Blichmann Beer Gun

There are so many gadgets and other stuff you can use to brew! Ask, learn and share what you got here!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Rebel_B
Braumeister
Braumeister

Re: Blichmann Beer Gun

Post by Rebel_B »

BlackDuck wrote:I put my Blichmann Beer Gun to the test this past weekend. It was really easy to use. I bled the pressure off my keg and set it at 5 psi. Then hooked the gas line set at 5 psi to the gun. Purged the bottle with CO2, filled the bottle (which foamed out the top a little), purged the head space with CO2 and capped on foam.

I opened one of the bottles tonight and poured it into a glass. It poured perfect. Great head and carbonation. The whole process really was easy. I bottled 6 bottles in about 10 minutes time.

The gun is an awesome contraption.
I noticed that one of my local breweries uses several Blichmann beer guns to fill growlers & bottles at Reuben's Brews.
Drinking: Columbus Double India Pale Ale
Bottled/Conditioning: Trippel
Fermenting: Columbus Double India Pale Ale, Trippel
GUI_Center

Post by GUI_Center »

I finally got around to testing out my beerguns, yes I said guns. I originally ordered a beergun from China and let me tell you this was a TERRIBLE idea. The first beergun I got had a defective gas valve. I tried to get a refund but instead settled on them sending me another beergun. Both took 20 days+ to receive. The second beergun they sent was not defective thankfully. Then I ended up winning gold for an IPA and my prize was a Blichmann beergun. So now I had both to test out.

So anyway, I finally got around to testing them. I first decided to test the Chinese version as that was the one I paid for. It ended up being better than my friends but not perfect. I would get about 1/4-1/2" of foam from the get go of filling and then once the beer and foam hit the bottle neck it was just foam from there on out. Not great and far cry from what I saw in beergun videos. I did try different psi's for filling with no change.

That was last night and I was bummed but decided tonight to try the Blichmann. Well it worked and it worked GREAT! No foaming and a perfect fill on a couple of bottles. I am so relieved, and I know when I bottle my NHC beer it will have none of the issues that I have dealt with filling all the myriad of ways I had tried previously.

Moral of the story, don't buy from China and the Blichmann beergun really works great.
Brewer formerly known as CoolDaddy on MrBeerFans
Rebel_B
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by Rebel_B »

GUI_Center wrote: Moral of the story, don't buy from China and the Blichmann beergun really works great.
Agreed! I rarely bottle any longer, but I have used my Blichmann gun several times: perfect!
Drinking: Columbus Double India Pale Ale
Bottled/Conditioning: Trippel
Fermenting: Columbus Double India Pale Ale, Trippel
ScrewyBrewer
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by ScrewyBrewer »

Beer Guns rule! They make bottling interesting, almost like fun, and the beer is always perfectly carbonated and trub free.
ezRecipe 'The easy way to awesome beer!'

'Give a man a beer and he'll waste an hour, teach him to brew beer and he'll waste a lifetime'
GUI_Center

Post by GUI_Center »

On page 2 I explained that my friends beergun gave me a lot of issues. Thankfully mine seems to work perfectly. I do not know where the difference came from that would have cause it. This will definitely make bottling for competitions much easier with consistent results.
Brewer formerly known as CoolDaddy on MrBeerFans