Stupid Easy Cider

Talk about your mead, cider, peary or anything else that doesn't fit in the other places!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Jon
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Stupid Easy Cider

Post by Jon »

This is not too different from D_Rabbit's Quick Cider for kegging, and it's a recipe I've done many, many times with great results.

It can even be done with bottling, so long as you fridge the whole batch (and keep a PET bottle to monitor carb) or bottle pasteurize (something I'm not willing to do, but I've read about a lot of people having goood success with).

For a 5 gallon batch, start with 4-4.5 gallons of preservative free apple juice. Whatever's cheapest works great--preservative free cider from an orchard or farmer's market also works great (yes, it will make a difference in the final cider, but they'll all be amazing). Ferment it out with your favorite yeast (Fermentis Safbrew S-33 works great and is cheap, or use the trub from a batch of beer, or harvested yeast, or whatever floats your boat--I've tried lots of different yeasts, and they all tend to work really well). It may take 3-4 weeks to finish, but let it have its time.

At kegging, purge the keg with C02, add in 1 gallon of the tastiest apple juice you can find (farmer's market, the same stuff you used as must, mott's--whatever you want. At this point, preservatives don't matter) and rack the cider on top of it. Put it in the kegerator and on CO2 immediately.

If you're bottling, stick with preservative free juice and batch prime with 1 gallon of whatever juice your using....just make sure that one bottle (preferably in the middle of the batch) is a PET bottle (even a plastic soda bottle will be great). After the pet bottle has firmed up nicely, fridge the whole batch (or bottle pasteurize, if you're into that).

The resulting cider will be semisweet and ready to drink as soon as it's carbed (and cooled if you're bottle conditioning).

When I'm kegging, I like to cold crash to minimize the trub--sometimes this means I end up with a little extra cider (since I usually ferment 4.5 gallons to ensure I get a full 5 gallons into the keg). I'll either backsweeten this leftover cider and bottle it (fridging it after a day or two, just to be safe), or bottle it up with some carbing sugar and let it age. Both turn out great.

There are lots of amazing variations you can do on this cider--you can add a lb or two of sugar to the base cider to kick up the ABV, you can ferment 5 gallons and backsweeten with sugar, you can backsweeten with other juices (blueberry or cherry juices are amazing)--the sky is the limit! If you want a stronger cider that's just as sweet, start with 4.5 gallons, add 1-2 lbs of sugar to the fermentor (and give it a bit of extra time to ferment out) and backsweeten with 2 cans of AJC. Make sure you mix it in well in the keg, or your keg will just try to pull the concentrate out at serving--which never goes well.

Just remember that if you take it anywhere, you need to keep it cool, or it will start fermenting again and overcarb once it warms up.
Jon
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Re: Stupid Easy Cider

Post by Jon »

Oh, and if you want to do a Mr. Beer/Brew Demon-sized batch, just start with 2-2.25 gallons of cider and backsweeten with 1/2 gallon. Easy-peasy!
Whamolagan
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by Whamolagan »

It has become a staple in my kegerator
LagerPMP
Freshly Brewed
Freshly Brewed

Post by LagerPMP »

I'm starting a batch of this today and as I always do I will keg this with some homemade cinnamon dolce syrup.
Pipeline at LagerPMP Brewing Company
#83 House Pale Ale - 5 gal - 07/04/16
#82 Kolschbier - 5 gal - 07/03/16
#81 Oatmeal Stout- 5 gal - 01/18/16
#80 Creme Soda - 2 gallon 12/28/15
#79 BT Pale Ale - 5 gal - 10/25/15
#78 Dry Irish Stout - 5 gal - 08/16/15
#77 SE Cider - 5 gal - 08/15/15
#76 50-Cent Ale - 5 gal - 07/26/15 (1.052, 1.010, 5.5%)
#75 Patersbier - 5 gal - 05/03/15 (1.043, 1.008, 4.6%)
#74 Patersbier - 5 gal - 04/11/15 (1.046, 1.008, 5.0%)
#73 AK47 Mild - 5 gal - 04/10/15 (1.038, 1.010, 3.7%)
#72 Parti-Gyle Amber - 2.2 gal - 02/01/15 (1.052, 1.010, 5.5% )
#71 SS Barleywine - 3 gal - 02/01/15 (1.098, 1.016, 10.8% )
MrBandGuy
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by MrBandGuy »

This is on tap right now for me too. I enjoyed it last night mixed with a shot of bourbon.

I use cheap stuff from Aldi to ferment. It works great!
Jon
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by Jon »

Kegging up a batch of this right now!

My kegerator is currently in storage (with a ton of the rest of the stuff from our old apartment), so gonna keep this one cold in an ice bath in a cooler with some towels thrown over the top (since it sticks out a bit...might work up a more permanent solution later) and serve it out of a picnic tap.

Since it's cider, I'm ok with it being only semi-carbed when we start drinking it. Hell, for that matter we might even start drinking it before it cools down fully, just put it over ice. :)
BigPapaG
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by BigPapaG »

Jon wrote:
Since it's cider, I'm ok with it being only semi-carbed when we start drinking it. Hell, for that matter we might even start drinking it before it cools down fully, just put it over ice. :)
THIS! ^^^^^^^^^^ :cool:
Jon
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by Jon »

Kicked this keg yesterday. :(

Gonna have to get some more juice next time it's on sale at the grocery store, or just the next time we hit up Costco so I can get another batch of this going soon!
brewnewb
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Post by brewnewb »

I was browsing this thread and it dawned on me that I have 12 bottles of cider sitting in the basement.

Make that 11 now

Thirsting For Knowledge
Rebel_B
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by Rebel_B »

Stupid Easy Cider pour with Sunday morning breakfast. This one is a bit dry, which is how I wanted it. I just poured some apple juice on top of a yeast cake of Wyeast 3787 Trappist High Gravity, fermented for 2-1/2 weeks, then kegged it about a week & a half ago. Easy drinking, my younger daughter likes it. Started at 1.050, finished at 1.003 for an ABV of 6.2%.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1445782582.243065.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1445782582.243065.jpg (219.22 KiB) Viewed 2330 times
Drinking: Columbus Double India Pale Ale
Bottled/Conditioning: Trippel
Fermenting: Columbus Double India Pale Ale, Trippel