Boil the BD wort

Yes BrewDemon and Mr. Beer kits are pretty darn easy but sometime you need a little help from the Borg to get you on the right track. Post your questions here!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

i-ferment

Boil the BD wort

Post by i-ferment »

Is it discouraged to boil the Brew Demon liquid extracts? For many reason I've read that a 60 minute boil is what must be done. Making tasty beer is more important to me than saving time.

Thanks in advance!
mashani
mashani
mashani

Re: Boil the BD wort

Post by mashani »

You don't need to boil the brew demon HMEs because they are already boiled with the bittering and flavoring and aroma hops.

That said, if you are adding your own hops as a late addition you can boil them for a short while if you like. It is not a "fixed rule". But you will change the character. This is not necessarily a bad thing, it just depends on what you want.

If you brew all grain then you want to boil for a longer time. 60 minutes is good and "standard practice", although if it is "necessary" is something we could debate. Because some of us here are heretics and do stuff that is outside of "standard practice". Because we have found that it works fine.

If you are brewing with steeped grains and extract, then honestly a 10-20 minute boil is enough as long as you know what your doing and are getting the IBUs you want from the hop additions.

I do lots of short boils, because I'm a heretic.
Dawg LB Steve
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Dawg LB Steve »

If you boil a Hopped Liquid Malt Extract, as Brew Demons are, it will change the profile of the beer you are making. This is why they tell you to boil the water, kill the heat (flameout) then mix the can in. Boiling an already hopped extract will probably make it way too bitter.
MONTUCKY BREWING
Currently brewing:

Next Up?
Kolsch?
Ginger Beer?
Traveling Red?
Yazoo Gerst Clone?
Peanut Butter Porter?

Currently Conditioning:
Cherry Mead
California Moscato

Currently enjoying:
Hardly Apple Cider on tap
Hardly Cherry Lime-Aid on tap
Oktoberfestive-Ale on tap
PGA Cider (Pear, Ginger, Apple) on tap 3rd Founders Cup 2016 King Of The Mountain on tap
Bottoms Up Brown on tap GOLD 2016 Ohio Brew Week Silver 2016 Ohio State Fair Silver 2016 Son of Brewzilla, Silver 2015 Son of Brewzilla, Bronze 2015 King Of The Mountain on tap
NITWIT BELGIAN STRONG ALE Banjo-Dawg RCE bottled
DAWG LB PALE ALE bottled
CITRA SLAPPED AMBER ALE bottle
MO FREEDOM SMaSH bottle
HOP TO IT IMPERIAL IPA bottle

Medal Count
Gold 3
Silver 5
Bronze 5
Actively brewing since December 2013
i-ferment

Post by i-ferment »

Makes sense. Thank you both replies.

So if I were brewing using grains and a HME could I:

1. Steep grains for 20 min at 160F
2. Bring to boil and remove from heat
3. Mix in HME
4. Cool
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Yes, you can do exactly that. Also, if adding some hops for more flavor or aroma, then just throw them into the steep and boil for however much time you want for the results you intend, and then add the HMEs.
i-ferment

Post by i-ferment »

mashani wrote:Yes, you can do exactly that. Also, if adding some hops for more flavor or aroma, then just throw them into the steep and boil for however much time you want for the results you intend, and then add the HMEs.
Thanks that is good to know.
WOW! That is really freaking cool! :jumpy:
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by RickBeer »

Highly discouraged. They already did the 60 minute boil for you. It is called Hopped Malt Extract for a reason. You boiled Unhopped Malt Extract, or LME/DME.
I have over 9,000 posts on "another forum", which means absolutely nothing. Mr. Beer January 2014 Brewer of the Month with all the pomp and circumstance that comes with it...

Certificate in Brewing and Distillation Technology

Sites to find beer making supplies: Adventures in Homebrewing - Mr. Beer - MoreBeer
My Beer - click to reveal
Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone
Irish Hills Red - I call this "Ann Arbor Red"
Mackinac Island Red - I call this "Michigan Red"
Oatmeal Stout - I call this Not Fat, Stout - Oatmeal Stout

Bottled 5 gallons of Ann Arbor Red on 4/18/17. Bottled 5 gallons of Michigan Red on 5/8/17.

Brewed in 2017 - 22.13 gallons (19.91 in 2012, 48.06 in 2013, 61.39 in 2014, 84.26 in 2015,46.39 in 2016)
Brewed in lifetime - 282.14 gallons
Drinkable beer on hand -  13.58 cases, with 6.11 cases ready in May and early June.
Average cost per 12 pack through all beer brewed - $6.27(ingredients only)
Whamolagan
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by Whamolagan »

i-ferment wrote:
mashani wrote:Yes, you can do exactly that. Also, if adding some hops for more flavor or aroma, then just throw them into the steep and boil for however much time you want for the results you intend, and then add the HMEs.
Thanks that is good to know.
WOW! That is really freaking cool! :jumpy:
Just understand that the longer the boiling of the hops, the more bitterness you will pull out. And viceaversa less boil will add aroma
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

i-ferment:

This charts isn;t 100% accurate, but it's a great baseline/starting point to understand what boiling hops for different times does.

So for your request, when dealing with an HME that has already been boiled, they have added hops at different times to achieve a desired bitterness, flavor and aroma. So if you took that HME and boiled it again (say for 20 minutes) you be moving the hops at 10 minutes that were added for aroma and "moving" them to flavor additions. The flavor additions would be added to the bitterness, etc.

I hope that helps and doesn't confuse things for you.