2 brewdemon bottles flat

Yes BrewDemon and Mr. Beer kits are pretty darn easy but sometime you need a little help from the Borg to get you on the right track. Post your questions here!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

rogermccune

2 brewdemon bottles flat

Post by rogermccune »

Finished my Pilsner that came with the kit. 6 bottles turned out great. One was totally flat and another was barely drinkable. Followed instructions to the letter and let the bottles sit 8 days consistently at 70 degrees before I put them in the fridge. Since I am new to this, I was wondering if I should have let them carbonate longer or if I have a cap issue or just how common this is. Thanks.
Beer-lord

Re: 2 brewdemon bottles flat

Post by Beer-lord »

It could be a few things but in reality, 2 weeks is the minimum, not just for carbing but for clearing. Many let them go a week or two longer.
Since many people don't have the patience and want their beer ASAP, the companies want you to believe 8 days is enough. That's simply not. However, the amount the sugar as well as the bottle size could also make a difference. And then there's the caps. Were they on tight?
I would take the rest out the refrigerator, let them sit another 10-14 days and try one again putting it in the fridge 24 or more hours before you want to try it.
To me, patience is the hardest part of this hobby.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by RickBeer »

Assuming you did put in sugar or sugar tablets in the bottles, and at the proper amount, then the following will be helpful:

4 weeks (not 8 days) at 70 or higher to properly carbonate and condition.

3 weeks fermentation, with temps ideally at 65 (wort temp, not air temp) - this has no impact on carbonation, just better quality product.

"Barely drinkable" is to vague to comment on, apparently it's not "flat beer" so provide more info. I'll guess that it was the last bottle, you got a bunch of trub in it (dead yeast piled up on the bottom of the LBK), and then you either drank out of the bottle or stirred it up pouring it.

GENTLY pour into a glass, leaving the last 1/4 inch in the bottle. When it turns cloudy, stop pouring.

:bbwelc:
I have over 9,000 posts on "another forum", which means absolutely nothing. Mr. Beer January 2014 Brewer of the Month with all the pomp and circumstance that comes with it...

Certificate in Brewing and Distillation Technology

Sites to find beer making supplies: Adventures in Homebrewing - Mr. Beer - MoreBeer
My Beer - click to reveal
Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone
Irish Hills Red - I call this "Ann Arbor Red"
Mackinac Island Red - I call this "Michigan Red"
Oatmeal Stout - I call this Not Fat, Stout - Oatmeal Stout

Bottled 5 gallons of Ann Arbor Red on 4/18/17. Bottled 5 gallons of Michigan Red on 5/8/17.

Brewed in 2017 - 22.13 gallons (19.91 in 2012, 48.06 in 2013, 61.39 in 2014, 84.26 in 2015,46.39 in 2016)
Brewed in lifetime - 282.14 gallons
Drinkable beer on hand -  13.58 cases, with 6.11 cases ready in May and early June.
Average cost per 12 pack through all beer brewed - $6.27(ingredients only)
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

Welcome Roger! I had trouble with my first batch carbing too, in my case it was cool winter temps. I put them on top of the hutch for warmer air. Since most of yours are properly carbed, it may be that the cap was loose, or possibly you missed adding sugar to one?
In any case, producing good beer is a great first step. Keep studying and practicing, your beer will become great.
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.
rogermccune

Post by rogermccune »

Thanks for all of the help. I will let them sit longer on my next batch. Getting ready to start the brown. It.
ebbz

Post by ebbz »

rogermccune wrote:Finished my Pilsner that came with the kit. 6 bottles turned out great. One was totally flat and another was barely drinkable. Followed instructions to the letter and let the bottles sit 8 days consistently at 70 degrees before I put them in the fridge. Since I am new to this, I was wondering if I should have let them carbonate longer or if I have a cap issue or just how common this is. Thanks.
Did you bottle prime or batch prime?
LLAP

-In Cervesia Veritas
rogermccune

Post by rogermccune »

I bottle primed each bottle as the instructions said
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by RickBeer »

Then priming had no impact. 3 weeks fermenting, 65 degrees. 4 or more weeks carbonation and conditioning, 70 or above. 3+ days in the fridge, only put in what you will drink in 3 days, leaving the rest at 70 or higher.
I have over 9,000 posts on "another forum", which means absolutely nothing. Mr. Beer January 2014 Brewer of the Month with all the pomp and circumstance that comes with it...

Certificate in Brewing and Distillation Technology

Sites to find beer making supplies: Adventures in Homebrewing - Mr. Beer - MoreBeer
My Beer - click to reveal
Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone
Irish Hills Red - I call this "Ann Arbor Red"
Mackinac Island Red - I call this "Michigan Red"
Oatmeal Stout - I call this Not Fat, Stout - Oatmeal Stout

Bottled 5 gallons of Ann Arbor Red on 4/18/17. Bottled 5 gallons of Michigan Red on 5/8/17.

Brewed in 2017 - 22.13 gallons (19.91 in 2012, 48.06 in 2013, 61.39 in 2014, 84.26 in 2015,46.39 in 2016)
Brewed in lifetime - 282.14 gallons
Drinkable beer on hand -  13.58 cases, with 6.11 cases ready in May and early June.
Average cost per 12 pack through all beer brewed - $6.27(ingredients only)
ebbz

Post by ebbz »

rogermccune wrote:I bottle primed each bottle as the instructions said
Is it possible you just missed putting sugar in the bottles? I did that myself a few times.
LLAP

-In Cervesia Veritas
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

I can offer one extra bit of advice when using PETs / screw on caps.

So bottle your beer and put on the caps as usual.

Then let them sit for a little bit (IE go clean your fermenter then come back to the bottles).

Then see if you can tighten the caps. You might be surprised that some of them will probably tighten a bit more even though they seemed tight the first pass.
rogermccune

Post by rogermccune »

Ok. Thanks for the tip. I will try that. My second batch is fermenting now.