First time question

Yes BrewDemon and Mr. Beer kits are pretty darn easy but sometime you need a little help from the Borg to get you on the right track. Post your questions here!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

pkohler20

First time question

Post by pkohler20 »

Using a BrewDemon for the first time...didn't make any changes, just wanted to do it 'by the book'

after adding sugar and bottling, it says the bottles should get firm (like a 2 liter of soda) while carbonating over around 7 days.

If they start feeling really firm after only a couple days...is that bad? And how do you correct that? Open them slightly and release some pressure?
gwcr

Re: First time question

Post by gwcr »

Hey pkohler20. Assuming you used the correct amount of priming sugar, you will be fine. Do not vent. They might be firm, but the CO2 still needs time to be absorbed into the liquid. Right now it is filling the empty head space while it is waiting to be forced into solution. Good rule of thumb is to let the bottles sit at fermentation temp (room temp) for 2 weeks. They should be almost rock hard by that time. Then pop one in the fridge for a day or so and test. If you like it, put in another. You will probably find that the beer will get better after some additional conditioning at room temp. When I did BD and MRB extracts, they were really getting good at the 8-10 week in the bottle stage. YMMV.
Fermenting: Bucket 1 - Fresh Squeezed IPA; Bucket 2 - Empty

Kegged: Keg 1 - Irish Red; Keg 2 - Cream Ale; Keg 3 - Amber Ale; Keg 4 - APA; Keg 5 - Empty; Keg 6 - Empty; Keg 7 - Empty
The reason why the above list is so small Home Theater Build
Inkleg
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Inkleg »

First, congratulations on your first. They say you'll always remember it, but years from now and hundreds of gallons later, you probably won't. :whistle: I've forgotten mine. :redface:

gwcr hit on all the bases with great information after its in the bottle.
Just a few things to I can think of before it got there.
How long did you ferment it for and what temperature and do you use a hydrometer? The reason being is that if the beer has not reached FG (finial gravity) then there are fermentable sugars still in the wort that are being converted and may cause over carbonation.
Provided the beer was finished fermenting and the correct amount of priming sugar was used, all will be just fine.
Naked Cat Brewery On Tap
Yazoo Sue Smoked Porter
Octoberfest
Le Petite Saison
Czech Pale Lager
A Toast to Big Fuzzy Russian Imperial Stout at 10%
Belgian Blond
Flower Power IPA
4 Kilts Clueless Belgian Strong
One Wort Two Yeast with Wyeast 2206
One Wort Two Yeast with WLP940
Shipwreck Saison
D_Rabbit
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by D_Rabbit »

First rule of thumb for brewing is..... RDWHAHB :) Relax, Don't Worry, Have a Home Brew!

Everything appears to be moving along great. Like GW said, give it about 2 weeks and pop one in the fridge to try. Wait a few more weeks and try another. Keep repeating until gone. This can show you how a beer can get better with age. Unlike BMC, you want to let these home brews age a little in order for them to get to their best flavor profile.

Welcome to the obession!
Howling Husky Brewing Company
Fermenting
Nothing at the moment

Kegged

Tap 1: Mango Saison
Tap 2: Southern Belle Brown Ale
Tap 3: Kings Porter - Robust Porter, 5.6% ABV
Tap 4: Empty :(
Bluejaye
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by Bluejaye »

pkohler20 wrote:Using a BrewDemon for the first time...didn't make any changes, just wanted to do it 'by the book'
after adding sugar and bottling, it says the bottles should get firm (like a 2 liter of soda) while carbonating over around 7 days.
If they start feeling really firm after only a couple days...is that bad? And how do you correct that? Open them slightly and release some pressure?
Nope, it's not bad. Yeast is a living organism, it doesn't necessarily follow the rules all of the time. If you followed the directions "by the book" you'll be fine.

Also don't be shocked when you do put a bottle in the fridge, if it seems to go soft. That can also happen, especially during the first few weeks.
Dawg LB Steve
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Dawg LB Steve »

Good for you following the directions the first brew and being able to be patient too! You will get more comfortable the more you brew and be able to take the next steps in the progression as you are ready!
:clink:
MONTUCKY BREWING
Currently brewing:

Next Up?
Kolsch?
Ginger Beer?
Traveling Red?
Yazoo Gerst Clone?
Peanut Butter Porter?

Currently Conditioning:
Cherry Mead
California Moscato

Currently enjoying:
Hardly Apple Cider on tap
Hardly Cherry Lime-Aid on tap
Oktoberfestive-Ale on tap
PGA Cider (Pear, Ginger, Apple) on tap 3rd Founders Cup 2016 King Of The Mountain on tap
Bottoms Up Brown on tap GOLD 2016 Ohio Brew Week Silver 2016 Ohio State Fair Silver 2016 Son of Brewzilla, Silver 2015 Son of Brewzilla, Bronze 2015 King Of The Mountain on tap
NITWIT BELGIAN STRONG ALE Banjo-Dawg RCE bottled
DAWG LB PALE ALE bottled
CITRA SLAPPED AMBER ALE bottle
MO FREEDOM SMaSH bottle
HOP TO IT IMPERIAL IPA bottle

Medal Count
Gold 3
Silver 5
Bronze 5
Actively brewing since December 2013
pkohler20

Post by pkohler20 »

Yea, it was hard to resist the urge to add vanilla sugar or brown sugar or whatever...

