Let everyone know your competition results and any lessons learned

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

FedoraDave
FedoraDave
FedoraDave

Homebrew Alley VIII results

Post by FedoraDave »

I didn't win anything.

But that's cool. Congratulations to the brewers who won! And the second place winners in both categories that I entered brewed the same styles I submitted, a German Pils and an Ordinary Bitter.

I don't know how close to style my Bitter is, because I'm not all that familiar with it. But I researched the German Pils, and I think I was close to style. I know it's a really good beer! So the guy who won second place must have brewed a terrific Pils, if that's not a backhanded way to toot my own horn.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to getting my scoresheets and seeing what numbers I earned, and especially seeing the judges' comments.

I figure it this way; the Bitter is a good beer. I like it, and figured I'd enter it just to see what the judges said. The Pils I brewed specifically for the comp, and I know it's good, and I believe it's true to style. But someone made a better beer than I did, and there's no shame in that. If a guy hits 40 home runs in a season, but loses out on the home run crown to a guy who hit 43 -- well, the other guy was better, and 40 home runs is nothing to be ashamed of!

I'll follow up this thread when I get the scoresheets.
Obey The Hat!

http://www.homebrew-with-the-hat.com

Some regard me as a Sensei of Brewing
Fedora Brauhaus
Up Next:
100 Years War IPA
Fermenting/Conditioning
Rocking Chair Orange Wheat -- Ottertoberfest
Drinking:
Rye-Guy IPA -- South Ferry Steam Beer
Beer-lord

Re: Homebrew Alley VIII results

Post by Beer-lord »

No worries Dave. You brew the beer you like and though it's nice to hear what judges think, it's objective anyway.
I like the way you think. And, they've not seen the last of yo u.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
Funky Skunk Brewing
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by Funky Skunk Brewing »

Thanks for the updates, Dave.

As you said, it's not about winning or losing in competitions but gaining that valuable feedback from the judges. Just like you said, it may have been only by a point or two that you missed out on the podium. If you like your beer that's really all that matters in the end. The feedback will just aid you (as you know) in brewing better beer in the end. Especially when it comes to staying in styles for BJCP competitions and brews.

:clink:
Eddie Garrison
Funky Skunk Brewing
Making Every Ounce Count
FedoraDave
FedoraDave
FedoraDave

Post by FedoraDave »

Yeah, like my brother mentioned in my Facebook post about it, it's too bad I didn't get any hardware, but the Pearly Pils is a righteous beer. And he's had enough of it to know! :lol:

My beer pleases me and my friends and family with whom I share it. If I received a score in the 30s for it, I'll be very happy, indeed, and kudos to the guy who scored higher!
Obey The Hat!

Fedora Brauhaus
Up Next:
100 Years War IPA
Fermenting/Conditioning
Drinking:
Funky Skunk Brewing
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by Funky Skunk Brewing »

FedoraDave wrote:Yeah, like my brother mentioned in my Facebook post about it, it's too bad I didn't get any hardware, but the Pearly Pils is a righteous beer. And he's had enough of it to know! :lol:

My beer pleases me and my friends and family with whom I share it. If I received a score in the 30s for it, I'll be very happy, indeed, and kudos to the guy who scored higher!
To me, that's the right attitude to have for competitions. Medals, trophies, etc. are always nice and are fun to win. Though it's hardly about that here. And hey, if the people you share it with like, and it sounds like at least one (brother) does :D :D That's what home brewing is all about.
Eddie Garrison
Funky Skunk Brewing
Making Every Ounce Count
russki
Russki
Russki

Post by russki »

As others have already mentioned, the feedback is always great, even if you don't place. Sometimes there's a lot of competition, and you need an amazing beer to place. I've scored 41 on one of my beers a while back and didn't place. Anything in the 30s and up validates that your process is solid and your beers are damn good. The wait for scoresheets is the worst though!
In Soviet Russia, beer brews you!
My brews
Fermenting:
Strawberry Rhubarb Wheat (5-gal)(AG)
Cranberry Mead
Buck-Flower Mead
Flanders Red (5-gal)(AG) x 2
On Tap:
Hefeweizen (5-gal)(AG)
Oaked Pear Cider
FedoraDave
FedoraDave
FedoraDave

Post by FedoraDave »

russki wrote:As others have already mentioned, the feedback is always great, even if you don't place. Sometimes there's a lot of competition, and you need an amazing beer to place. I've scored 41 on one of my beers a while back and didn't place. Anything in the 30s and up validates that your process is solid and your beers are damn good. The wait for scoresheets is the worst though!
Ain't that the truth!

Forty-one is an epic score, too! Makes you wonder what the winners scored. Their beer must have restored sight to the blind!

I scored a 32 with Amber's Amber Lager at Homebrew Alley VII last year, and took third. I honestly thought the Pearly Pils was a better beer, so I'm hoping for something around 35 or higher. And again, the guys who took ribbons did better than that, so jolly good to them!

I wonder, though, if the Pilsner category is more strict that Dark Lagers. I had a pretty complicated grain bill for the Amber, but the Pearly Pils was pretty much just Pilsner malt and some Crystal, for body. Hard to hide flaws with a bare-bones malt bill like that.

What the heck, it's useless to speculate. I'll get specific feedback in a few weeks, and I can analyze that.
Obey The Hat!

Fedora Brauhaus
Up Next:
100 Years War IPA
Fermenting/Conditioning
Drinking: