My First Brew Ever! ...and a few questions

Yes BrewDemon and Mr. Beer kits are pretty darn easy but sometime you need a little help from the Borg to get you on the right track. Post your questions here!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

FedoraDave
FedoraDave
FedoraDave

Re: My First Brew Ever! ...and a few questions

Post by FedoraDave »

Good advice, Birdie.

And, Caps, your first brew day was filled with some mishaps. Not unusual. And yet you seem to have made beer. That's another lesson to take away from this experience; unless you do something really out of the loop, the beer knows what to do. Just provide a good environment for it, and it'll be fine.

And N00bs aren't the only ones who have brewing mishaps. Like the time my manifold came off the spigot nipple in my mash tun, and I tried to re-attach it by sticking my hand down into 150 degree wet grains. NOTE: Don't do this. Ever. Eventually I scooped enough of the mashed grains out to get the job done, then scooped them back in, ran my first runnings, and continued with the sparge, boil, etc. And you know what? The beer turned out fine. My point is, this happened to a fairly advanced brewer, and I know it won't be my last eff-up. One thing this hobby teaches you over time is to roll with the punches.

Birdie's advice on practicing pouring the wort using water is a good one, and I'll add that it's easier to control the flow of said pour by pouring toward you. In other words, hold the pot over the fermenter and tilt it toward you, rather than trying to pour from the side, or from some other direction. And relax your shoulders while you're doing it. I've gotten to where I can do a full-volume 2.5 gallon pour without spilling a drop of precious wort. It just takes a little practice.

Birdie is also correct about the folks here wanting nothing more than to help each other make the best beer we can. We all pretty much started at the same place, which is where you are now, Caps. And we don't forget what we experienced, what we asked, what we learned, or the friendly, helpful tips we got. Besides, we're a doggone funny bunch of people, too. You found the right place, is what I'm saying. In six months' time, you'll be giving excellent advice to the guys who got a beer kit for Father's Day. Seriously. You will.
Obey The Hat!

http://www.homebrew-with-the-hat.com

Some regard me as a Sensei of Brewing
Fedora Brauhaus
Up Next:
Littlejohn's Ale
Fermenting/Conditioning
Old Smokey Amber Ale -- 100 Years War IPA -- Ottertoberfest
Drinking:
Rocking Chair Orange Wheat -- South Ferry Steam Beer
Brewbirds
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Brewbirds »

FedoraDave wrote:Good advice, Birdie.

And, Caps, your first brew day was filled with some mishaps. Not unusual. And yet you seem to have made beer. That's another lesson to take away from this experience; unless you do something really out of the loop, the beer knows what to do. Just provide a good environment for it, and it'll be fine.

And N00bs aren't the only ones who have brewing mishaps. Like the time my manifold came off the spigot nipple in my mash tun, and I tried to re-attach it by sticking my hand down into 150 degree wet grains. NOTE: Don't do this. Ever. Eventually I scooped enough of the mashed grains out to get the job done, then scooped them back in, ran my first runnings, and continued with the sparge, boil, etc. And you know what? The beer turned out fine. My point is, this happened to a fairly advanced brewer, and I know it won't be my last eff-up. One thing this hobby teaches you over time is to roll with the punches.

Birdie's advice on practicing pouring the wort using water is a good one, and I'll add that it's easier to control the flow of said pour by pouring toward you. In other words, hold the pot over the fermenter and tilt it toward you, rather than trying to pour from the side, or from some other direction. And relax your shoulders while you're doing it. I've gotten to where I can do a full-volume 2.5 gallon pour without spilling a drop of precious wort. It just takes a little practice.

Birdie is also correct about the folks here wanting nothing more than to help each other make the best beer we can. We all pretty much started at the same place, which is where you are now, Caps. And we don't forget what we experienced, what we asked, what we learned, or the friendly, helpful tips we got. Besides, we're a doggone funny bunch of people, too. You found the right place, is what I'm saying. In six months' time, you'll be giving excellent advice to the guys who got a beer kit for Father's Day. Seriously. You will.
Is there a "bow to our spiritual leader emoticon?

Fedora Dave leads us all into the world of home brewing with the wisdom, grace and simplicity that you will find nowhere else in forum land.
Sibling Brewers
BeerRust
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by BeerRust »

I would also say, make a beer you like. Then make again with more experience that you gained, and you will likely see and taste some good differences .
Capitals82

Post by Capitals82 »

Great posts again guys! Yeah, I believe the reason I spilled the wort all over the place was because I used a pot that was MUCH larger than what was called for, hence the reason why it kind of spilled out. I also did pour the wort towards me instead of straight on or sideways. But I'm also pretty clumsy, so great recommendation to practice the pour for next time.

