BrewsBySmith Two Stage Controller

There are so many gadgets and other stuff you can use to brew! Ask, learn and share what you got here!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

ScrewyBrewer
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

BrewsBySmith Two Stage Controller

Post by ScrewyBrewer »

My fermentation controller came in on Friday and I have it hooked up in a basic configuration to control a small heater in the fermentation chamber.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415569581.553973.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415569581.553973.jpg (233.44 KiB) Viewed 1414 times
It came with a thermowell and fermwrap that I haven't used yet. It'll control a fridge and a heater at the same time to hold the set point temperature as needed and it displays in Farienhieght or Celsius too.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415569458.582962.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415569458.582962.jpg (100.82 KiB) Viewed 1414 times
More to come but so far I really like this controller.
ezRecipe 'The easy way to awesome beer!'

'Give a man a beer and he'll waste an hour, teach him to brew beer and he'll waste a lifetime'
Inkleg
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Re: BrewsBySmith Two Stage Controller

Post by Inkleg »

ScrewyBrewer wrote: so far I really like this controller.
I totally agree with you on this Vince, I really like the LED light on yours. I have one of the original Black Box controller and LOVE it.
Naked Cat Brewery On Tap
Yazoo Sue Smoked Porter
Octoberfest
Le Petite Saison
Czech Pale Lager
A Toast to Big Fuzzy Russian Imperial Stout at 10%
Belgian Blond
Flower Power IPA
4 Kilts Clueless Belgian Strong
One Wort Two Yeast with Wyeast 2206
One Wort Two Yeast with WLP940
Shipwreck Saison
ScrewyBrewer
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by ScrewyBrewer »

Inkleg wrote:
ScrewyBrewer wrote: so far I really like this controller.
I totally agree with you on this Vince, I really like the LED light on yours. I have one of the original Black Box controller and LOVE it.
I can hardly believe I'm just finding out about this controller now! How long have you been using yours for, I must have missed this topic?

'Give a man a beer and he'll waste an hour, teach him to brew beer and he'll waste a lifetime'
ScrewyBrewer
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by ScrewyBrewer »

This morning it was 35F outside, the grass covered with frost and inside the unheated garage it was 60F, having the garage insulated was a smart move.

The display on the controller read 69.8F when I went in the garage to check the fermentation temperature. The 100 watt lightbulb had no problem keeping the two fermentors inside the chamber at one degree plus or minus of the 70F set point overnight.

The digital thermometer sensor taped to the outside of the fermentor and covered with a block of foam read 72.5F, over two degrees warmer than the thermowell sensor temperature.

DaYooper
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by DaYooper »

Like you, I picked up the v1.06 version. At the time it was the first Will from The Black Box flashed and even threw in another temperature probe. I believe you need to solder in a resistor to get that to function but it will allow you to have one probe in the ambient of the fermentation chamber and one registering from the vessel so that you do not overshoot your temperature. I havent played with it yet but thought for the same price (and free probe) I couldnt go wrong.
Silverleaf Vineyard & Winery / Old Mission Hops Exchange / Porchside Vineyard / The North York Brewing Company
ScrewyBrewer
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by ScrewyBrewer »

The BrewsBySmith controller I currently have would require another connector to be installed in the box wall to support a second probe, but I haven't had a need to open the controller up to peek inside to see about the resistor. For now I'm using the digital outdoor thermometer and probe I used to use taped to my fermentor to display the ambient temperature.

How are you securing the 32 watt fermwrap heating element to your carboy or fermentor bucket?

DaYooper
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by DaYooper »

I just bought the unit from Black Box so I am using a paint can heater. I see they have released another version for $10 more that has the resistor already installed by the factory. I guess I jumped too early. It appears to be a surface mount device so will see if I have the dexterity to pull it off.
Silverleaf Vineyard & Winery / Old Mission Hops Exchange / Porchside Vineyard / The North York Brewing Company
ScrewyBrewer
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by ScrewyBrewer »

DaYooper wrote:I just bought the unit from Black Box so I am using a paint can heater. I see they have released another version for $10 more that has the resistor already installed by the factory. I guess I jumped too early. It appears to be a surface mount device so will see if I have the dexterity to pull it off.
It's been a while since I got my hands dirty tinkering with digital circuit builds but I do remember the introduction of surface mount devices and man they are pretty small. Greg Smith builds the BrewsBySmith controllers and he's a really great guy, he actually improved on Will's original design by incorporating some design ideas of his own. Good luck on making your install for the second probe, for now I'm just using a separate digital outdoor thermometer to read the ambient temperature. :clink:

DaYooper
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by DaYooper »

I hear ya! I have a friend who thinks he can do it but have been in no real hurry as the features as-is will keep me busy for awhile. I liked Jeff's comment about setting it to run the entire process from ramping to cold crashing. The dual probes are not really to display both temperatures but rather to help with the system's hysteresis to better control overshooting or undershooting of temperatures. Using my paint can heater under a garbage can is not really an issue, but using a fridge or freezer that contains the potential over/under-shot ambient temperature much better could lead to an appreciable over/under-shoot of the wort. Maybe. Possibly....
ScrewyBrewer
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by ScrewyBrewer »

@DaYooper you seem to understand a lot of the functionality of the STC-1000+ too. Only having a single probe I have to rely on preventing the heat or cold outlets from energizing more frequently than the 5 minute delay will allow. The delay can be modified to increase or decrease the 5 minute default setting as needed to keep the heater or compressor from cycling too often.

ScrewyBrewer
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by ScrewyBrewer »

Even with an automated temperature controller you want to keep an eye on what's going on inside your fermentation chamber.
weehvy-1sml.jpg
weehvy-1sml.jpg (49.01 KiB) Viewed 1255 times
I guess not having brewed a big beer in quite a while I didn't think to hook up a blow off tube before turning in for the night. Luckily first thing in the morning I peaked inside and saw the S-04 yeast had nearly blown the lid right off of the fermentor! Once the blow off tube was connected the Co2 burped, bubbled and hissed for the next three days in a row!

jimjohson
Brewer of the Month
Brewer of the Month

Post by jimjohson »

there's a party going on in there!
"Filled with mingled cream and amber
I will drain that glass again.
Such hilarious visions clamber
Through the chambers of my brain
-- Quaintest thoughts -- Queerest fancies
Come to life and fade away;
Who cares how time advances?
I am drinking ale today."

Edgar Allan Poe
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

Good thing you caught it when you did. I forgot all about this thread when I was looking for heating options recently. I just got my STC-1000 in on Friday. My Johnson Controller will be moved to backup duty and I'm anxious to try this bad boy (and the thermowell and fermwrap) out!
Inkleg
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Inkleg »

You're going to enjoy it Ron. Once you have used it few times it becomes second nature. I find it easer to use than a regular STC-1000, in fact I ordered just a flashed STC+ and used it to replace a STC build I had done a few years ago. If you have any questions just ask.
Naked Cat Brewery On Tap
Yazoo Sue Smoked Porter
Octoberfest
Le Petite Saison
Czech Pale Lager
A Toast to Big Fuzzy Russian Imperial Stout at 10%
Belgian Blond
Flower Power IPA
4 Kilts Clueless Belgian Strong
One Wort Two Yeast with Wyeast 2206
One Wort Two Yeast with WLP940
Shipwreck Saison
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

Will do. I've watched the short two minute video and it seems pretty easy but you know I'm not afraid to ask for helpsies.