Pear Cider

Share a basic extract recipe that you like or want to get feedback from the Borg.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

NxQ

Pear Cider

Post by NxQ »

Anyone brewed MB Pear Cider? Just looking for a comparison - finished conditioning (4 weeks - added 0.5 lb lactose to the extract also before brewing) and sampled: good carbonation, clear "pear" flavor but very tart and cider-y. Hoping a few more weeks will mellow it out, but definitely drinkable - just a certain lemony tone. Just didn't know how much pucker factor there should be when it's done...thanks!
dad2all5
Freshly Brewed
Freshly Brewed

Re: Pear Cider

Post by dad2all5 »

Sounds like it needs to mellow, usually 8 weeks for cider imo to mellow, in a cool dry enviroment.
BE THE CHANGE YOU WANT. (THE CHILDREN NEED POSITIVE ROLE MODELS) HAVE YOU CHANGED TODAY?
BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

You've got the same exact description that I would write. I bottled mine on 6/9/13. It is slowly getting better. That tart and cidery is going away. And I've noticed that the pear flavor is coming through a little more too. Your right, it's drinkable now, but more time will help this tremendously.
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
NxQ

Post by NxQ »

Thanks! Also brewed the MB Apple Cider, in the bottle a little longer and it seems to be developing nicely, but didn't start out with the "tang" of the Pear - I'll give it a little more legroom....
BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

I did not do the apple cider. I was surprised by that tang in the pear cider too.
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck