High ABV beer, whats your limit.

Vent, Rant, Chat or just talk about whatever is on your mind! Keep it civil though!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

What do you consider a high ABV beer?

4-5% Lets not get too crazy.
6%
6-7% This is the high ABV sweet spot.
33%
8-9% You have my ear, I'm listening.
33%
10-12+% Now we're talking.
28%

Total votes: 18
Inkleg
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

High ABV beer, whats your limit.

Post by Inkleg »

Since it was brought up on another thread it has gotten me thinking. Just like this hobby can be anything you want it to be, everyone has their idea of how much is too much. I'm a brewer of high ABV (what I refer to as dessert beers), those that are to be sipped and enjoyed at the end of the day, but I also brew beers in the 3.5% range.
Right now I'm enjoying my Toast to Big Fuzzy RIS 2016 at 10.5%. I brew this beer each National Homebrew Day in memory of my hound mix Mya who was larger than life and deserved a big beer to be toasted with.

So what's your limit?
Naked Cat Brewery On Tap
Yazoo Sue Smoked Porter
Octoberfest
Le Petite Saison
Czech Pale Lager
A Toast to Big Fuzzy Russian Imperial Stout at 10%
Belgian Blond
Flower Power IPA
4 Kilts Clueless Belgian Strong
One Wort Two Yeast with Wyeast 2206
One Wort Two Yeast with WLP940
Shipwreck Saison
Beer-lord

Re: High ABV beer, whats your limit.

Post by Beer-lord »

I think I consider anything above 7ish as high ABV though 8-10% is my 'enjoy' ABV though a great amount of what I brew is 6.5%.
The 10-12% area I usually reserve to share with friends (splitting some) except for beers like Ruin Ten and big stouts which I can enjoy myself (at home) taking my time. Kind of like a desert beer that you suggest.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

I don't have a limit per second, but I have found few beers above 8℅ that have been executed well. A lot of DIPAs are just not easy to drink, although I do like a small warming feel every once in a while. Enjoy By (Stone) has done this well in the past, but not always.

This past weekend I had a number of 7℅ IPAs that drank like session IPAs. So, I won't write anything off due to An alone - just darkness [GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

Most of what I brew is between a two of your choices, which is 7-9%. Although I like the ones higher than that on an occasion, they are usually ones that I buy, just because I can't balance them out like the pros can.
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
Dawg LB Steve
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Dawg LB Steve »

Most all of what I brew is between 5.5 and 7%, I'd consider 8% and up high.

Sent from my XT830C using Tapatalk
MONTUCKY BREWING
Currently brewing:

Next Up?
Kolsch?
Ginger Beer?
Traveling Red?
Yazoo Gerst Clone?
Peanut Butter Porter?

Currently Conditioning:
Cherry Mead
California Moscato

Currently enjoying:
Hardly Apple Cider on tap
Hardly Cherry Lime-Aid on tap
Oktoberfestive-Ale on tap
PGA Cider (Pear, Ginger, Apple) on tap 3rd Founders Cup 2016 King Of The Mountain on tap
Bottoms Up Brown on tap GOLD 2016 Ohio Brew Week Silver 2016 Ohio State Fair Silver 2016 Son of Brewzilla, Silver 2015 Son of Brewzilla, Bronze 2015 King Of The Mountain on tap
NITWIT BELGIAN STRONG ALE Banjo-Dawg RCE bottled
DAWG LB PALE ALE bottled
CITRA SLAPPED AMBER ALE bottle
MO FREEDOM SMaSH bottle
HOP TO IT IMPERIAL IPA bottle

Medal Count
Gold 3
Silver 5
Bronze 5
Actively brewing since December 2013
docpd
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by docpd »

I generally don't brew beers much higher than 8% or so. However, I enjoy a well crafted high ABV beer. Triton Brewery here in Indy has brewed a number of barrel aged beers in the 10-13% ABV range that have been amazing. In my opinion their best is "Batch 1", an Imperial Stout brewed when they opened 6 years ago and aged 6 years in a bourbon barrel.
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

Inkleg wrote:Since it was brought up on another thread it has gotten me thinking.
And Me too on the same and a good Post Ink. I like beers in the 6-7 range. When I give a homemade beer to a friend, they expect them to be a little more then a 4.8 - 5.2, that said I like a touch more ABV myself to a point. I have a Imperial Saison going now that was SG 1.090 and should finish less then 1.010 and a Porter that OG 1.077 and should finish under 1.020..... But I have a Cologne Kolsch coming up that I've brewed before and it is around 4.9 and one of my favorites and a Raspberry wheat that will be about the same ABV and also a Apple Ale with Low ABV. But also have a heavy IPA 1.085 in the works with all home grown hops.
Inkleg wrote: So what's your limit?
Have None :)
Happy Hound Brewery

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison
Whamolagan
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by Whamolagan »

I am between 4.8 and 6. I like to drink a lot of beer and not get drunk. I brew a lot of session so I can experiment with hops due to that is my weakness in brewing knowledge.
dbrowning
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by dbrowning »

I brew mostly between 5 and 6
But I do keep a keg of "Pappy's Weekend Lager" on tap at all times in warm weather for when the grandkids are here on weekends
Its always somewhere around 4 - 4.5%
And I have done a few right at or just over 8%
Those last a long time.
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

Wait, there's a limit?
I generally brew 5-6%, and shop for the same. I've brewed 8+%, and love IIPAs, up to around 10%.
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

I usually brew beers that are about 7% abv, give or take a percent.

The biggest brew I did was a little over 10%. It was freaky good, but I had to take it easy with that batch.

Note: I meant to type really good, but it got corrected to freaky good. I left that because it was fitting.
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Once it hits 7% (6.5% even) it has to be really special for me to want to buy it. I very much prefer 3-6% beers.

That said, I do brew 10-12% beers on occasion, but they are "special" and usually not of the hoppy variety. I see absolutely no point in a 9% IPA, when I can get as much hop flavor and aroma in a 5-6% beer I make myself using my all late addition hopstand methods. So I don't buy a lot of Stone beers. They don't make me feel like they are "special" enough. I'd take a 7% Piney or the like over any 9% IPA.