My next toy...

There are so many gadgets and other stuff you can use to brew! Ask, learn and share what you got here!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

MadBrewer
Braumeister
Braumeister

My next toy...

Post by MadBrewer »

I have been thinking about adding a pump to my cooling process so I can circulate the wort around my immersion chiller. The price is right on this one. It caught my eye real quick. I wouldn't have to stand over the kettle for 20 mins stirring by hand here and there while the wort it chilling.

Doesn't seem to shabby. http://www.williamsbrewing.com/MARK-II- ... P4028.aspx
Last edited by MadBrewer on Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brew Strong My Friends...
Gymrat
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Re: My next toy...

Post by Gymrat »

That sounds interesting. How would that pump work to stir the wort? Would you have a tube from it to the wort?
MadBrewer
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by MadBrewer »

Yeah, I have a ball valve on my kettle so I would have the pump set up under my kettle to feed it from the ball valve with high temp tubing. I would need a valve on the output of the pump to throttle and control it and run a return hose up to the top of the kettle. The wort would circulate out from the bottom of the kettle and back in the top. I could make something with fittings to return the wort in a way that it actually makes a whirlpool. It would be enough that I wouldn't have to stir the wort. On summer days, my tap water isn't very cold, stirring is the only way to help the cooling efficiency.
Gymrat
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Gymrat »

I use my tap water to cool it below 100F then switch to a pond pump in a cooler of ice water to take it on down below 70. But I do have to stand there and stir the whole time which is a pain
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

Do you have a link to that pump?

I usually do stovetop boils and just chill with an ice slurry, but when I do a larger boil, I use an immersion chiller and use a swamp cooler pump to recirculate ice water (at least it starts as ice water). I live in the desert ad view water as a limited resource and try to conserve where I can (even though I rarely go over the minimum for usage in a month). One of these days, I'll probably look into the Aussie no-chill method. I've already tried an overnight mash (which doesn't save water, but does push the envelope a bit by doing something overnight).
MadBrewer
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by MadBrewer »

Here BP, I should have added the link in the original post. Price is right at $69.

http://www.williamsbrewing.com/MARK-II- ... P4028.aspx
RayF
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by RayF »

That's the pump I'm purchasing for my herms! Not too many reviews on it. Hoping it performs well.
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

That's overkill for me. I'm just pumping cold water so I can recirculate it. That looks like it's designed to pump hot wort.
MadBrewer
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by MadBrewer »

RayF wrote:That's the pump I'm purchasing for my herms! Not too many reviews on it. Hoping it performs well.
Williams Brewing seems to carry quality products and they always have something new. For the price, it hope it works well for ya. I will be getting one myself.
Last edited by MadBrewer on Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
MadBrewer
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by MadBrewer »

bpgreen wrote:That's overkill for me. I'm just pumping cold water so I can recirculate it. That looks like it's designed to pump hot wort.
Yeah, it's a wort pump. This one is about half the cost of even the lowest cost brand I have seen.
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

This might tell you a bit more info:

PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
MadBrewer
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by MadBrewer »

Well I just made an order for the pump, some tubing and fittings. Ill wait out the next brew day until I can get it set up. I can easily take it one step further and set up a basic HERMS system. I still have my old copper wort chiller that can now become a heat exchanger as it sits in the HLT full of sparge water. I could dip my thermowell into the mash with my temp controller hooked up to cycle the pump on and off to circulate the mash through the heat exchanger where I could keep a low flame to keep the pot full of sparge water hot.

Something I have been thinking about for a while...nothing too fancy but it should help out.
RayF
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by RayF »

MadBrewer wrote:Well I just made an order for the pump, some tubing and fittings. Ill wait out the next brew day until I can get it set up. I can easily take it one step further and set up a basic HERMS system. I still have my old copper wort chiller that can now become a heat exchanger as it sits in the HLT full of sparge water. I could dip my thermowell into the mash with my temp controller hooked up to cycle the pump on and off to circulate the mash through the heat exchanger where I could keep a low flame to keep the pot full of sparge water hot.

Something I have been thinking about for a while...nothing too fancy but it should help out.

Awesome Kenny! I'll be keeping my eye on this Thread to see what you think of the pump. Although I love building things, I cant wait to get finished and start learning about and brewing again.
RayF
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by RayF »

Sorry to get a little off of subject, but has anyone heard from Jon? I miss this cat! As difficult as I can be at time when learning something new, Jon was great at sinking things into my thick head. Last I heard from him he just received the grainfather and was learning to use it.
MadBrewer
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by MadBrewer »

RayF wrote:Sorry to get a little off of subject, but has anyone heard from Jon? I miss this cat! As difficult as I can be at time when learning something new, Jon was great at sinking things into my thick head. Last I heard from him he just received the grainfather and was learning to use it.
That's about the last I heard. I see him on Facebook from time to time. He said he is still brewing when he can. Seems he's busy making a life with the new wife.