Blichmann Beer Gun

There are so many gadgets and other stuff you can use to brew! Ask, learn and share what you got here!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

BlackDuck

Blichmann Beer Gun

Post by BlackDuck »

I put my Blichmann Beer Gun to the test this past weekend. It was really easy to use. I bled the pressure off my keg and set it at 5 psi. Then hooked the gas line set at 5 psi to the gun. Purged the bottle with CO2, filled the bottle (which foamed out the top a little), purged the head space with CO2 and capped on foam.

I opened one of the bottles tonight and poured it into a glass. It poured perfect. Great head and carbonation. The whole process really was easy. I bottled 6 bottles in about 10 minutes time.

The gun is an awesome contraption.
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
Beer-lord

Re: Blichmann Beer Gun

Post by Beer-lord »

I like it too but got spoiled with how easy it is to keg and now if I use it, it's likely going to be for more than a six pack. The trick is to be sure your keg is carbed like you like it and the rest just works.
It's not cheap and you can make your own but I'm lazy and like how simple it was for a stupid old guy like me.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
ScrewyBrewer
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by ScrewyBrewer »

I keg a lot more often than I bottle these days but I love having a beer gun too. While it does take a little additional setup up time, the beer gun can't be beat when it comes to bottling a case or two of beer. I also like the carbonation level consistency in each bottle filled with a beer gun, they all carb up the same as my kegged beer.
ezRecipe 'The easy way to awesome beer!'

'Give a man a beer and he'll waste an hour, teach him to brew beer and he'll waste a lifetime'
Dawg LB Steve
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Dawg LB Steve »

Love mine, what went out to you guys was bottled with it.
MONTUCKY BREWING
Currently brewing:

Next Up?
Kolsch?
Ginger Beer?
Traveling Red?
Yazoo Gerst Clone?
Peanut Butter Porter?

Currently Conditioning:
Cherry Mead
California Moscato

Currently enjoying:
Hardly Apple Cider on tap
Hardly Cherry Lime-Aid on tap
Oktoberfestive-Ale on tap
PGA Cider (Pear, Ginger, Apple) on tap 3rd Founders Cup 2016 King Of The Mountain on tap
Bottoms Up Brown on tap GOLD 2016 Ohio Brew Week Silver 2016 Ohio State Fair Silver 2016 Son of Brewzilla, Silver 2015 Son of Brewzilla, Bronze 2015 King Of The Mountain on tap
NITWIT BELGIAN STRONG ALE Banjo-Dawg RCE bottled
DAWG LB PALE ALE bottled
CITRA SLAPPED AMBER ALE bottle
MO FREEDOM SMaSH bottle
HOP TO IT IMPERIAL IPA bottle

Medal Count
Gold 3
Silver 5
Bronze 5
Actively brewing since December 2013
MadBrewer
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by MadBrewer »

The Beer Gun is a pretty damn nice tool. I usually over carbonate just slightly before bottling. I have noticed some carb loss when I bottle say a full case of beer or so. Maybe thats from the beer in the keg releasing co2 to equalize the pressure in the keg once we purge it to bottle. Bottling a full case of beer or so from the keg can take a while, that's more time for co2 to come out of the beer in the keg.
Brew Strong My Friends...
Dawg LB Steve
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Dawg LB Steve »

Just recently bottled a case, every six I stopped and capped to avoid that.
MONTUCKY BREWING
Currently brewing:

Next Up?
Kolsch?
Ginger Beer?
Traveling Red?
Yazoo Gerst Clone?
Peanut Butter Porter?

Currently Conditioning:
Cherry Mead
California Moscato

Currently enjoying:
PGA Cider (Pear, Ginger, Apple) on tap 3rd Founders Cup 2016 King Of The Mountain on tap
Bottoms Up Brown on tap GOLD 2016 Ohio Brew Week Silver 2016 Ohio State Fair Silver 2016 Son of Brewzilla, Silver 2015 Son of Brewzilla, Bronze 2015 King Of The Mountain on tap
DAWG LB PALE ALE bottled
MO FREEDOM SMaSH bottle

Medal Count
Gold 3
Silver 5
Bronze 5
ScrewyBrewer
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by ScrewyBrewer »

Dawg LB Steve wrote:Just recently bottled a case, every six I stopped and capped to avoid that.
Yep same here. Bottle six or eight then cap them on foam. I also put the sanitized bottles inside an Igloo cooler and cover them with frozen ice sheets, like those used inside of keg jackets. Having the bottles cold when filling reduces the amount of foaming and my beer doesn't seem to lack carbonation even after weeks in the bottle. Possibly longer but they don't seem to last much longer than that around my house. :cool:

'Give a man a beer and he'll waste an hour, teach him to brew beer and he'll waste a lifetime'
BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

I bottled mine into basement temp bottles. They foamed a little, but not too much.
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
MadBrewer
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by MadBrewer »

Screwy and Dawg* I cap every bottle individually, I'm not talking carbonation in the bottle I'm saying as we purge the co2 of the keg prior to bottling it makes sense the co2 in the beer in the KEG would then come out of solution filling the keg trying to equalize pressure...like opening a bottle of soda. That's where I would assume there would be carbonation losses.

I'm not talking significant differences, but that's the only way I can think of it. So the longer you have that keg purged and the more bottles to fill over that time, there's co2 comming out of solution in the beer in the keg while doing so.
Brew Strong My Friends...
ScrewyBrewer
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by ScrewyBrewer »

I also have mine setup so the keg stays inside the refrigerator during the bottling. I don't think what I do eliminates all of the Co2 pressure losses during filling but between the cold bottles and the chilled beer I feel it must reduce the losses. I'd say if the bottled beer still seems less carbonated then carbonating the kegged beer a few psi over what you would typically serve it should make up the difference.

Stinkfist
Freshly Brewed
Freshly Brewed

Post by Stinkfist »

Love my blichmann actually love all my blichmann stuff :-)
Third Eye Brewing

Since I am too lazy to update this every brew...I will update with list of awards ;)

2013 Upper Mississippi Mashout
Gold medal 10A American Pale Ale
Bronze medal 10B American Amber Ale

2012 Upper Mississippi Mash out
Silver medal 3B European Amber Lager Oktoberfest

2012 National Homebrew Competition First round
Gold Medal 3B European Amber Lager Oktoberfest

2012 Minnesota State Fair Homebrew Competition
Gold Medal 3B European Amber Lager
Gold Medal 10A American Pale Ale
-3rd place Overall!
LouieMacGoo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by LouieMacGoo »

Just got an email from Brad at BeerSmith regarding Counter Pressure Bottling. Some good information. Even if you don't use the BeerSmith app you should sign up for the emails and follow the podcast. Brad always has a good information on homebrewing in general.
Home Brewing with BeerSmith

Kegging your home brewed beer is a great time saver. Once I started to keg my beer, I never went back. However, kegging presents a dilemma for the home brewer who wants to compete, as most competitions require bottled beer. Also you sometimes want to share a bottle of homebrew with your friends.

A beer gun or counter-pressure bottle filler provides the best of both worlds - allowing the brewer to bottle beer directly from the keg without losing carbonation. Virtually all commercial breweries use counter-pressure bottling systems to fill their production beer bottles.

Counter pressure bottle fillers come in many shapes and sizes. One common design is the T shaped filler shown to the right. Another popular alternative is the Beer Gun, a counter pressure filler with a simplified trigger system to provide one-handed operation.

How a Counter Pressure Bottle Filler Works

The premise behind a counter pressure bottle filler is to fill the bottle while it is under constant pressure to prevent foaming and loss of carbonation. The actual process takes place in stages:
•In the first stage, the bottle is filled with CO2 to purge all of the air from the bottle
•Second, the bottle is pressurized so that the CO2 in the bottle is at the same pressure as the carbonated beer to be added
•Third, the bottle is filled, and CO2 is allowed to escape from the bottle as beer displaces it while maintaining constant pressure
•Finally the filler is removed and the bottle is quickly capped

If the steps are done properly, the beer will be under constant pressure during the entire process and will retain its carbonation.

Recently the Blichmann Beer Gun has become a very popular bottle filler. The advantage of the beer gun is that it replaces a complex system of separate valves on the older T-fillers (pictured above) with a simple trigger system making single handed operation possible. This lets you hold the bottle with one hand and fill with the other. Using the older models usually requires two people - one to hold the bottle while a second person operates the valves on the filler. Here's a video of the gun in action.

