Extra hazy hefe

Yes BrewDemon and Mr. Beer kits are pretty darn easy but sometime you need a little help from the Borg to get you on the right track. Post your questions here!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Easy Trotter

Extra hazy hefe

Post by Easy Trotter »

Two weeks ago today, I bottled my first batch of weiss bier (2 gal BrewDemon conical). It still has a lot of debris floating around – tiny dark specks – more than the last batch of pale ale. Is that normal for this style of beer?

Thinking I'll put one bottle in the fridge for a couple of days and see how much it clears and check back on the others in another week. Just want to run it by you guys to make sure that much debris isn't a bad indication.
mashani
mashani
mashani

Re: Extra hazy hefe

Post by mashani »

Wheat beers tend to be hazy. And a hefe is a sub-type of wheat beer that is supposed to be cloudy with yeast still in suspension. If you pop them in the fridge long enough the yeast will settle, but then if you wanted to be traditional when serving it you should actually swirl that yeast back into suspension and pour it in your glass if it's a hefe. If you can't stand the idea then you can pour carefully of course.

EDIT: to be clear, the yeast type used in most wheats is what's called "non-flocculant" which means it doesn't clump up and settle easily. It likes to just float around in there. It's totally normal.

If you want to make a totally crystal clear wheat beer - called a Kristalweizen - then my suggestion is to use Wyeast 3333 (German Wheat) which has great wheat beer flavors, but settles readily. Or an American style wheat beer with a yeast like Nottingham. Those yeasts will pull not just themselves, but also haze inducing particles from the wheat out of suspension.
Easy Trotter

Post by Easy Trotter »

Thanks, Mashani. I knew hefe's were normally hazy, but thought it was only due to unfiltering. Didn't realize the type of yeast contributed to that.

Maybe I should give toothpicks out with each bottle...
Easy Trotter

Post by Easy Trotter »

It's been 3 weeks since bottling the Dante's Delight WeissBier and the first pour... well, you can see... had a huge head. This pict was snapped about 15 seconds after pouring and it lasted for over a minute before going down. The same thing happened after I opened a bottle last week. Is this normal? Is it due to all the by-products of fermentation (proteins, floating yeast)? It's been in the fridge for 2 days. (Sorry it's sideways. Pic wasn't. Don't know how to rotate on here.)
WeissBier.JPG
WeissBier.JPG (97.02 KiB) Viewed 710 times
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

Did it taste over carbed? This can be caused by many things from simple over carbing to infection but for the most part, it's likely too much sugar at bottling and/or the beer was not completely done its fermentation and bottled too early.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Wheat beers will often have more head, but not that much.

So yep, what Beer Lord said.

If you aren't testing with a hydrometer, then the question I'd ask first is how long it was in the fermenter? You might need to give it more time if you don't have a hydrometer.
Easy Trotter

Post by Easy Trotter »

Thanks guys. I appreciate your feedback. Yeah, it did taste over carbed. It was my first time using a hydrometer and I was hesitant to check it too often because each time it's a large sample out of my 2 gallon batch. Guess that's a lesson learned. The beer didn't taste bad, it just had more of a bite than it should have. Bummed because I was really looking forward to this one.
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

You can just let the beer sit out for an hour or two and then drink it. Takes some planning, but it will then be "normal carbed". If you bottled in PETs you can also put them in the fridge, then next day pop the top, then recap it tightly - that will release some of the carb, and then try the beer the next day and see how it is.
Dawg LB Steve
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Dawg LB Steve »

Easy Trotter, see my reply in the Specific Gravity vs Alcohol % thread in this section, you only need to pull one sample.
:clink:
MONTUCKY BREWING
Currently brewing:

Next Up?
Kolsch?
Ginger Beer?
Traveling Red?
Yazoo Gerst Clone?
Peanut Butter Porter?

Currently Conditioning:
Cherry Mead
California Moscato

Currently enjoying:
Hardly Apple Cider on tap
Hardly Cherry Lime-Aid on tap
Oktoberfestive-Ale on tap
PGA Cider (Pear, Ginger, Apple) on tap 3rd Founders Cup 2016 King Of The Mountain on tap
Bottoms Up Brown on tap GOLD 2016 Ohio Brew Week Silver 2016 Ohio State Fair Silver 2016 Son of Brewzilla, Silver 2015 Son of Brewzilla, Bronze 2015 King Of The Mountain on tap
NITWIT BELGIAN STRONG ALE Banjo-Dawg RCE bottled
DAWG LB PALE ALE bottled
CITRA SLAPPED AMBER ALE bottle
MO FREEDOM SMaSH bottle
HOP TO IT IMPERIAL IPA bottle

Medal Count
Gold 3
Silver 5
Bronze 5
Actively brewing since December 2013
Easy Trotter

Post by Easy Trotter »

Dawg, that's a clever way to do it. The less beer I have to draw out, the better.

Mashani, I use saved glass bottles and a capper but I guess I could just recap them. I have opened two more bottles since this post and they were the same. Already looking forward to my next brew.
philm00x

Post by philm00x »

Looking at that pic, the beer itself actually looks pretty clear for a hefeweizen. The foam is just out of control. Overzealous pour? Or like the others said, fermentation didn't really finish and/or overcarbed.
Official page of Mr. Rufus Brewing Co.

Up Next
Koning Oranje

Currently at Mr. Rufus Brewing Co.
Fermenting
Nothing :(
Conditioning
Nothing :(
Drinking
58. Choco Brown
60. Etcitra, Etcitra
61. Bubs' Pale Wheat Xtra