el dorado hop showcase?

Share a basic extract recipe that you like or want to get feedback from the Borg.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

zorak1066
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

el dorado hop showcase?

Post by zorak1066 »

never had Eldorado before .. got 4 oz on sale from hbs. ive got 6 lbs of northern brewer gold malt lme to spare. any good recipe ideas to showcase the Eldorado with the malt? I can get steeping grains. would an Eldorado ipa made from this lme be tasty? looking to do a 3 gallon batch.

thanks for any ideas.
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Re: el dorado hop showcase?

Post by Kealia »

I've done a number of quick 15-minute boil beers with different hops for a quick pipeline filler that came out great.

Basic recipes have looked like:
8oz C-20
4oz Carapils
4lbs light DME
1.00oz Citra @ 15
.50oz Citra @ 5
.50 Citra for 30 minute hopstand
1.00 Citra dry hop

This was for a 3G batch and an OG of 1.055.

I've done the same with Cascade and one or two other hops, too.

If you want to kick it up to IPA levels you could increase the 15 minute and/or hopstand amounts.
Never having used El Dorado myself I can't speak for how they are, though.
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

El Dorado Showcase = I hope you like Jolly Ranchers and/or Baby Aspirin.

At least that's what I think of them.

I would mix them with something else, and not try to showcase them. I did that once and only once. But who knows, maybe you will like it?
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

The Drop Kick Nate beer I do has El Dorado in it and I don't get baby aspirin or jolly ranchers but it also has Galaxy in it. I think you'd do best using those hops as late additions and dry hopping only.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
HerbMeowing
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by HerbMeowing »

mashani wrote:... mix them with something else, and not try to showcase them.
I did that once and only once.
But who knows, maybe you will like it?
I get that impression too sometimes with a SMaSH; then ... with a little more time in the bottle ... turns out to be a tasty brew.

---
Give me just a l'il more time.
My brew will surely grow.

-apologies to Kylie Minogue and Chairmen of the Board
Homebrew will get you through times of no money
Better than money will get you through times of no homebrew

- apologies to the Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

HerbMeowing wrote:
mashani wrote:... mix them with something else, and not try to showcase them.
I did that once and only once.
But who knows, maybe you will like it?
I get that impression too sometimes with a SMaSH; then ... with a little more time in the bottle ... turns out to be a tasty brew.

---
Give me just a l'il more time.
My brew will surely grow.

-apologies to Kylie Minogue and Chairmen of the Board
I thought that it would improve with age, but the baby aspirin thing never really went away, and the jolly ranchers mellowed into something like fruity artificial cherry flavored gummy candy instead - it was still a flavor that I didn't really find appealing.

But it might just be my pallet maybe I'm over sensitive to the stuff. I've never used them again, I've been afraid.
zorak1066
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by zorak1066 »

thanks for the replies... baby aspirin? ick! okay i'll go through my hops stash and list later what all I have to see if theres a good paring.

Mashani - I trust your taste buds :) you haven't been wrong yet in anything suggested to me over the years. im not a huge fan of baby aspirin and jolly ranchers.

okay so not a showcase.. let's shoot for a good pairing then.

back later.
zorak1066
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by zorak1066 »

ok heres my available hops ..

hallertau
tetnang
ahtnam
summit
Amarillo
moteuka
sorachi

which would pair nice with Eldorado.. ? what style? figures id have 4 oz of Eldorado. no wonder I got them so cheap if they turn things into baby aspirin and jolly ranchers lol.

I have about 6 lbs northern brewer gold lme. . . can get steeping grains easily enough. 2-3 gal batch...

thanks
BigPapaG
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by BigPapaG »

I used Hallertau and tettenang with el dorado in a dark belgian and got a candy-like sweetness, almost like sugar... Was good, was not jolly ranchers and there was no hint of baby aspirin.

Amarillo and moetuka will bring tropical fruit...

Sorachi will bring lemony qualities... (Might be a bit much with candy-like qualities of el dorado, but who knows... Might be like lemondrops!

Ahtanum and Summit will lean toward traditional IPA flavors... Citrus, grapefruit, tangerine in the case of summit...

:cool:
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Yeah, the sweetness, I don't see that going away. It was like the candi sweetness you can get from Goldings, but with the artificial like orange and cherry turning it kind of yucky in my case. Anything that would compliment/blend (or bury) those flavors would be a good thing.

I'll just also mention that Sorachi depending on boil length might also bring some dill or cilantro like herbal flavors. Some folks find that off putting too. I don't mind them, but I don't know if that's good or bad in this case. For the purest lemon with Sorachi, you want to dry hop it - and a lot of it.

I have a feeling that boil length will change how the El Dorado are perceived too, but I have no suggestions there since I have lacked the motivation to experiment with them some more. But they might be a lot better as a dry hop then as a flavor addition in the boil, who knows.
zorak1066
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by zorak1066 »

ok.. going with the gold malt lme, some caramalt and el dorado with the ahtanum hops.. a dry hop...
making an ipa.

thanks. that will be after a wheat, and a Russian ipa which ive got scheduled soon.

man I missed brewing.

z-