The banana boat came to the brew house.

Strange little beasties, get info about different yeasts and how to use them.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Banjo-guy
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by Banjo-guy »

I brewed Northern Brewer's Brunch Stout and and used Safale S-04 at 66 to 69 degrees. I thought I was controlling fermentation temperature but it smells and tastes like I just invited Carmen Miranda over for a concert! I'm in a banana grove.

If you ever want to know what the banana ester smells like use 04 in the high 60s. Its too bad because its ruining what seems like a great beer.
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Re: The banana boat came to the brew house.

Post by RickBeer »

Unfortunate, but it's a temp issue. Below 65 no issue.
I have over 9,000 posts on "another forum", which means absolutely nothing. Mr. Beer January 2014 Brewer of the Month with all the pomp and circumstance that comes with it...

Certificate in Brewing and Distillation Technology

Sites to find beer making supplies: Adventures in Homebrewing - Mr. Beer - MoreBeer
My Beer - click to reveal
Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone
Irish Hills Red - I call this "Ann Arbor Red"
Mackinac Island Red - I call this "Michigan Red"
Oatmeal Stout - I call this Not Fat, Stout - Oatmeal Stout

Bottled 5 gallons of Ann Arbor Red on 4/18/17. Bottled 5 gallons of Michigan Red on 5/8/17.

Brewed in 2017 - 22.13 gallons (19.91 in 2012, 48.06 in 2013, 61.39 in 2014, 84.26 in 2015,46.39 in 2016)
Brewed in lifetime - 282.14 gallons
Drinkable beer on hand -  13.58 cases, with 6.11 cases ready in May and early June.
Average cost per 12 pack through all beer brewed - $6.27(ingredients only)
Banjo-guy
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by Banjo-guy »

Lesson learned!
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

I wouldn't pitch it and try letting stay in primary a bit longer or move to secondary. Some of those esters may very well go away. Then, after they're bottled for a month or so, you might see even more go away.
I think it's too early to tell. While it likely many never completely go away, it may weaken enough to actually add to the taste.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

Banjo-guy, a lot of that banana might condition out of that beer if you let it go for a while, just thinking. I use a lot of 04 yeast and usually ferment in the mid 60's and don't get banana. one of the beers I'm doing now I'm hoping for some banana, a Hef. But not using 04, using a hef yeast and letting the temp. rise to where ever......
Happy Hound Brewery

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison
Banjo-guy
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by Banjo-guy »

This beer really took off. I had one 1/2 of the batch in my fermentation fridge with a temperature probe taped the side of the fermenter. It probably spiked higher because it was really cooking.
It smelled much like a banana that I was really surprised.

I split this 5 gallon batch in half and fermented the other 1/2 in a water bath with frozen water bottles. That batch doesn't have the banana smell. It will be interesting to compare the two beers.
That batch isn't carbed yet. I forgot to open the valve on that gas line .

I'm going to let these sit for a month or more before I drink them but I'll try a sample in 7 days when its carbed.
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

I looked up Northern Brewer's Brunch Stout and that sounds really good. I like Breakfast beers and have brewed a few and this one sounds real good. I see how you wouldn't want banana in this beer, but I bet most of it will condition out with a little time. With 60 IBU's, a good malt and some coffee, you won't taste the banana anyways
Happy Hound Brewery

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison
ScrewyBrewer
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by ScrewyBrewer »

I like bananas with Cheerios or plain sometimes and I've given up on US 04 for 2015. I used it almost exclusively in 2014 though for stouts and an English style IPA that turned out let's say unusual. The stouts were really fine tasting though I must admit.

With a chest freezer at 20F after chilling the wort I've been putting both 6.5 gallon fermentors inside it until the wort temperature is a stable 66F. It's a PITA lifting them up and out of the freezer to pitch the yeast and then oxygenate the wort only to have to gingerly lift and put them into the freezer again.

But I have to say doing it this way is consistently producing some of the cleanest tasting beers I've ever brewed in my life. So far I've been pitching a packet of dry US 05 per five gallon batch and WLP 400 vials per five gallon batch. More than likely over the winter I'll get back to building big four liter starters and pitching them again. Anyhow it's been nice chatting with you all the weather in the brew room is perfect and I'm savoring the Hiphopapocalypse IPA before bedtime.
ezRecipe 'The easy way to awesome beer!'

'Give a man a beer and he'll waste an hour, teach him to brew beer and he'll waste a lifetime'
Banjo-guy
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by Banjo-guy »

berryman wrote:I looked up Northern Brewer's Brunch Stout and that sounds really good. I like Breakfast beers and have brewed a few and this one sounds real good. I see how you wouldn't want banana in this beer, but I bet most of it will condition out with a little time. With 60 IBU's, a good malt and some coffee, you won't taste the banana anyways
It looks good. I'm curious to try the one without the banana. I really have dislike for that flavor in beer. I'll have it in my yogurt or cereal though ( to paraphrase Screwy).
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

You might be a banana super taster, or maybe the pack was bad/old/stored poorly (before you got it) so it was "underpitched" as well as warm - because I've used S-04 at 66-68 without any issues like that. I use other yeasts at even higher temperatures when I want to taste the banana.