2 liter bottles

Yes BrewDemon and Mr. Beer kits are pretty darn easy but sometime you need a little help from the Borg to get you on the right track. Post your questions here!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Hayzer
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

2 liter bottles

Post by Hayzer »

Can I bottle into 2-liter bottles? Is it safe to use cleaned and sanitized coca-cola bottles for home brews?

My brew won't see sunlight until it's poured into a glass. Storage is a piece of cake and I am pretty sure I can go overkill on the sanitizing.

So has this been done before?
Bent Knee Brewery - Brewed near the Poosey
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Re: 2 liter bottles

Post by bpgreen »

Those are fine to use for bottling beer. You should be able to use any bottle that previously held a carbonated beverage. Bottles that held non carbonated beverages (like water bottles) aren't a good idea because they likely can't stand up to the pressure.

One potential drawback to a 2 liter bottle is that it's usually best to open a bottle, pour it all in one pour and drink it then, and 2 liters seems like a lot for one sitting (but I may just be an amateur).

Root beer bottles have a tendency to keep the root beer smell, but I had good luck getting rid of it by first rinsing in cold water a few times, then soaking in oxiclean free.
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

Hayzer wrote:Can I bottle into 2-liter bottles? Is it safe to use cleaned and sanitized coca-cola bottles for home brews?
Yes can be used. most any bottles that were used for carbonated liquid will work for beer.
Hayzer wrote: My brew won't see sunlight until it's poured into a glass.
And that is all well and good but getting a good pour out of a 2 Litre to put in a glass might not be so good, maybe into a pitcher on one pour will work, but quite a little bit of beer to be drank in one setting at least by your self.
Hayzer wrote: So has this been done before?
Yes
Edit: Sorry Brian you had this question covered and answered while I was still typing my reply, but are on the same page.... :clink:
Happy Hound Brewery

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

:: suddenly has the urge to brew 10th century 2% Holy Roman Empire style monks beer and consume it in mass quantities ::
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by RickBeer »

If you pour multiple glasses at the same time, keep the bottle tilted in your hand to avoid stirring things up.

And it is sunlight and flourescent light. Closet, or in a bag.
I have over 9,000 posts on "another forum", which means absolutely nothing. Mr. Beer January 2014 Brewer of the Month with all the pomp and circumstance that comes with it...

Certificate in Brewing and Distillation Technology

Sites to find beer making supplies: Adventures in Homebrewing - Mr. Beer - MoreBeer
My Beer - click to reveal
Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone
Irish Hills Red - I call this "Ann Arbor Red"
Mackinac Island Red - I call this "Michigan Red"
Oatmeal Stout - I call this Not Fat, Stout - Oatmeal Stout

Bottled 5 gallons of Ann Arbor Red on 4/18/17. Bottled 5 gallons of Michigan Red on 5/8/17.

Brewed in 2017 - 22.13 gallons (19.91 in 2012, 48.06 in 2013, 61.39 in 2014, 84.26 in 2015,46.39 in 2016)
Brewed in lifetime - 282.14 gallons
Drinkable beer on hand -  13.58 cases, with 6.11 cases ready in May and early June.
Average cost per 12 pack through all beer brewed - $6.27(ingredients only)
Dawg LB Steve
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Dawg LB Steve »

Really nothing different than having a full growler and opening it, probably have about a bit less than a week to finish it before it goes flat.
:cheers:
MONTUCKY BREWING
Currently brewing:

Next Up?
Kolsch?
Ginger Beer?
Traveling Red?
Yazoo Gerst Clone?
Peanut Butter Porter?

Currently Conditioning:
Cherry Mead
California Moscato

Currently enjoying:
Hardly Apple Cider on tap
Hardly Cherry Lime-Aid on tap
Oktoberfestive-Ale on tap
PGA Cider (Pear, Ginger, Apple) on tap 3rd Founders Cup 2016 King Of The Mountain on tap
Bottoms Up Brown on tap GOLD 2016 Ohio Brew Week Silver 2016 Ohio State Fair Silver 2016 Son of Brewzilla, Silver 2015 Son of Brewzilla, Bronze 2015 King Of The Mountain on tap
NITWIT BELGIAN STRONG ALE Banjo-Dawg RCE bottled
DAWG LB PALE ALE bottled
CITRA SLAPPED AMBER ALE bottle
MO FREEDOM SMaSH bottle
HOP TO IT IMPERIAL IPA bottle

Medal Count
Gold 3
Silver 5
Bronze 5
Actively brewing since December 2013
Hayzer
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Post by Hayzer »

Dawg LB Steve wrote:Really nothing different than having a full growler and opening it, probably have about a bit less than a week to finish it before it goes flat.
berryman wrote:maybe into a pitcher on one pour will work, but quite a little bit of beer to be drank in one setting at least by your self.
It's only about 5 cans of beer. At 4.6-5% that's just a good start :chug:
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

