My First Brew Ever! ...and a few questions

Yes BrewDemon and Mr. Beer kits are pretty darn easy but sometime you need a little help from the Borg to get you on the right track. Post your questions here!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Capitals82

My First Brew Ever! ...and a few questions

Post by Capitals82 »

I would first just like to say that this site rocks! I have been reading through posts here for a couple weeks and have learned so much from this site.

Anyway, I recently purchased a Brew Demon signature 2-gallon kit and have started my first batch. I let it ferment for a little over 2 weeks and I just bottled everything on Tuesday. The instuctions say when adding the sugar to the bottles, that you have to dissolve the sugar by turning the bottles upside down but not to shake it. Does it really need to dissolve completely, or will it matter if the sugar just sits there at the bottom?

Also, For my next batch i'm thinking of adding some fruit flavor to the beer (perhaps get some fresh cherries). Has anyone done this before with a brewdemon/mrbeer mixes-refill kit to enhance the flavor? If so, would I just add it to the boil first or just pitch it into the LBC?

Thanks!
Rock The Red!
Gymrat
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Re: My First Brew Ever! ...and a few questions

Post by Gymrat »

No the sugar doesn't have to be dissolved. The yeast will find it no matter what. As for the fruit I can't answer that question as I have never used it.
BigPapaG
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by BigPapaG »

Hi Capitals82! Welcome to the Borg! :borg:

As Gymrat stated, the yeast will find the sugar just fine... No worries.

Adding fruit seems to work best after primary fermentation is complete (10-14 days).

This way the fruit flavor and aroma is not blown off by the rapid generation of CO2 during the initial fermentation phase.

Most people use canned fruit that is already pasturized as opposed to fresh fruit which can harbor all sorts of wild bugs... (yeasts and bacteria).

Oregon is a well known choice...

You will find that most folks will, in general, let their wort ferment for about 21 days to insure full fermentation... Maybe a bit longer for a late fruit addition.

Then, prime and bottle, allowing the bottles to carb at room temp for about two weeks.

From there, a bit more time at room temp or cooler to condition (usually 1-3 weeks or more, longer time for bigger ABV beers, spiced beers and some fruit beers).

You will see this representrd in posts as 3-2-3, 3-2-4 or some variation of that, etc.

Good luck with your first brew and Happy Brewing!

:cool:
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by RickBeer »

:bbwelc:

+1 on everything BigPapaG said including Oregon fruit.

I use fruit quite a bit as SWMBO likes it. Wait a week. Sanitize blender, puree Oregon fruit, open lid of LBK and gently pour it in, then close the lid, all nice and quick (like 10 seconds). I've found that cherries are more subtle than say raspberries which are very noticeable. Blueberries were so-so.

Oh, and as a new brewer, here's the address to send that first batch to for our certified testing:

RickBeer
123 I Will Drink Your Beer Lane
Ann Arbor, MI 48105
I have over 9,000 posts on "another forum", which means absolutely nothing. Mr. Beer January 2014 Brewer of the Month with all the pomp and circumstance that comes with it...

Certificate in Brewing and Distillation Technology

Sites to find beer making supplies: Adventures in Homebrewing - Mr. Beer - MoreBeer
My Beer - click to reveal
Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone
Irish Hills Red - I call this "Ann Arbor Red"
Mackinac Island Red - I call this "Michigan Red"
Oatmeal Stout - I call this Not Fat, Stout - Oatmeal Stout

Bottled 5 gallons of Ann Arbor Red on 4/18/17. Bottled 5 gallons of Michigan Red on 5/8/17.

Brewed in 2017 - 22.13 gallons (19.91 in 2012, 48.06 in 2013, 61.39 in 2014, 84.26 in 2015,46.39 in 2016)
Brewed in lifetime - 282.14 gallons
Drinkable beer on hand -  13.58 cases, with 6.11 cases ready in May and early June.
Average cost per 12 pack through all beer brewed - $6.27(ingredients only)
jimjohson
Brewer of the Month
Brewer of the Month

Post by jimjohson »

welcome to the forum, Capitals82
"Filled with mingled cream and amber
I will drain that glass again.
Such hilarious visions clamber
Through the chambers of my brain
-- Quaintest thoughts -- Queerest fancies
Come to life and fade away;
Who cares how time advances?
I am drinking ale today."

