running around. Now if we can just convince Giant Eagle to let you pay for ice in the same isle as beer I would be good to go! :give:
Ray - have you ever been to the Market District Giant Eagle in Robinson? They got one of those exemptions to sell beer since they serve food there in a seperate section of the store. HUGE beer selection.

They are required to card everyone. My mom is 77 years old and wanted some of the IC Light Pirates cans for my brother. They carded her ..... and that made her day!
Thirsting For Knowledge
Dawg LB Steve
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Dawg LB Steve »

That's a great story brewnewb! Well before my brewing and craft beer full transformation, the only way for us in Ohio to get Yuengling was to go to PA to get it before they opened up into Ohio and didn't want whole cases of one particular style, so a couple of us would go and get different styles by the case and split out into mixed cases like a sixer of their Porter, Lord Chesterfields, Premium Light and Black and Tan for example. Besides the gas for the drive and paying a somewhat higher price than we were used to for beer around here, we didn't make a lot of trips.
MONTUCKY BREWING
Currently brewing:

Next Up?
Kolsch?
Ginger Beer?
Traveling Red?
Yazoo Gerst Clone?
Peanut Butter Porter?

Currently Conditioning:
Cherry Mead
California Moscato

Currently enjoying:
Hardly Apple Cider on tap
Hardly Cherry Lime-Aid on tap
Oktoberfestive-Ale on tap
PGA Cider (Pear, Ginger, Apple) on tap 3rd Founders Cup 2016 King Of The Mountain on tap
Bottoms Up Brown on tap GOLD 2016 Ohio Brew Week Silver 2016 Ohio State Fair Silver 2016 Son of Brewzilla, Silver 2015 Son of Brewzilla, Bronze 2015 King Of The Mountain on tap
NITWIT BELGIAN STRONG ALE Banjo-Dawg RCE bottled
DAWG LB PALE ALE bottled
CITRA SLAPPED AMBER ALE bottle
MO FREEDOM SMaSH bottle
HOP TO IT IMPERIAL IPA bottle

Medal Count
Gold 3
Silver 5
Bronze 5
Actively brewing since December 2013
Jon
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by Jon »

brewnewb wrote:
RayF wrote:It will be very nice to have more options and less running around. Now if we can just convince Giant Eagle to let you pay for ice in the same isle as beer I would be good to go! :give:
Ray - have you ever been to the Market District Giant Eagle in Robinson? They got one of those exemptions to sell beer since they serve food there in a seperate section of the store. HUGE beer selection.

They are required to card everyone. My mom is 77 years old and wanted some of the IC Light Pirates cans for my brother. They carded her ..... and that made her day!
The one in Shadyside was like that before I moved away, too!

No cases, though--only 6-packs at bar prices. :/