Pot Size Again

There are so many gadgets and other stuff you can use to brew! Ask, learn and share what you got here!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Pot Size Again

Post by John Sand »

An old question: We all agree that bigger is better. But how much is enough? Joking aside, Amazon has a great deal on stockpots. The 60 quart is about $64, the 40qt only $47. I've always been thrifty, I'm not a gear hoard brewer, I think the 40qt will do. Of course, the rule is to get the next size up. Which would be great for 10 gallon batches. Except that I love 5 gallon batches. Ten gallons would require a spigot, legs for the burner, another fermenter, maybe kegs. (Who wants to bottle 10 gallons?) I also think that if I want bigger batches, I can make 8+ gallons in the 40qt. What do you think? Do you have 40 or 60qt pots? Do you want larger or smaller? Are you going to Amazon to buy one? Which?
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.
Beer-lord

Re: Pot Size Again

Post by Beer-lord »

Since I use the BIAB method to brew, larger is not only better, it's needed. I've only done 10 gallons once though I plan to do more of it and my 15 gallon pot was barely big enough for a not so big beer. While I could do a large OG, 10 gallon beer in it with BIAB, I'd have to do some sparging.
I started off with a 9 gallon pot and now it sits there for the time I may need to brew on the stove again. So basically, imagine where you see yourself in the future as a brewer and buy for that (if you can afford the money, space, etc) because the future is here before you know it.
I started with a 1 liter flask for starters, then got a 2 liter and recently got a 3 liter. Same with a chiller, got a small one and ended up needed to use a larger one. Wasted money? Maybe but if you get your money out of it, it's a bonus since you still get to drink your beer because this is the best hobby of them all!
<and I probably still didn't give you an answer to your question>
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
DaYooper
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by DaYooper »

John Sand wrote:An old question: We all agree that bigger is better. But how much is enough? Joking aside, Amazon has a great deal on stockpots. The 60 quart is about $64, the 40qt only $47. I've always been thrifty, I'm not a gear hoard brewer, I think the 40qt will do. Of course, the rule is to get the next size up. Which would be great for 10 gallon batches. Except that I love 5 gallon batches. Ten gallons would require a spigot, legs for the burner, another fermenter, maybe kegs. (Who wants to bottle 10 gallons?) I also think that if I want bigger batches, I can make 8+ gallons in the 40qt. What do you think? Do you have 40 or 60qt pots? Do you want larger or smaller? Are you going to Amazon to buy one? Which?
Got a link John?
Silverleaf Vineyard & Winery / Old Mission Hops Exchange / Porchside Vineyard / The North York Brewing Company
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

Never mind, there it is.
LouieMacGoo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by LouieMacGoo »

This is the pot I bought from Amazon. I only do 5 gallon BIAB and it has worked out very well for me over the last 2 years. At some point I want to go to a stainless pot with a drain valve but it will have to wait for now.

Winware Professional Aluminum 40 Quart Stockpot
Worrying can spoil the taste of beer more then anything else! ~ Charles Papazian

Find out more about Yeast, Hops, Grains and Cleaning & Sanitizing
Whats Brewing

Fermenting:

#40 - Citra-Nilla Cream Ale IPA - Brewed:9/20/15

Conditioning:
#39 - Dead Fly IPA - Brewed: 8/29/15 Bottled: 9/27/15
#38 - Apricot Hefeweizen (Colab w/Adam at SOL)- Brewed: 8/8/15

Drinking
#36 - Summer Wheat: Oberon Clone - Brewed: 7/11/15
#37 - Hickory Bourbon Honey Porter - Brewed: 7/18/15
#33 - Younger No. 1 Scottish Strong Ale - Brewed: 3/29/15
#28 - Hard Mulled Cider, Brewed 10/11/14 Kegged
#29 - Strawberry Lime Cider, Brewed/10/19/14 Kegged

Gone
#34 - Second Runnings IPA - Brewed: 3/29/15
#32 - Harvest Nugget Smash v2 (TBD) Brewed 11/27/14
#35 - Columbus Pale Ale - Brewed: 5/02/15
teutonic terror
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by teutonic terror »

