Sanitation for long dormant LBK

Yes BrewDemon and Mr. Beer kits are pretty darn easy but sometime you need a little help from the Borg to get you on the right track. Post your questions here!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Philmin9

Sanitation for long dormant LBK

Post by Philmin9 »

I'm brewing tomorrow night with a buddy of mine, we've both been out of the hobby for a bit, and i've recently moved. The keg I'm going to be fermenting in hasn't been used in about a year. My question is, is the standard cleaner that comes with a Mr. Beer recipe sufficient, or should I go a little more heavy duty with the sanitation? i was debating using a bleach solution before I sanitized, just to try to kill anything stubborn the standard cleaner might not take care of.
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Re: Sanitation for long dormant LBK

Post by RickBeer »

First, how's it been stored? In a filthy garage or basement with leaves and mice inside? Or in a box?

I'd simply wash it, examine it in bright light to ensure it's clean, and sanitize as normal.
I have over 9,000 posts on "another forum", which means absolutely nothing. Mr. Beer January 2014 Brewer of the Month with all the pomp and circumstance that comes with it...

Certificate in Brewing and Distillation Technology

Sites to find beer making supplies: Adventures in Homebrewing - Mr. Beer - MoreBeer
My Beer - click to reveal
Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone
Irish Hills Red - I call this "Ann Arbor Red"
Mackinac Island Red - I call this "Michigan Red"
Oatmeal Stout - I call this Not Fat, Stout - Oatmeal Stout

Bottled 5 gallons of Ann Arbor Red on 4/18/17. Bottled 5 gallons of Michigan Red on 5/8/17.

Brewed in 2017 - 22.13 gallons (19.91 in 2012, 48.06 in 2013, 61.39 in 2014, 84.26 in 2015,46.39 in 2016)
Brewed in lifetime - 282.14 gallons
Drinkable beer on hand -  13.58 cases, with 6.11 cases ready in May and early June.
Average cost per 12 pack through all beer brewed - $6.27(ingredients only)
Brewbirds
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Brewbirds »

+1 To what Rick said, if it was put away clean. What I like do is use a liquid dish detergent that has no color or fragrance added ( Seventh Generation is one) and put a feww drops in the LBK with about a half quart of warm water and after I clean it good with a wash cloth I put the lid on and shake it like crazy. With the inside of the LBK full of white suds when you hold it up to the light any remaining crud will stand out as a dark spot.

Don't forget to dismantle the spigot and remove the gasket, to get it good and clean you might consider a Q-tip for a thorough going over.

If you have Star San use it but the One Step should be fine as long as it is clean.

:cheers:
Sibling Brewers
gwcr

Post by gwcr »

Yep. Do NOT use a bleach solution unless you want to rinse it for a few hours to get rid of the bleach smell. Oxyclean Free is always a great choice for cleaning. Then as Rick said, sanitize as normal and you should be good to go!
Fermenting: Bucket 1 - Fresh Squeezed IPA; Bucket 2 - Empty

Kegged: Keg 1 - Irish Red; Keg 2 - Cream Ale; Keg 3 - Amber Ale; Keg 4 - APA; Keg 5 - Empty; Keg 6 - Empty; Keg 7 - Empty
The reason why the above list is so small Home Theater Build
Philmin9

Post by Philmin9 »

I've kept it clean and dry in the same closet I keep my work clothes. i was asking because I was hoping to avoid bleaching it, which the consensus is I can skip. I have plenty of oxiclean, so I'll just wash it with scent free dish soap and proceed as normal. Thanks guys!
BigJack

Post by BigJack »

+1 on oxyclean free. A long soak with that cures neglect and funk for sure.
Last edited by BigJack on Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tomtravelino

Post by tomtravelino »

Agree on the oxiclean. I use it for my lbk's, ale pails and even for removing labels from beer bottles. I consider it a must have.

As others have said once clean, sanatize and fill. Then the wait...
Foothiller
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented
Location: Northern CA (Sierra foothills) / Interests: BJCP Certified

Post by Foothiller »

I have become a fan of sanitation. If it was stored so it stayed clean, I would let it soak in oxyclean free for a day, wipe the inside well with paper towels, rinse well, then wash again with the purest dye-free and fragrance-free dishwashing soap I can find, wipe again, and rinse well. I used bleach one time when I started making wine (before learning to make beer), and didn't like the amount of follow-up that my fermenting bucket needed to lose the bleach smell.
Philmin9

Post by Philmin9 »

I'm going to soak my lbk in oxiclean while we brew my buddies beer first. He just got his first Mr. Beer kit, and since I brew almost exclusively with Mr. Beer, I'm giving him a hand with his first batch. Hopefully we can make something good for him, and get my keg clean enough that no nasties will remain. I think a few hours of soaking after a couple washing will keep everything nice and clean though.
Brewbirds
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Brewbirds »

Oh and I should have asked is the One Step new or old? If it has been in storage as well you might want to get some fresh just to be safe.
Sibling Brewers
Philmin9

Post by Philmin9 »

The One Step just came with the recipes I ordered recently from Mr. Beer, so I think I should be fine in that regard
Gymrat
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Gymrat »

I might add that one step is considered a cleaner and does a very good job of it. If you stored clean and dry I would just wash it down with One Step and call it good.