I don't know if I'll be giving excellent advice to anyone in six months from now (time will tell), with all of your great advice and wisdom it may happen. but you sure are a doggone funny bunch of people... I laughed when I read
spigot nipple in my mash tun
:jumpy:
Rock The Red!
FedoraDave
FedoraDave
FedoraDave

Post by FedoraDave »

What...that's what it's called. :huh:
Obey The Hat!

Fedora Brauhaus
Up Next:
Littlejohn's Ale
Fermenting/Conditioning
Drinking:
Capitals82

Post by Capitals82 »

I believe you Dave, it just sounded funny :)
Rock The Red!
FedoraDave
FedoraDave
FedoraDave

Post by FedoraDave »

Just wait till you build a mash tun, young man! Then you'll appreciate a manifold that fits snugly on the nipple of the spigot, mark my words!
Obey The Hat!

Fedora Brauhaus
Up Next:
Littlejohn's Ale
Fermenting/Conditioning
Drinking:
haerbob3
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by haerbob3 »

Nha................ do like the ladies................. a false bottom :lol: :lol: :lol:
im Leben Geduld ist eine Tugend
in Brau-es ist eine Anforderung

in life patience is a virtue
in brewing it is a requirement

You are stronger than you think you are!!!!
~~Andy Wesley 1973 -- 2013
FedoraDave
FedoraDave
FedoraDave

Post by FedoraDave »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Obey The Hat!

Fedora Brauhaus
Up Next:
Littlejohn's Ale
Fermenting/Conditioning
Drinking:
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime

Post by FrozenInTime »

Don't thunk I've said it yet... everything kinda slips from my tiny mind, so I will say it now....

Welcome to the forum! You'll love the Brew Demon kits, they ROCK!
Life is short, live it to it's fullest!
Capitals82

Post by Capitals82 »

Hahahaha, you guys are amazing! I had no idea what a mash tun was until I looked it up. I'm such a NOOB! haha, maybe I'll get there one day :fedora:
Rock The Red!
Brewbirds
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Brewbirds »

Capitals82 wrote:Hahahaha, you guys are amazing! I had no idea what a mash tun was until I looked it up. I'm such a NOOB! haha, maybe I'll get there one day :fedora:
Our resident Wiseman Philm00x even added a glossary to the :borg: (you'll like this FIT, I can't remember where it is :wow: ) but if you see a term that isn't there make sure and point it out so we can add it.

:cheers:
Sibling Brewers
gwcr

Post by gwcr »

Brewbirds wrote:
Capitals82 wrote:Hahahaha, you guys are amazing! I had no idea what a mash tun was until I looked it up. I'm such a NOOB! haha, maybe I'll get there one day :fedora:
Our resident Wiseman Philm00x even added a glossary to the :borg: (you'll like this FIT, I can't remember where it is :wow: ) but if you see a term that isn't there make sure and point it out so we can add it.

:cheers:
That glossary would be a sticky topic in the Beginner Brewing section. For easy reference, here is the link.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=46

For easier reference, it's near the top of the section that this thread is in... :whistle: :p
Fermenting: Bucket 1 - Fresh Squeezed IPA; Bucket 2 - Empty

Kegged: Keg 1 - Irish Red; Keg 2 - Cream Ale; Keg 3 - Amber Ale; Keg 4 - APA; Keg 5 - Empty; Keg 6 - Empty; Keg 7 - Empty
The reason why the above list is so small Home Theater Build
Brewbirds
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Brewbirds »

Please reference the comments on the "I'm getting old" thread and FIT's numerous memory loss observations followed by a quick search on what goes first in aging women. :p

Oh yes I did just open that one up for comment didn't I? :whistle: :laugh

Thanks for pointing Commish.
Sibling Brewers
gwcr

Post by gwcr »

Brewbirds wrote:Please reference the comments on the "I'm getting old" thread and FIT's numerous memory loss observations followed by a quick search on what goes first in aging women. :p

Oh yes I did just open that one up for comment didn't I? :whistle: :laugh

Thanks for pointing Commish.
Well, in my experience the first thing to go on an aging woman is...um...yeah right. I'm not falling for that trap. Women get better with age, end of story! :banana: :jumpy:
Fermenting: Bucket 1 - Fresh Squeezed IPA; Bucket 2 - Empty

Kegged: Keg 1 - Irish Red; Keg 2 - Cream Ale; Keg 3 - Amber Ale; Keg 4 - APA; Keg 5 - Empty; Keg 6 - Empty; Keg 7 - Empty
The reason why the above list is so small Home Theater Build