Edgar Allan Poe
D34THSPAWN
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Post by D34THSPAWN »

Welcome to the forum!

BigPapaG is spot on, I made the mistake of adding the raspberries to the wort right away (following Mr. B's recipe) To my knowledge (anyone feel free to correct me if I am wrong) what happens is all the sugars ferment out and all that is left is the bitter/sour flavors in the fruit so it ended up being rather bitter unfortunately. Adding after two weeks and letting it sit for another week or so would be much better.
Deadhouse Brewing Pipeline
Drinking: Northern Brewer Nut Brown, Pale Rider, Charon's oar Conditioning: Charon's OarFermenting: Single Obol Stout Next Up: Persephone's Tears Blackberry Wheat
Capitals82

Post by Capitals82 »

RickBeer wrote::bbwelc:

I use fruit quite a bit as SWMBO likes it. Wait a week. Sanitize blender, puree Oregon fruit, open lid of LBK and gently pour it in, then close the lid, all nice and quick (like 10 seconds). I've found that cherries are more subtle than say raspberries which are very noticeable. Blueberries were so-so.

Oh, and as a new brewer, here's the address to send that first batch to for our certified testing:

RickBeer
Ann Arbor, MI 48105
Great post Rick, and thank you ALL for the quick and helpfull replys!! I will definitely consider the Oregon puree fruit for my next batch... but I ordered a Weizenbier for my next batch, I'm curious as to what fruit added would taste good with it.

Rick, I'll be glad to send a sample your way, in exchange for your finest :give: :clink:

Thanks!
Rock The Red!
Bluejaye
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by Bluejaye »

All your questions appear to be answered, so I'll just say welcome to the forums.
Funky Skunk Brewing
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by Funky Skunk Brewing »

All posts before me here were spot on so I will just give you a welcome to the :borg:

Glad you found the community and happy brewing!!
Eddie Garrison
Funky Skunk Brewing
Making Every Ounce Count
Brewbirds
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Brewbirds »

I see your in good hands so I'll just add:
Brew Birds.jpg
Brew Birds.jpg (28.74 KiB) Viewed 910 times
Sibling Brewers
gwcr

Post by gwcr »

Nothing more to add so...

Welcome to the forum Capitals82! Glad you found us!!

:welcome: :borg:
Fermenting: Bucket 1 - Fresh Squeezed IPA; Bucket 2 - Empty

Kegged: Keg 1 - Irish Red; Keg 2 - Cream Ale; Keg 3 - Amber Ale; Keg 4 - APA; Keg 5 - Empty; Keg 6 - Empty; Keg 7 - Empty
The reason why the above list is so small Home Theater Build
wollffy
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Post by wollffy »

Assimilation commenced!
Welcome to the Borg.
Root Skier
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Post by Root Skier »

Capitals82 wrote:
RickBeer wrote::bbwelc:

RickBeer
Ann Arbor, MI 48105
Great post Rick, and thank you ALL for the quick and helpfull replys!! I will definitely consider the Oregon puree fruit for my next batch... but I ordered a Weizenbier for my next batch, I'm curious as to what fruit added would taste good with it.

Rick, I'll be glad to send a sample your way, in exchange for your finest :give: :clink:

Thanks!
I'd go with blackberry or raspberry with a wheat based beer.
Roots Brewing
Drinking
3. MB Wild Wheat ~6.5%
4. MB Girls & Boysenberries ~7%
5. MB El Diablo Blanco 8.1% 'Hop Jump' 
8. Wheat Pale Ale (1st 5g brew, 7.5%)
9. Hard Apple Cider (12.1%)
Conditioning
11. Winter Ale (1.070 OG)
Fermenting
Mr. Frankenale
Secondary
(empty)
 Planning
12. Blackberry Wheat

Follow Root's Brewing on Untapp'd.
https://untappd.com/RootsBrewing
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

Your questions have been answered above with good advice, so I'll just say Welcome to The Borg.
You'll find that there is a lot of brewing knowledge on this site and all you got to do is to ask.
:clink: Welcome and Happy Brewing :clink:
Happy Hound Brewery

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

Welcome Caps! Keep brewing, keep learning, have fun!
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.