Midwest Supplies Security Breach

The information and announcements you need to know about the BeerBorg community.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

russki
Russki
Russki

Midwest Supplies Security Breach

Post by russki »

This was posted on HBT over the weekend by Midwest Supplies:
Recently we learned that despite our best efforts the security of our website was breached by an outside party. For certain types of transactions, this breach may have resulted in the outside party being able to capture and use customer credit card information entered at the time of the transaction. When we identified the breach, we immediately secured our servers, hired a technical team to investigate and help resolve the situation, notified the credit card companies and law enforcement, and obtained legal counsel specializing in computer hacking to help us navigate the very specific legal notification requirements for all 50 states. At this time, all of the notifications have been made, and letters have been sent to all customers that may have been impacted. We regret not providing an update sooner, but we did not want to comment publicly until our investigation was complete and we were able to identify and notify those potentially affected.

Our investigation has now been completed and we are satisfied that the situation has been resolved and that all affected customers have been identified. We have also implemented extensive steps to prevent this kind of incident from happening again. In addition, we sent a letter to each customer who may have been impacted, notifying them of the incident and providing our sincere apology and a credit for $25 worth of homebrewing or winemaking supplies. If you have any questions or concerns please contact our customer service department by phone at 888-449-2739. Rest assured that if you were not contacted you were not among the customers impacted.

We have spent many years working to earn your trust and loyalty. And we recognize an attack like this can undermine that trust. As one brewer to another, you can rest assured that we won’t rest until you’ve brewed your best.

David Kidd

President
In Soviet Russia, beer brews you!
My brews
Fermenting:
Strawberry Rhubarb Wheat (5-gal)(AG)
Cranberry Mead
Buck-Flower Mead
Flanders Red (5-gal)(AG) x 2
On Tap:
Hefeweizen (5-gal)(AG)
Oaked Pear Cider
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Re: Midwest Supplies Security Breach

Post by RickBeer »

That's a major cluster*&^@. PCI requirements are that the credit card numbers be encoded and NOT stored, so they were violating that. The number gets stored at the credit card processor, NOT at the merchant.

Lawsuits coming. Hope the new owners are ready for them.
I have over 9,000 posts on "another forum", which means absolutely nothing. Mr. Beer January 2014 Brewer of the Month with all the pomp and circumstance that comes with it...

Certificate in Brewing and Distillation Technology

Sites to find beer making supplies: Adventures in Homebrewing - Mr. Beer - MoreBeer
My Beer - click to reveal
Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone
Irish Hills Red - I call this "Ann Arbor Red"
Mackinac Island Red - I call this "Michigan Red"
Oatmeal Stout - I call this Not Fat, Stout - Oatmeal Stout

Bottled 5 gallons of Ann Arbor Red on 4/18/17. Bottled 5 gallons of Michigan Red on 5/8/17.

Brewed in 2017 - 22.13 gallons (19.91 in 2012, 48.06 in 2013, 61.39 in 2014, 84.26 in 2015,46.39 in 2016)
Brewed in lifetime - 282.14 gallons
Drinkable beer on hand -  13.58 cases, with 6.11 cases ready in May and early June.
Average cost per 12 pack through all beer brewed - $6.27(ingredients only)
russki
Russki
Russki

Post by russki »

RickBeer wrote:That's a major cluster*&^@. PCI requirements are that the credit card numbers be encoded and NOT stored, so they were violating that. The number gets stored at the credit card processor, NOT at the merchant.

Lawsuits coming. Hope the new owners are ready for them.
They were not stored; according to some other documents posted on HBT, their server was injected with malware that forwarded CC#'s (and other personal info) as they were entered during an order placement to an unknown third party.
My brews
Fermenting:
Cranberry Mead
Buck-Flower Mead
On Tap:
Hefeweizen (5-gal)(AG)
Oaked Pear Cider
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by RickBeer »

Wow. Not good at all.
I have over 9,000 posts on "another forum", which means absolutely nothing. Mr. Beer January 2014 Brewer of the Month with all the pomp and circumstance that comes with it...

Sites to find beer making supplies: Adventures in Homebrewing - Mr. Beer - MoreBeer
Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone

Bottled 5 gallons of Ann Arbor Red on 4/18/17. Bottled 5 gallons of Michigan Red on 5/8/17.

Brewed in 2017 - 22.13 gallons (19.91 in 2012, 48.06 in 2013, 61.39 in 2014, 84.26 in 2015,46.39 in 2016)
Drinkable beer on hand -  13.58 cases, with 6.11 cases ready in May and early June.
gwcr

Post by gwcr »

Not good to hear that. Thanks for bringing it to our attention!
Fermenting: Bucket 1 - Fresh Squeezed IPA; Bucket 2 - Empty

Kegged: Keg 1 - Irish Red; Keg 2 - Cream Ale; Keg 3 - Amber Ale; Keg 4 - APA; Keg 5 - Empty; Keg 6 - Empty; Keg 7 - Empty
The reason why the above list is so small Home Theater Build
jivex5k
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by jivex5k »

Damn...
I hope you get some communication at the least, and a bigger gift card than $25 which won't buy much from a homebrew store.
"The trouble with quotes on the internet is you can never be sure if they are true." - Walt Whitman
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by RickBeer »

Most companies that have this happen offer their customers a credit monitoring service for a period, usually a year. Midwest is only offering the future discount.

Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone

Gymrat
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Gymrat »

I have always used my paypal account with them. It has a lot to do with why I shop there.
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by RickBeer »

For those that aren't aware, SOME credit cards allow you to create a safe number to use for a purchase or purchase(s). One brand is called ShopSafe, which is used by Bank of America. It's free to card holders, you log on the site, tell them you want to make a virtual number, and after verifying your identify it makes a number. You pick a credit limit and an expiration date, and you're all set. You can change the limit in the future also.

It's great for sites that need a credit number (i.e. Google Play Store) but you don't ever want to buy - set a $1 limit.

It would help in this case, they'd have your name, address and a virtual credit card number with a set limit that you could go in and nuke right now. Then they'd just know who you are.

Of course are credit card providers cover our losses, but you have to go through the trouble of getting a new number and then changing all your automatic payments. With a virtual number like one from ShopSafe, you wouldn't have to do that.

Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone

LouieMacGoo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by LouieMacGoo »

Im going to make this a global sticky for the next week. I think this important information for people to see in case they are affected!
Worrying can spoil the taste of beer more then anything else! ~ Charles Papazian

Find out more about Yeast, Hops, Grains and Cleaning & Sanitizing
Whats Brewing

Fermenting:

#40 - Citra-Nilla Cream Ale IPA - Brewed:9/20/15

Conditioning:
#39 - Dead Fly IPA - Brewed: 8/29/15 Bottled: 9/27/15
#38 - Apricot Hefeweizen (Colab w/Adam at SOL)- Brewed: 8/8/15

Drinking
#36 - Summer Wheat: Oberon Clone - Brewed: 7/11/15
#37 - Hickory Bourbon Honey Porter - Brewed: 7/18/15
#33 - Younger No. 1 Scottish Strong Ale - Brewed: 3/29/15
#28 - Hard Mulled Cider, Brewed 10/11/14 Kegged
#29 - Strawberry Lime Cider, Brewed/10/19/14 Kegged

Gone
#34 - Second Runnings IPA - Brewed: 3/29/15
#32 - Harvest Nugget Smash v2 (TBD) Brewed 11/27/14
#35 - Columbus Pale Ale - Brewed: 5/02/15
Tabasco
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by Tabasco »

Crap! I just bought two corny's a week ago!
russki
Russki
Russki

Post by russki »

Tabasco wrote:Crap! I just bought two corny's a week ago!
I think they have fixed the problem by then. Most people affected seemed to have placed orders in June.
My brews
Fermenting:
Cranberry Mead
Buck-Flower Mead
On Tap:
Hefeweizen (5-gal)(AG)
Oaked Pear Cider
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by RickBeer »

Seems like they had to get their legal ducks in a row before they went public with it.

Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone

jimjohson
Brewer of the Month
Brewer of the Month

Post by jimjohson »

that's good know information RickBeer. thanks
"Filled with mingled cream and amber
I will drain that glass again.
Such hilarious visions clamber
Through the chambers of my brain
-- Quaintest thoughts -- Queerest fancies
Come to life and fade away;
Who cares how time advances?
I am drinking ale today."

Edgar Allan Poe
DaYooper
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by DaYooper »

Just got my $25 gift card and cant complain. For a credit card you simply need to dispute and if its a problem they will handle it. Cant complain as they didn't have to do that and a show of good faith. If you can hack into NASA, etc, who is to blame a small company. Kudos to them with handling this.
Silverleaf Vineyard & Winery / Old Mission Hops Exchange / Porchside Vineyard / The North York Brewing Company