Blending beers

Ask about and share you All Grain techniques.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

teutonic terror
Brew Master
Brew Master

Blending beers

Post by teutonic terror »

Alright BORG :borg: I've pretty much given up on my Schwarz beer due to lack of carbonation.
I've tried shaking them to rouse the yeast, but I've noticed there is very little yeast in the bottom's of
the bottles!

I'm looking at brewing another smoked porter within the next couple of weeks, and since they are close
in style, blending them together to save myself from tossing a very expensive batch of beer! :(

What is the best procedure for doing this? Do I just match it bottle for bottle, or is there some kind of ratio?

Can I add the already bottled beer to the bottling bucket , or just put them together as I drink them?
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Re: Blending beers

Post by RickBeer »

My understanding is you would aerate the crap out of it if you poured them into the bottling bucket. You mix as you open them and pour in the glass.
I have over 9,000 posts on "another forum", which means absolutely nothing. Mr. Beer January 2014 Brewer of the Month with all the pomp and circumstance that comes with it...

Certificate in Brewing and Distillation Technology

Sites to find beer making supplies: Adventures in Homebrewing - Mr. Beer - MoreBeer
My Beer - click to reveal
Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone
Irish Hills Red - I call this "Ann Arbor Red"
Mackinac Island Red - I call this "Michigan Red"
Oatmeal Stout - I call this Not Fat, Stout - Oatmeal Stout

Bottled 5 gallons of Ann Arbor Red on 4/18/17. Bottled 5 gallons of Michigan Red on 5/8/17.

Brewed in 2017 - 22.13 gallons (19.91 in 2012, 48.06 in 2013, 61.39 in 2014, 84.26 in 2015,46.39 in 2016)
Brewed in lifetime - 282.14 gallons
Drinkable beer on hand -  13.58 cases, with 6.11 cases ready in May and early June.
Average cost per 12 pack through all beer brewed - $6.27(ingredients only)
Inkleg
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Inkleg »

I think I'd try mixing in the glass. That way you can try different ratios to find out what tastes best.
Naked Cat Brewery On Tap
Yazoo Sue Smoked Porter
Octoberfest
Le Petite Saison
Czech Pale Lager
A Toast to Big Fuzzy Russian Imperial Stout at 10%
Belgian Blond
Flower Power IPA
4 Kilts Clueless Belgian Strong
One Wort Two Yeast with Wyeast 2206
One Wort Two Yeast with WLP940
Shipwreck Saison
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Belgians blend aged flat beer all the time before bottling it. Somehow they manage to do it without oxygenating the crap out of it and/or having it go bad. Yours is not flat though. Although all the bubbles are CO2, so maybe it would drive off oxygen as it blows itself out of solution. And then again most of those blended beers are sours, and some oxidation in the bottle can actually makes sours better, IE get you some sherry flavors, etc. If I was going to try it I'd carefully pour the bottles first, and then rack my wort into that.

All that said, even if you wanted to try it, you still need to mix the two beers in a glass in various proportions to figure out what tastes the best to you, before you commit to blending the entire bulk of it. The Belgians who do this are masters at it.

You would have to be careful about priming it then too of course. Priming rates would depend on final blended ratio in your case.