Dawg LB Steve wrote:Really nothing different than having a full growler and opening it, probably have about a bit less than a week to finish it before it goes flat.
Yes true, but thinking on the lines of a bottle carb bottle every pour mix in more trub.
Happy Hound Brewery

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison
Hayzer
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Post by Hayzer »

berryman wrote:
Yes true, but thinking on the lines of a bottle carb bottle every pour mix in more trub.
Hey Berryman, I eat that trub in my almost famous (in our house) Trub Bread. Why can't I drink it? LOL One of my favorite beers is Hacker-Pschorr Weissbier and it always seems to have some sediment in each bottle. I try to transfer that goodness into my glass. It's like having a meal with your drink.

I revisited this post about the 2-liter bottling, because I had just bottled Oatmeal Stout into 1-liter and 2-liter bottles last week. No bombs yet! I think if I pour 3-4 glasses for friends, while keeping the liters slightly tilted between pours I'll get some good pours. Although on the last glass to fill, I will leave a few ounces in the bottom of the 2-liter to swirl and dump into my glass.
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by RickBeer »

There is nothing wrong with drinking the trub in your beer. For some styles, a good beer server will ask the customer if they want the pour with our without the yeast at the bottom. A good beer server will also pour a large bottle as you noted, with it tilted so that there isn't any mixing between glasses as they go around the table.

In some styles, it will cloud (great play on words) the taste too much.

The only harm that can come from drinking the trub is if your system isn't used to it. It can quickly clean you out, and sometimes will produce extreme gaseousness, sometimes painful. Of course, if instead of entering a beer competition you're at an establishment that offers Friday Night Fart Night competitions, you might win and make us all proud. Well, everyone but your better half.
I have over 9,000 posts on "another forum", which means absolutely nothing. Mr. Beer January 2014 Brewer of the Month with all the pomp and circumstance that comes with it...

Certificate in Brewing and Distillation Technology

Sites to find beer making supplies: Adventures in Homebrewing - Mr. Beer - MoreBeer
My Beer - click to reveal
Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone
Irish Hills Red - I call this "Ann Arbor Red"
Mackinac Island Red - I call this "Michigan Red"
Oatmeal Stout - I call this Not Fat, Stout - Oatmeal Stout

Bottled 5 gallons of Ann Arbor Red on 4/18/17. Bottled 5 gallons of Michigan Red on 5/8/17.

Brewed in 2017 - 22.13 gallons (19.91 in 2012, 48.06 in 2013, 61.39 in 2014, 84.26 in 2015,46.39 in 2016)
Brewed in lifetime - 282.14 gallons
Drinkable beer on hand -  13.58 cases, with 6.11 cases ready in May and early June.
Average cost per 12 pack through all beer brewed - $6.27(ingredients only)
Hayzer
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Post by Hayzer »

FYI~The 1 and 2-liter bottling of this brew turned out great! Everyone seemed to enjoy it (it's all gone) and nobody shat through a screen door, so I guess it all worked out. I'll be doing more bottling into 1 and 2-liters in the future. I thought it poured just fine into several glasses and not all at the same time. I had one 2-liter bottle that wasn't used up for a couple days and it poured the same as the day I first opened it. As always, thanks for the advice!
BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

Good to hear. Well done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
Tisby

Post by Tisby »

Hayzer wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:50 am FYI~The 1 and 2-liter bottling of this brew turned out great! Everyone seemed to enjoy it (it's all gone) and nobody shat through a screen door, so I guess it all worked out. I'll make sure to try these rangefinder binoculars and be doing more bottling into 1 and 2-liters in the future. I thought it poured just fine into several glasses and not all at the same time. I had one 2-liter bottle that wasn't used up for a couple days and it poured the same as the day I first opened it. As always, thanks for the advice!
Man, I proposed this to my brewing buddies and I was pretty much ridiculed haha. I'm going to use coca cola bottles too from now on. And rub some noses in with this thread.
Last edited by Tisby on Tue Mar 05, 2024 6:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

Welcome aboard Tisby! Glad you found something helpful. I haven't tried two liter soda bottles, but I have used 12oz ones. That way when I ship them, they won't break, even if they freeze.
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.
TonyKZ1
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by TonyKZ1 »

Yep, I've still got quite a few 1 Liter Mr. Beer & BrewDemon plastic bottles. I use them from time to time depending on what recipe I'm brewing as I usually only share the 12 oz. glass bottles and keep the 1 Liters for us. That Bastard Stepson RootBeer that I just bottled is one of those recipes as we like it quite a bit especially over ice cream for a hard root beer float.
Bailey's Billy Goat Brews