I've bought the 40 qt Winware from Amazon also, and I presently do 6 gallon batches, give or take, of 1.050-1.065 beer.
I could probably do stronger brews, but I'm satisfied.
That is using a 48 qt cooler as a mash tun, with a 8.5-9 gallon boil. Dicey at times , but doable!
Crazy Climber
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by Crazy Climber »

No lid, so don't forget to factor that separate purchase into the cost.
Crazy Climber:
I'm not particularly crazy (IMO), and I don't rock-climb. It's just the name of a video game I used to like to play, back in the 80's.
Crazy Climber
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by Crazy Climber »

I hope this isn't a hijack, but here's another question to add to the mix: aluminum vs. stainless - pros/cons???
Crazy Climber:
I'm not particularly crazy (IMO), and I don't rock-climb. It's just the name of a video game I used to like to play, back in the 80's.
Inkleg
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Inkleg »

Crazy Climber wrote:I hope this isn't a hijack, but here's another question to add to the mix: aluminum vs. stainless - pros/cons???
I have a 15 gallon aluminum and a 16 gallon SS pot. I can brew BIAB style in either pot a 5.5 gallon 1.105 OG Russian Imperial or 11 gallons of a 1.055ish beer (if I hold back a few gallons to sparge with). I've been told my beers are good from either pot (but I have questionable friends).
As for pros or cons, they both work well for their intended job at hand, with neither edging the other out. My SS is electric, the aluminum is gas. So I guess it boils down to what works best for your set up.
Naked Cat Brewery On Tap
Yazoo Sue Smoked Porter
Octoberfest
Le Petite Saison
Czech Pale Lager
A Toast to Big Fuzzy Russian Imperial Stout at 10%
Belgian Blond
Flower Power IPA
4 Kilts Clueless Belgian Strong
One Wort Two Yeast with Wyeast 2206
One Wort Two Yeast with WLP940
Shipwreck Saison
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

Thanks guys. I'm sure I can do all my batches in the 40, I'm using a 30qt now.
I'm considering the lid, but I might just use foil.
I like aluminum for cost, light weight, and heat transfer. Stainless is more durable, and works on induction heaters.
Never mind, there it is.
DaYooper
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by DaYooper »

Another pseudo hijack. Can a stainless steel weldless valve be used with this? A 5 gallon batch is pushing my limits for what I can haul around. Not sure if there would be any issues with dissimilar metals. Shoot, I really should know that answer, but it has been a LONG time ago....
Silverleaf Vineyard & Winery / Old Mission Hops Exchange / Porchside Vineyard / The North York Brewing Company
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

I believe that ss will degrade aluminum, given time. But not as quickly as copper would. On boats, stainless and aluminum are common hardware pairings above the water. I think there are only a couple of options, SS, or copper alloys (brass, bronze). Of those, I'm pretty sure stainless is safest.
Never mind, there it is.
braukasper
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by braukasper »

You will be using a Teflon tape correct? I have SS to Brass connections on one of my pumps have not had an issue. Are you using a weld-less bulkhead?
Lebe das Leben. Um in vollen Zügen. Trinken zu Hause brauen!
Live life. To the fullest. Drink home brew!!
DaYooper
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by DaYooper »

braukasper wrote:You will be using a Teflon tape correct? I have SS to Brass connections on one of my pumps have not had an issue. Are you using a weld-less bulkhead?
Havent gotten that far. Just have been contemplating a new pot for 10g batches. I did get a weldless valve at the Black Friday event last year at AiH that I was planning on using to convert a 2-3g cooler for partial mashes, but for the life of me cant remember if it is S/S or brass.
Ibasterd
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by Ibasterd »

John Sand wrote:I like aluminum for cost, light weight, and heat transfer. Stainless is more durable
+1 on this. I have an 20qt aluminum that I use for 2 1/2 gallon BIAB batches and have had no issues.
What is best in life?" "To crush your enemies -- See them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women!"