what in the....

Yes BrewDemon and Mr. Beer kits are pretty darn easy but sometime you need a little help from the Borg to get you on the right track. Post your questions here!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Gman20
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

what in the....

Post by Gman20 »

ok a lil backround on recipe first im using a lbk with about 2.5 gallons of distilled water i used one 3.3 can of briess golden light, 1 package of workhorse yeast and 2 additions of hops(styrian golding)1 at boil and 1 with 5 mins of boil time left. i boiled for a total of 30 mins. cooled wort and pitched yeast.have in my basement temp around 66F

next day theres a giant yeast party goin on so im thinking ok good.....next couple weeks or so checking on it it seems like the process in goin good krausen dropped and beers seemed to be losing it cloudy look. so another week or so goes by 1 day shy of 3 weeks total time and i figure heck ill check on it maybe i could even bottle...NOT it looks like i pitched more yeast or somethin beers is kinda milky lookin and theres a lil foam on top again (just a small pile in the middle) and it tastes like its not fishished like a lil sweet kinda nasty tastin not really like beer and has weird color when poured in glass

is my beers ruined somehow? im thinking i shoud wait and see what happens

:blink:
Gymrat
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Re: what in the....

Post by Gymrat »

If it tastes funky it may be infected.
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Can you define "kind of nasty" better?
Gman20
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by Gman20 »

well it doesnt have any off those off tastes ive read about like band aids or anything like that

it seems thick and kinda cidery in a way but different from the CAL cidery taste
Brewbirds
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Brewbirds »

First question : do you have a hydrometer? If you could take a reading and post a pic of the beer in the sample tube it might help. You don't want to bottle if it isn't ready yet.

Second question: You say it is kind of thick and cloudy, is it possible someone in your house could have disturbed the LBK? The trub may have gotten disturbed and redistributed into the beer.

:cheers:
Sibling Brewers
Gman20
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by Gman20 »

no hydrometer.....but lhbs is nearby so i could grab one tomorrow

im sure it hasnt been disturbed.... its just been in basement with a towel over it the whole time but it does seem like a little more krausen is on the surface today like it is fermenting again
Brewbirds
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Brewbirds »

A hydrometer is a wonderful thing to have for brewing and should be at the top of the list for buying beer gear.

That being said the 3-2-2 method was started if I recall for new brewers who didn't have one because 3 weeks should finish most beers.

Is it possible that the basement cooled down enough to slow the yeast down and then warmed up again?

You may want to check the website for the yeast you used to read about it's characteristics.
Sibling Brewers
jpsherman
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by jpsherman »

Gman20 wrote:ok a lil backround on recipe first im using a lbk with about 2.5 gallons of distilled water i used one 3.3 can of briess golden light, 1 package of workhorse yeast and 2 additions of hops(styrian golding)1 at boil and 1 with 5 mins of boil time left. i boiled for a total of 30 mins. cooled wort and pitched yeast.have in my basement temp around 66F

next day theres a giant yeast party goin on so im thinking ok good.....next couple weeks or so checking on it it seems like the process in goin good krausen dropped and beers seemed to be losing it cloudy look. so another week or so goes by 1 day shy of 3 weeks total time and i figure heck ill check on it maybe i could even bottle...NOT it looks like i pitched more yeast or somethin beers is kinda milky lookin and theres a lil foam on top again (just a small pile in the middle) and it tastes like its not fishished like a lil sweet kinda nasty tastin not really like beer and has weird color when poured in glass

is my beers ruined somehow? im thinking i shoud wait and see what happens

:blink:
You should use spring water instead of distilled.

The distillation process removes minerals from the water that yeasties like.

Spring water uses ozonation to kill bugs, and leave the mineral composition intact.
Fill with mingled cream and amber,
I will drain that glass again.
Such hilarious visions clamber
Through the chambers of my brain.
Quaintest thoughts — queerest fancies,
Come to life and fade away:
What care I how time advances?
I am drinking ale today.

– Edgar Allan Poe
______________________________________________________________________________________________________
Everyone has to believe in something, I believe I'll have another drink--Oscar Wilde
______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Giggle Squid Brewery
Fermenting:
Barleywine 2016

Conditioning:
Barleywine 8-27-2014 (only drinking on special occasions)

Drinking:
Apple Wine 2.0
Apple Wine 2.1
Jalapeno Ale
Dark Vanner
Dark and Hoppy Night
Liquid Gold
Mad Max
Dundee Ale
Magnum PA

T8rSalad
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by T8rSalad »

T8r's feeble opinion is purchase the hydrometer, sanitize the hydrometer, test the wort with said hydrometer tomorrow or shortly after. Then let it keep fermenting for 2 more days then take another sanitized hydrometer reading, compare readings, if 2nd reading not the same as first reading, it is still fermenting...test in another 2 days, compare and decide if it needs some more time UNTIL you get 2 readings the same back to back. THEN BOTTLE :banana: :banana: :banana:
L8r T8r

Fermenting: Quiet Kreek Kolsch Deaux, First Pitch Pilsner Ale Trois

Conditioning: Nut Brown Vienna Lager Ale, PilotHouse Pilsner, Johnny Silk's ESB 4th gen, Blue Moon Clone Trois, Fallen Friar Deaux, Arizona Country Canadian Draft Deaux

Drinking & Sharing: Rose's Rambling Red, Blue Moon Deaux, Ruck & Maul Red, American Devil Indian Pale Ale, Quiet Creek Kolsch, Northwest Pale Ale, Golden Czech Pils, Beach Babe Blonde, Grand Bohemian Czech Pils Trois, Diablo IPA+, Columbus Cascading Amber Ale, High Country Gold Lager Ale,
Gman20
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by Gman20 »

Brewbirds wrote:A hydrometer is a wonderful thing to have for brewing and should be at the top of the list for buying beer gear.

That being said the 3-2-2 method was started if I recall for new brewers who didn't have one because 3 weeks should finish most beers.

Is it possible that the basement cooled down enough to slow the yeast down and then warmed up again?

You may want to check the website for the yeast you used to read about it's characteristics.

i guess its possible with the way the weather is is WI some of these nights been getting a lil chilly also used the M10 mangrove jacks workhorse so im thinking its a pretty "hardy" yeast temp wise
Gman20
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by Gman20 »

and another tidbit the krausen has definitely increased and so has temp. so as far as i can tell theres some fermentation goin on
dad2all5
Freshly Brewed
Freshly Brewed

Post by dad2all5 »

Very informative, As I read these posts I find solutions to issues I am thinking will or may have with my first few batches. Still waiting for my kit but thanks everyone.
:thanks:
BE THE CHANGE YOU WANT. (THE CHILDREN NEED POSITIVE ROLE MODELS) HAVE YOU CHANGED TODAY?
Gman20
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by Gman20 »

fermentation seems to be stopping again.....just got me a hydrometer so ill take a sample when it clears up and post a pic
Philmin9

Post by Philmin9 »

A pic would be easiest to figure out if it is infected. With the batch I just brewed, I had a small krausen for 2 days then it dropped, then 5 days later I had a thick normal krausen. No idea why it happened this way, but you just have to trust that the yeast know what they are doing. As long as your sanitation was good you should be fine. Bottle and let us know how it goes.
Gman20
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by Gman20 »

was goin thru some old threads and still dunno why this happened and i forgot at the time to give an update but this batch stalled out and had 2 krausens in the lbk. but eventually it turned out fine and i was able to drink it

just in case this happens to anyone else out there