Counter Pressure Bottling in Practice

While the theory is straightforward, using a counter pressure bottle filler the first few times can be a challenge. Here are some tips I've learned to help keep things under control:
•Keep the keg at serving pressure, and if possible use a filling line that is approximately the same as your normal serving line. This will assure that the bottle is carbonated at the correct pressure.
•Chill the bottles in the refrigerator before using so there is no change in temperature when the beer contacts the bottle.
•The bottles must be sterilized, which presents a challenge since they also should be cold. One trick I've used is to fill them with an iodophor solution before putting in the fridge, then dump before filling.
•Make sure that the bottle filler is properly seated before filling. I've had more than one popout and make a big mess.
•Fill the bottles nearly to the brim, as removing the filler will leave you with the correct amont of headspace.
•Moderate spillover when removing the filler is normal due to the pressure release before capping.
•Cap as quickly as possible after removing the filler to minimize the chance of air getting into the bottle.

I also recommend reading our summary on kegging your homebrew beer linked above. Thanks for reading!

Brad Smith

BeerSmith.com

Follow BeerSmith on Twitter and Facebook
Worrying can spoil the taste of beer more then anything else! ~ Charles Papazian

Find out more about Yeast, Hops, Grains and Cleaning & Sanitizing
Whats Brewing

Fermenting:

#40 - Citra-Nilla Cream Ale IPA - Brewed:9/20/15

Conditioning:
#39 - Dead Fly IPA - Brewed: 8/29/15 Bottled: 9/27/15
#38 - Apricot Hefeweizen (Colab w/Adam at SOL)- Brewed: 8/8/15

Drinking
#36 - Summer Wheat: Oberon Clone - Brewed: 7/11/15
#37 - Hickory Bourbon Honey Porter - Brewed: 7/18/15
#33 - Younger No. 1 Scottish Strong Ale - Brewed: 3/29/15
#28 - Hard Mulled Cider, Brewed 10/11/14 Kegged
#29 - Strawberry Lime Cider, Brewed/10/19/14 Kegged

Gone
#34 - Second Runnings IPA - Brewed: 3/29/15
#32 - Harvest Nugget Smash v2 (TBD) Brewed 11/27/14
#35 - Columbus Pale Ale - Brewed: 5/02/15
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

Brad's podcasts are usually very good though long.
He's given some good advice on their use.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
Up Next
Men In Black
Beer-lord

The new kid in town

Post by Beer-lord »

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/the- ... tle-filler

The first foam-free bottle filler, for perfectly carbonated bottles that you can fill at serving pressure!

Precise control over carbonation. Dial-in your psi, force carbonate your beer, and bottle sediment-free homebrew with perfect carbonation. Maintain every last bubble with foam-free bottling at serving pressure for commercial-quality, competition-ready homebrew.

Ergonomic, intuitive control and one-handed operation. Foam-free beer, even at serving pressure. Go from keg to bottle at just 15 seconds a pop!

Ridiculously easy to clean. The Last Straw™ disassembles in an instant for quick and painless cleaning. Plus, premium materials prevent contamination—everything that touches your beer is stainless or silicone.

Convenience and control for better beer, faster. The Last Straw™ is the last bottle filler you’ll ever need.

Kit Includes:

The Last Straw™ Bottle Filler
Tubing & Fittings

NOTE: You will need two CO2 ports or a wye splitter to use The Last Straw™.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
Up Next
Men In Black
Dawg LB Steve
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Dawg LB Steve »

Same type of method of bottling as the Blichman but much less in price and a little simpler operation since your pushing on the tip in the bottle to release the beer, where you need to hold the trigger for the Blichman, and it has a hook built into the handle so you can cap. I just put my Blichman in a sanitized bottle that is captured inside the keezer so it stays upright in between capping and filling. I think I might have bought that instead if I had seen it before hand.
MONTUCKY BREWING
Currently brewing:

Next Up?
Kolsch?
Ginger Beer?
Traveling Red?
Yazoo Gerst Clone?
Peanut Butter Porter?

Currently Conditioning:
Cherry Mead
California Moscato

Currently enjoying:
DAWG LB PALE ALE bottled
MO FREEDOM SMaSH bottle

Medal Count
Gold 3
Silver 5
Bronze 5