I was just afraid of the bottles bursting...lol
pkohler20

Post by pkohler20 »

I fermented for about 8 days...no hydrometer
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

I understand. When I first brewed, I was anxious to experiment too. I tried after a couple of batches, the results weren't great. Now I often formulate my own recipes with good results. But first I needed to improve my process and understand my ingredients.
Believe me, when you first make good beer by any means, you'll be thrilled. Keep us posted.
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

pkohler20 wrote:I fermented for about 8 days...no hydrometer
That will probably do it. Primary ferment is usually over in less than a week. Generally 2 or three weeks is better to condition and clear the beer. Don't worry, yours will clear and condition in the bottle. If you are worried about them bursting, put them in a tote or cooler that would hold the leaks. But it is unlikely that they will burst. Those bottles can hold a lot of pressure.
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.
alb
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by alb »

John Sand wrote: Believe me, when you first make good beer by any means, you'll be thrilled. Keep us posted.
Or even not-good beer. As FedoraDave says, "Your first attempt might not be the best beer you'll ever make, but it will definitely be the most satisfying." Or words to that effect. (See Dave? I was listening!)
Proprietress, The Napping Hound Tavern
serving marvelous food and magnificent beers from
Fool's Gold Brewing Co.
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by RickBeer »

3 weeks fermenting at 70 or lower (wort temp, not air temp) and 4 weeks (or more) conditioning at room temp is a great guideline to follow. .

Trying at 2, then 3, then 4 weeks teaches you to wait 4 weeks, great experience.
I have over 9,000 posts on "another forum", which means absolutely nothing. Mr. Beer January 2014 Brewer of the Month with all the pomp and circumstance that comes with it...

Certificate in Brewing and Distillation Technology

Sites to find beer making supplies: Adventures in Homebrewing - Mr. Beer - MoreBeer
My Beer - click to reveal
Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone
Irish Hills Red - I call this "Ann Arbor Red"
Mackinac Island Red - I call this "Michigan Red"
Oatmeal Stout - I call this Not Fat, Stout - Oatmeal Stout

Bottled 5 gallons of Ann Arbor Red on 4/18/17. Bottled 5 gallons of Michigan Red on 5/8/17.

Brewed in 2017 - 22.13 gallons (19.91 in 2012, 48.06 in 2013, 61.39 in 2014, 84.26 in 2015,46.39 in 2016)
Brewed in lifetime - 282.14 gallons
Drinkable beer on hand -  13.58 cases, with 6.11 cases ready in May and early June.
Average cost per 12 pack through all beer brewed - $6.27(ingredients only)
polkemon

Post by polkemon »

I read a ton of different fermenting periods and I am patiently waiting to determine the correct fermenting period. The BD LBC kit say ferment for 7 days then bottle? I read and hear people say wait 2,3 and even 4 weeks one fermenting period to start bottling.

Any recommendations is greatly appreciated!

I did a Brooklyn Beer Everyday IPA 2 weeks ago, didn't see any bubbles from the bubbler, lots of grub at the bottom of jar. Also noticed the yeast packet had expired2013. Is this batch a toss learning experience?

Thanks for the advice
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

polkemon wrote:I read a ton of different fermenting periods and I am patiently waiting to determine the correct fermenting period. The BD LBC kit say ferment for 7 days then bottle? I read and hear people say wait 2,3 and even 4 weeks one fermenting period to start bottling.

Any recommendations is greatly appreciated!
I always say to wait 3 weeks if you aren't taking hydrometer readings and you will be safe. Will it be done fermenting way before that? Most likely but better being safe then to loose a batch. With low gravity beers like BD or MrB and the with the proper amount of yeast and the right fermenting temp it should be done between 7 and 10 days, But you never Know without taking a reading or just waiting it out.
Last edited by berryman on Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Happy Hound Brewery

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison
Dawg LB Steve
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Dawg LB Steve »

Rule of thumb, no hydrometer leave it ferment for three weeks. The Brooklyn kit usually if you have trub in the bottom it is fermenting, leave it go for three weeks then bottle, you will then find out a few more weeks after that. PATIENCE IS A VIRTUE in the making of good beer.
:clink:
MONTUCKY BREWING
Currently brewing:

Next Up?
Kolsch?
Ginger Beer?
Traveling Red?
Yazoo Gerst Clone?
Peanut Butter Porter?

Currently Conditioning:
Cherry Mead
California Moscato

Currently enjoying:
Hardly Apple Cider on tap
Hardly Cherry Lime-Aid on tap
Oktoberfestive-Ale on tap
PGA Cider (Pear, Ginger, Apple) on tap 3rd Founders Cup 2016 King Of The Mountain on tap
Bottoms Up Brown on tap GOLD 2016 Ohio Brew Week Silver 2016 Ohio State Fair Silver 2016 Son of Brewzilla, Silver 2015 Son of Brewzilla, Bronze 2015 King Of The Mountain on tap
NITWIT BELGIAN STRONG ALE Banjo-Dawg RCE bottled
DAWG LB PALE ALE bottled
CITRA SLAPPED AMBER ALE bottle
MO FREEDOM SMaSH bottle
HOP TO IT IMPERIAL IPA bottle

Medal Count
Gold 3
Silver 5
Bronze 5
Actively brewing since December 2013